He stood his ground

He stood his ground

A Poem by ron

He stood his ground

 




 

On a rocky cliff,

He was mortally hit.

 

On a rocky cliff he gave his life,

so his brothers could live.

 

Looking into his brothers eyes with broken back…

“I can’t continue on, tell my family I did my best. I’m sorry I failed you.”

His brothers new he would give his life with his last breath on that unknown hillside on that cold and winters day.

The last they heard was the sound of his M16 and the battle cry that resounds in their hearts to this day.

 

But they remembered…

The close shaved hair cut he wore, how his uniform was wrinkled, the smile he always wore even in the heat of battle.

This music he listened to…even the stuff no one liked.

The poetry he wrote, the stories he wanted to write

The way he listened. The look in his eye that said “I know what you’re going through.

They remembered all of that and more as they heard the last of the M16 rounds give way to the cries of the enemy as his barrel fell silent…and one last cry of defiance.

 

He was more than a solider, he was a brother.

 

I don’t know what else I could ever say for the ones who gave more than they were asked.

 

© 2015 ron


Author's Note

ron

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ron, I dont know what to say. Holy God but this moved me this morning.
Your homage - dignified, loving, full of honour and respect, filled with memories that must tear at the very soul but which ultimately raise the spirit.
I think you have written the most moving poem I have EVER read on here in all my years here.
I feel honoured that you asked me to review it. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ron

9 Years Ago

Thank you Anto. This never took place. I think I should make that disclaimer. But your words...I tha.. read more
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Your words moved me. You're very welcome R.
ron

9 Years Ago

Than I thank you Anto.



Reviews

One does not have to appreciate or understand war to honour the memories of the people who fight.

Posted 9 Years Ago


ron

9 Years Ago

So very true KL.
This is beautiful. It describes valor at its best in the midst the ugliness that is war. It's a love story really that you have brought to light to those who have never known the brotherhood and closeness formed within the military. This story is not only about the love his comrades had for him, but his for his comrades, and his willingness to give everything for them. That is a deep love.
Structurally, I had to look at this a couple of times, but I like it. The way he stands alone and the concreteness of that stand and mountains. and then the change to open narrative. It works well here and creates this very moving and powerful write. Very moving.

Posted 9 Years Ago


JayceeC

9 Years Ago

There was nothing more exciting than the squadron's return as a kid with all the fan fare. It usuall.. read more
ron

9 Years Ago

The "squadron's return?" I don't know that one.
JayceeC

9 Years Ago

when Dad's Squadron returned from a long TOD in Okinawa, they had a greeting. I remember getting al.. read more
Hit a sweet spot with this one

Thank you Ron for your service. And thank you for this beautiful poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


ron

9 Years Ago

Thank you and your welcome Chelsea.
Konigin

9 Years Ago

Welcome! :)
Wow this really was a moving poem. I know if any solider heard this they would know exactly what you meant. What a inspiring poem Ron! Great job. 1000/1000

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ron

9 Years Ago

Thank you Manda.
MandaBear

9 Years Ago

You're welcome =)
Ron, I dont know what to say. Holy God but this moved me this morning.
Your homage - dignified, loving, full of honour and respect, filled with memories that must tear at the very soul but which ultimately raise the spirit.
I think you have written the most moving poem I have EVER read on here in all my years here.
I feel honoured that you asked me to review it. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ron

9 Years Ago

Thank you Anto. This never took place. I think I should make that disclaimer. But your words...I tha.. read more
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Your words moved me. You're very welcome R.
ron

9 Years Ago

Than I thank you Anto.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 7, 2015
Last Updated on June 17, 2015

Author

ron
ron

Imperial, CA



About
I have been writing on and off or more years than i care to remember. I started writing poetry, than i started a novel (still in the works), now I'm writing a six part short story erotic.. more..

Writing
Fangs. Fangs.

A Poem by ron



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ashen Ashen

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Second Cup Second Cup

A Chapter by Matching Socks