SPECTACULAR

SPECTACULAR

A Story by Marie
"

Ages of beauty...

"

     “Spectacular!” said nine-year old Devon, as he watched the sun set behind Whippoorwill Mountain. Lavender sheets covered the sky, with flashes of neon pink.

 

     “Spectacular!” fourteen year old Devon said, looking out at a thunderstorm. Silver knives slashed  the sky, as diamonds scattered everywhere.

 

     Devon was almost thirty when he saw the Grand Canyon. “Spectacular!” he said of its majestic stone walls that seemed carved by a mighty sculptors hand…the river of turquoise and silver tumbling below…

 

     Devon saw Niagara Falls at night when he was forty-five. “Spectacular!” he said, looking at the play of lights over the rushing water. Delicate rainbow mists filled the air with colour.

 

     “Spectacular!” Devon said at fifty-seven when he saw the Painted Desert. This was not bare sand, but sage, dusty rose, topaz…red rocks were striped with bronze and gold…

 

     Devon was past seventy when he saw the giant sequoia and said “Spectacular!” It gave him a sense of unshakeable foundation, as if it had roots buried in the center of the earth. Like a soldier it stood here through the buffetings of the world; would be standing when the world shook itself to pieces.

 

     At ninety-two Devon felt the end coming. He opened the weary eyes that would soon close forever and looked at a panorama containing sunsets, thunderstorms, the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, the desert and a giant sequoia. Then he saw past all these to something more beautiful than anything he had ever experienced. “Spectacular!” Devon said, for the last time in his life.

 

     Or the first.

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a great story. I like Devon, with his unshakable zeal for life. He reminds a bit of John Denver, who was just plain high on life. May we all find our inner Devon!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I wasn't thinking of John Denver when I wrote this, but you're right.
Such a beautiful story, we all need to stop and gasp at how spectacular the world is more often :) interesting twist at the end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1363 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 24, 2015
Last Updated on July 24, 2015
Tags: sunset, storm, canyon, end, sky

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic