PART 1 GOD'S ABUNDANT LIFE

PART 1 GOD'S ABUNDANT LIFE

A Chapter by rondo
"

What is God's abundant life?

"

Contents


Introduction

  1. What Is God’s Abundant Life?
  1. Where Does God’s Abundant Life Come From?
  1. What Inhibits the Believer from Experiencing God’s Abundant Life?
  1. What Will Help the Believer Experience God’s Abundant Life?

       5. What Do I Need to Do That Will Help Me Experience God’s Abundant Life?

       6. What Is the Ultimate Spiritual Condition Where the Believer Will Experience God’s Abundant Life to the Fullest?


It’s Just a Bunch of Malarkey


Endnotes

 

Introduction

What is God’s abundant life?

     Some would say that God’s abundant life refers to the blessings that he bestows on those who follow him. These blessings they say can take on the form of physical health, financial prosperity, finding the right mate, etc. This sounds good. God wants us to be happy, doesn’t he? Happiness has to do with outward blessings, right?

     Others might say that God’s abundant life has to do with living a life of sacrifice. This they say refers to: not owning a home; giving financially as much as one can to the church; volunteering to help those who are less fortunate; etc.

     It seems we have two distinct perspectives as to what God’s abundant life is about.

I can honestly say that when I was a youngster attending the Catholic faith with my parents I never heard the words God’s abundant life. Have you ever heard of these words?

     This study will help us find out what God’s abundant life is all about.

Can it be a benefit to us? In what way? Are you ready to find out?

 

CHAPTER 1

What Is God’s Abundant Life?

Let’s take a look at some scripture sections and find out.

I Am Come That They Might Have Life, and That They Might Have It More Abundantly:

Suggested Reading: John 10:1-16

1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Jesus said that he is the door of the sheepfold, and that if someone entered in some other way, the same is a thief and robber. The sheepfold was usually an enclosure made of rocks with one opening for the door. The shepherd (or porter) would guard the flock or Rocks, at night by lying across the opening of the door. In the morning, he would call the flock and they would recognize him by his voice. What we have learned is there are two ways to gain entrance to where the sheep are, the first is by going through the door entrance and the second is by going over the wall.

9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and  find pasture.

     Jesus said that if any go in the right way, another word by him, then he shall be saved (deliverance and protection), and subsequently shall go into the sheepfold for safety and out of it in order to find green pastures and still waters for nourishment and refreshment.                                               

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.                                         

     Jesus then warned of those whom he called thieves (the present religious leaders), who would come to steal (deceive), kill (ruin), and destroy (destruction) the flock. They could also be known as the thief of souls whose pretension to be a way to God was based on no inward and eternal reality. Their main purpose was to make the sheep their own treating them in an ungodly manner, which they were not able to recognize, and as such they were: not given to pasture, to be sacrificed for his selfish ends, to be used for his own purposes.    

     In contrast to them, Jesus said that he had come so that the sheep (the unbelieving Jews) might have life (eternal life; the life of the world to come); and that they might have it more abundantly (life within and a source of life for others; that which is superadded to make life happy). So, we can conclude that when a person enters in by Christ they are saved and will receive as a consequence of such life (the life of the world to come). This life is to be that which abounds in the believer. In the Greek, this word “life” is zooen, which is derived from the word zoe. We could also call this life, the zoe life. How does this take place? Before we attempt to answer this we still need to know as much as we can as to what this abundant life is about.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

     Along with the Jews there is also mentioned that there are also other sheep (unbelieving Gentiles) that he will bring into the sheepfold.

     From reading these verses do we have any idea about what God’s abundant life refers to? Yes, we do, in this context God’s abundant life refers to eternal life, the life of the world to come. Besides this it refers to having God’s life within, which is a source of life for others. This abundant life can also be said to be that which is superadded to make a person’s life happy.

 

How else can God’s abundant life be described? Please go to the book of Matthew.

And Ye Shall Find Rest unto Your Souls:   

Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.            

Jesus said that whosoever comes to him, he will give them rest. What does it mean to have rest? This word means to be provided with refreshment and rejuvenation.

     What is the basis for us being able to have this rest? The basis for having an opportunity to experience this rest is that we must first come to Christ.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

     Once we have come to him we need to take upon us his yoke and learn of him. To take upon oneself a yoke signifies any kind of obligation to do a particular thing. What is that particular thing that we should be obligated to do? It is to learn of him. To learn of him means to learn the truths that he teaches.                

     In summary, once we have come to Christ, we need to learn the truths that he teaches which will produce in us rest (refreshment and rejuvenation) into our souls. This word “rest” is analogous to experiencing God’s abundant life.

 

The verses that we will look at next in the book of John equate abundant life with rivers of living water. What are rivers of living water?

He That Believeth on Me, out of His Belly Shall Flow Rivers of Living Water:

Suggested Reading: John 7:2-53

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (John 7:37-38)

Jesus is attending the feast of Tabernacles. The feast of Tabernacles (Weeks) lasted for 8 days and was to be celebrated immediately after the harvest of corn, wine, and oil. This feast is celebrated at the end of the month of September and the beginning of the month October. It took its name from tents, which were erected either about the temple, public places, courts, gardens, and the flat roofs of houses, in commemoration of the 40 years wandering in the wilderness during which time their Jewish ancestors dwelt in booths (Leviticus 23:43).       

     In the beginning of the feast, all of the people cut down branches of palm trees, willow, and myrtle, and tied them together. These arrangements were then carried with them, when they prayed in the synagogue or when they walked around the altar in the temple singing Hosanna. On the 7th day of the feast, they walked around the altar seven times, which was called Hosanna Rabba. On the 8th day, a priest drew water from the pool at Siloam, and placed it in a golden vessel that contained wine. It was then poured over the morning sacrifice, while the people were singing.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

     On the last day of the feast, Jesus stood and said with a loud voice that whoever believes in him out of his belly will flow rivers of living water. Jesus was not saying that literally rivers of living water would pour out of their belly, but this spoke he of the Holy Spirit, who they should receive. However, this would not take place at this time, but after Jesus had been crucified on the cross, raised from the dead, and ascended into heaven to be seated at the right hand of the Father. Beginning on the day of Pentecost (commemorates the completion of the grain harvest), the Holy Spirit would be received (indwelt) by anyone who believed in Christ.

     When a person receives the indwelling Spirit into their life out of their belly will flow rivers of living water. What this refers to is the fact of the Holy Spirit satisfying the inner person (refreshment for oneself) and enabling them to bear fruit (an abundance of ever flowing streams for others). 

     What these verses are telling us about abundant life is that it is found in a person, this being another member of the trinity called the Holy Spirit. As such, it is referred to as being spiritual refreshment for one self and an abundance of ever flowing streams for others

 

In the book of Acts, abundant life relates to the words “times of refreshing”. Let’s see what these words mean.

When the Times of Refreshing Shall Come:

Suggested Reading: Acts 3:1-4:31                      

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (Acts 3:19)

A man, who was born crippled at birth, was placed at one of the 9 gates of the temple at Jerusalem to beg for money. He was healed by the Holy Spirit, through the intermediary of the apostle Peter. After the healing, he entered into the temple with the apostles Peter and John. The people knew of this man’s physical disability and were amazed at his healing.

     Peter then spoke to the people and said that it is through faith in the name of Jesus Christ that this man was healed. Then he said to them that they needed to repent (to have a change in one’s attitude or mind). They were to acknowledge their sins along with their wrong mindset concerning Christ as the Messiah; and be converted (turn to God by belief in this Christ, the Messiah). If they repented and believed, then their sins would be blotted out (wholly to remove the record, the charge, and every trace of the account against them) so that now they could experience the times of refreshing (divine peace and joy) in their life, which shall come from his presence. 

     What we can deduce is, the words abundant life can also be described by the words “times of refreshing”, which relate to divine peace and joy that comes from the presence of the Lord. 

 

In the next section, which is taken from the book of Romans, abundant life is equated with three words. Do you know what these three words are?

Who Art Thou That Judgest Another Man's Servant?

Suggested Reading: Romans 14:1-23

In the early church, there were many contentious issues. Three of them are presented here.

a.      Eating certain foods.

For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Romans 14:2-3)

The early churches were made up of Gentiles and Jews, many of whom continued to obey the mandates of the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law placed restrictions on the Jews as to what they were allowed to eat. In the church at Rome, there were some Gentiles who believed that they could eat whatever they wanted to and some Jews who proclaimed that a believer should only eat vegetables. This came to a head when the Jews and Gentiles met on the first day of the week for worship, the breaking of bread (communion), and the agape feast. An agape feast was an expression for the religious common meal of the church. Apparently, the Gentiles would bring meat and drink, which contained blood in them. Because of the dietary laws, the Jews were repulsed by these offerings and refused to continue to attend these gatherings. The resolution was for the Gentiles to no longer bring food or drink which had blood in them.

b.      Esteeming or Not Esteeming Certain Days.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord;… (Romans 14:5-6)

The Jewish believers considered certain days (e.g. Sabbath; feast days) to be more important than other days. The Gentiles believed that all days had the same value. If the Jews wanted to continue to observe the Sabbath that was up to them. What many of them decided to do was observe the Sabbath (the seventh day of the week), and then afterward (after 6:00pm) attend to the assembly of the believers on the following day (the first day of the week).

The leadership of the church would in their teachings clearly explain to the Jewish believers that they were allowed to continue to observe the tenets of the Mosaic Law. However, it would be made clear to them that no aspect of it could either provide salvation or sanctification.

 c.       Eating meat or anything that was offered in sacrifice to pagan idols.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. (Romans 14:14-15)

Some of the believers would attend pagan temples in order to partake of the free food that was made available from the animal sacrifice. In some cases, the pagan priests would take some of the food (meat) and bring it to the public markets for anyone to buy. When some of the believers, who had attended these pagan rituals regularly had decided since their conversion to Christianity that these practices should no longer be participated in they began to judge their fellow believers, who were still visiting these temples.

A solution to this idea of eating meats or drinking beverages associated with these feasts was announced. The believers were asked to no longer attend to the pagan temples for any reason. Along with this, if when they were in the meat market and became aware that the meat was from the pagan temple they were asked to not buy it. Furthermore, if a believer attended a festival and meat was offered they were advised not to ask where it came from. This would therefore release them from not being able to partake of it.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Romans 14:17)

God’s spiritual kingdom, his rule in our heart, is not based on meat and drink. This doesn’t mean that when issues arise we shouldn’t address them. However, God’s rule in our heart takes place or is produced in us by means of the Holy Spirit, who gives us his righteousness (upright character and disposition; integrity), peace (regulating, ruling, and harmonizing the heart), and joy (inner happiness without any kind of mental agony or fear).

This is another example of what God’s abundant life relates to. This life is righteousness (upright character and disposition; integrity), peace (regulating, ruling, and harmonizing the heart), and joy (inner happiness without any kind of mental agony or fear) in the Holy Spirit.

 

Another beautiful description of abundant life is found in the book of Colossians.

For you are dead:

Colossians 3:2-3

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God

The believers at Colossee were instructed to set their mind on heavenly realities and values, which are determined by the presence and power of the risen Christ, and not on the things of the earth, the things of which should not be our aim, goal, or master. For we, like them, are dead to the sin nature being separated from our former life and everything of an evil nature that pertains to it, having once and for all died with Christ through our identification with him at regeneration. And our new life, the inner life, the zoe life, the resurrection life which the saint enjoys, the eternal life given him as the motivating energy and directive agent of the new kind of life he lives, is hid (concealed and safe) with Christ in God.

 

Abundant life is analogous to another word called “fruit”. 

 But the Fruit of the Spirit:

Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

What is the fruit of the Spirit? The fruit of the Spirit can also be referred to as the graces (spiritual qualities; influences) of the Spirit; the result of the Spirit’s operation on the soul. We can ascribe the words abundant life to the graces of joy (inner rejoicing) and peace (tranquility of mind). As for the remaining graces, we could say that they express God’s abundant life in a particular manner in response to the circumstances of life. It appears that these graces need to be developed. As to how this is done will be looked at in a later chapter.

     The graces of the Spirit are as follows:

Love:Genuine love; self-sacrifice for the benefit of the one loved.

Joy: Inner rejoicing; does not depend on circumstances because it rests in God's sovereign control of all things.

Peace: Tranquility of mind as a result of a right relationship with God; a restoration of right relationships between people; the calm, quiet, and order, which take place in the justified soul, instead of doubts, fears, alarms, and dreadful forebodings (a strong inner feeling or notion of a future misfortune, evil, etc.).

Longsuffering: Remaining quiet when persecuted; patient endurance of wrong under ill-treatment, without anger or thought of revenge.

Gentleness: Mildness of temper; considerate of others when discipline is needed.

Goodness: Gracious giving (no strings attached); reaching out to others to do good even when it is not deserved.

Faith: Punctuality in performing promise; conscientious carefulness in preserving what is committed to our trust, in restoring it to its proper owner; in transacting the business confided to us; neither betraying the secret of our friend; nor disappointing the confidence of our employer.

Meekness: Humility; not being harsh with others; the right use of power and authority, power under control.

Temperance: The mastery of one's own desires and impulses. Galatians 5:22-23 

     God’s abundant life can be restated as being the fruit (spiritual qualities; graces; elements of character; influences) of the Spirit that are produced in us by the Spirit’s operation on our soul. Would you rather operate in the elements of character of the Spirit or in the elements of character (the fears, self-centeredness, feelings of future misfortunes, insecurities, doubts, passions, propensities, abuses of power and authority, thoughts of revenge, etc.) of the sin nature? 

 

 The final scriptural section we will look at is taken from the book of Hebrews. This will bring us again to the word “rest”. However, a different meaning for it will appear.

For We Which Have Believed Do Enter into Rest:

Suggested Reading: Hebrews 4:1-11

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (Hebrews 4:1, 9, 11)                    

     There remains a rest for the people of God. Let us fear, like the Israelites, who didn’t obtain rest in the land of Canaan, because they did not respond positively by accepting and believing the message, letting it find its way into their minds and making it their own. If they obeyed the message from God, then they would have been able to defeat their enemies and thus secure rest from them.         

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. (Genesis 2:2)

     Likewise, we have been promised an inward rest in our soul, a rest or freedom from our own works, which are works that are produced in our own power. This is a rest similar to what God had when he finished the work of creation. In order for us to enter into this rest, we must hear the gospel (the glad tidings of rest) from whoever is preaching it, thus responding positively to the word spoken by accepting and believing the message. We are to then take the word that we heard and let it find its way into our minds and make it our own. This rest in our soul is a rest that we are to enter into on a day to day, moment by moment basis. In order for this to happen we are instructed to labor (try very hard) to enter this rest.

     After responding to the gospel, we should to go to a Spirit-filled church so that we can hear the word spoke from those in leadership, which is designed to provide rest in our soul, a rest which can be obtained by believing the message, letting it find its way into our minds, and making it our own so that we can have victory over our enemies (those from within and those from without).

    This word “rest” points back to God's original rest and speaks of the ideal rest. It is a Sabbath rest because the believer reaches a definite stage of attainment and has satisfactorily accomplished a purpose, as God did when he finished the work of creation. It is not the believer's rest into which he enters and in which he participates, but in God's unique, personal rest in which the believer shares. This rest will result in: a cessation from toil; and a rest similar to that of God-the same kind of enjoyment, the same freedom from care, anxiety, and labor. How happy then are they who have entered into heaven! Their toils are over. Their labors are done. Never again will they know fatigue. Never more will they feel anxious care. In this respect, God’s abundant life can be described as a rest that provides freedom from our own works, an inward rest in our soul.

     So, there you have it. What is God’s abundant life? Let’s summarize.

God’s abundant life is:

�-�Having eternal life within, making one’s life happy, which also serves as a source of life for others. John 10:10

�-�Entering into rest (refreshment and rejuvenation) for our souls. Matthew 11:28-30

�-�An abundance of spiritual refreshment for one self and ever flowing streams for others. John 7:37-39

�-�Experiencing times of refreshing (divine peace and joy) in one’s life. Acts 3:19

�-�Righteousness (upright character and disposition; integrity), peace (regulating, ruling, and harmonizing the heart), and joy (inner happiness without any kind of mental agony or fear). Romans 14:17

�-�The resurrection life which the saint enjoys; the motivating energy and directive agent of the new kind of life he lives. Colossians 3:2-3

�-�Peace (tranquility of mind) and joy (inner rejoicing). Galatians 5:22-23

�-�An inward rest that provides freedom from our works, cares, and anxieties in the soul. Hebrews 4:6

     We as believers have received life, eternal life at salvation, but can this life be that which impacts us on a daily basis? I believe that this is the dilemma for so many Christians. How can the life that God has given me become more operational in my life on a daily basis? There are many answers to this question. However, the first question I would like you to consider at this time is, where does this abundant life come from?

Weekly Messages: http://bit.ly/1N9SHdX           

Website: http://bit.ly/1RQnYJ8                            

Twitter: http://bit.ly/1mYHQ14                       

Facebook Author Page: http://on.fb.me/1Q0MJ3w                                                                    

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1WbFXKJ                 

Facebook Fan Page:  http://bit.ly/2lhMh6h                  



© 2017 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on June 24, 2017
Last Updated on June 24, 2017


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo