PART 3 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

PART 3 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

A Chapter by rondo
"

Were the Old Testament saints obligated to obey the Ten Commandments during the Age of the Incarnation of Christ?

"

CHAPTER 4

The Incarnation of Christ

From the Birth of Christ to the Day of Pentecost:

This period of time began with the virgin birth of the Messiah of the Jews, who is called Jesus Christ, God incarnate. When Jesus was 30 years old, he began his public ministry. He chose twelve disciples to accompany him, and began to teach concerning a new kingdom, which involved a new way of life that was to come. He lived a sinless life; was rejected by the Jews; crucified on a cross; paid the penalty for the sins of the whole world; forgave these sins; rose from the dead after 3 days never to die again; witnessed to or seen by many after his resurrection as he abided on earth in his glorified body for 40 days; and then ascended into heaven. The Mosaic Law, and all that pertained to it, was still in operation during this time.                  

                               

Remember,

A non-dispensationalist will look at scriptures, in which obeying the Ten Commandments were mentioned, and will choose those verses that support the perpetuation of this practice.

A dispensationalistwill look at scriptures, in which obeying the Ten Commandments were mentioned, and confine the conditions of this practice to the dispensation in which these verses were found.


      Just to remind us again, the Ten Commandments are:

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his a*s, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. (Exodus 20:1-17)


     This is an interesting time period. The Jews are still able to maintain their customs and observe all of the tenets of the Mosaic Law. Unbeknownst to them is, their Messiah has arrived on the scene. He frequents the synagogue on the Sabbath and attends the various feasts.

     Is it correct to assume that the example of Jesus in continuing to support the Jewish observances is indication that these practices are to be continued to be observed not only by the Jews, but also by Christians?

 

What did Jesus mean when he said that he came to fulfill the law?

5. The law: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil:

Suggested Reading: Matthew 5:1-2, 17-18

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (Matthew 5:17-18)

Jesus was in Galilee near Capernaum teaching the crowds. The scriptures in Matthew chapters 5-7 are otherwise known as the Sermon on the Mount. One of the many things that Jesus said was that he came not to destroy (deny the divine authority of) the law, or the prophets, but to fulfill (to embody them in living form accomplishing what was intended in them). The Law of Moses contained many sacrifices and rites which were designed to shadow forth the Messiah. These were fulfilled when Jesus came and offered himself as a sacrifice to God. The prophets contained many predictions respecting his coming and death, and these were all to be fulfilled and fully accomplished by his life and his sufferings.                                                 

                                      

Which is the greatest commandment?

6. Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Matthew 22:34-40

But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The scribes had documented 613 commandments in the Law. Which one or ones should be considered the most important?

     One of the Pharisees asked Jesus, Master, which is the great commandment or the most important one in the law? Jesus didn’t say that the Ten Commandments collectively were the most important one.  What he said was that the first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, and mind. Another word, if we have a right relationship with God, then we will have no problems with His commandments. The second commandment was to love your neighbor as thyself, which is a love that is without self-interest. In this regard, the love for our neighbor should spring from the love of God as its source.

     How does a person love the Lord with all of his heart, soul, and mind? The Pharisees must have thought to themselves, I have tried to love the Lord with all of my heart, soul, and mind by keeping the Ten Commandments. Little did they know that this love is a love, which cannot come from within, unless it is first received.

   

What is the basis for inheriting eternal life?

7. All these commandments have I observed from my youth:

Suggested Reading: Mark 10:17-27

And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. (Mark 10:17, 19--21)

A young man came to Jesus and asked him what he should do to inherit eternal life? Jesus reply was to mention whether he observed some of the Ten Commandments. The man responded by saying that he had observed all of these from his youth. It’s interesting that Jesus only mentioned six out of the ten.

     The four not mentioned are these:

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

     Why didn’t Jesus mention all ten of the commandments? It could simply be because he was emphasizing this man’s attitude toward his fellow men as the other four refer to man’s attitude toward God. It could also be because this person had a concept about how a person could obtain eternal life and that was by obeying the commandments in regard to how a person should treat their family and neighbor.

     Jesus didn’t say to the young man something like by the way I’m sorry you didn’t practice one of the commandments which you said you did. He told him to sell all that he had and give it to the poor and to take up the cross and follow Him. I don’t believe what Jesus said was that anyone who sells what they have and gives it to the poor will inherit eternal life. I think the message was that this was the area of weakness which would inhibit him from believing in Christ, the result of which being that he would not inherit eternal life.

     Another word, observing the Ten Commandments does not secure for anyone eternal life. God knows whatever trend, inclination, propensity, passion that will prevent each person of the human race from repenting and believing in his Son for salvation.

     Nothing was said about how this man obtained his riches. Were they given to him by means of an inheritance? Did he become rich through honest means?

     It appeared that according to the Law this young man was blameless, but was he? Yes, only in the sense of his external actions in regard to the six commandments that he claimed to have observed. However, it does appear that he violated one of the Ten Commandments? Do you know which one? I believe that it was the first one, “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”. His god was the sin of covetousness. He was devoted to wealth.

     Is it possible for a person to obey the Ten Commandments and receive eternal life?

  

If a person keeps the Ten Commandments will this serve as the basis for them receiving the indwelling Holy Spirit?

8. If ye love me, keep my commandments:

Suggested Reading: John 13:33;14: 5-21

Jesus is celebrating the Passover with his disciples. He told them that he would be with them a little longer and then he will go somewhere where they can’t go. Thomas, one of Jesus apostles, responded to him saying, Lord not only do we not know where you are going, but we don’t even know the way to get there. Jesus replied that He himself was the way to get where the Father is. Another word, if you want to come to the Father, then you must come to Jesus first.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (John 14:15-16)

     Then Jesus made this interesting statement. If you keep my commandments, then my Father will give you another Comforter.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26)

     The first question is, who is the Comforter? The Comforter is another member of the Godhead, this being the person of the Holy Spirit.

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (John 14:17)

     The second question is, what does it mean that the Father will give them another Comforter? It means that the Comforter will come and live inside of them.

     The final question is, what are these commandments, which if kept will cause the Father to send the Holy Spirit, who will come and indwell them? You might say that’s easy, it is probably referring to one of the following:

       ~   The Ten Commandments.

       ~   The two commandments, which sum up all the Law and the prophets.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:37-39)

       ~   Some other kind of commandments.


Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (John 14:1)

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) (John 7:37-39)

Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. (Acts 1:1-5)

     The word “commandments” means to obey Jesus teaching or to do what Jesus told them to do. What did Jesus tell his disciples to do in order for the indwelling Holy Spirit to be received? One of the things that he said to them was if you believe in God, believe also in me. He clarified this in another section of scripture when he said that whoever believed in Him would receive the indwelling Spirit following his glorification. Lastly, Jesus told his disciples where this would take place, which would be in an upper room where they were told to wait for this occurrence.

Summary

�-�Jesus didn’t come to destroy (deny the divine authority of) the law, or the prophets, but to embody them in living form accomplishing what was intended in them. The Law of Moses contained many sacrifices and rites which were designed to shadow forth the Messiah. These were fulfilled when he came and offered himself as a sacrifice to God. The prophets contained many predictions respecting his coming and death. These were all to be fulfilled and fully accomplished by his life and his sufferings. Matthew 5:1-2, 17-18

�-�The greatest commandment is to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, and mind. The second is to love your neighbor with this same love, which is a love that must first be received in order to give it out to others. Matthew 22:34-40

�-�The basis for inheriting eternal life was not by the keeping of the Ten Commandments? Mark 10:17-27

�-�Receiving the Holy Spirit is by obeying Jesus commandments, which were to believe in Him, and go to the place where he commanded them to wait for this occurrence to take place. John 13:33; 14:5-21

The dispensationalistwould not use any of the scriptural ideas from this dispensation in determining as to whether a Christian is obligated to obey the Ten Commandments. They would acknowledge that the Jews were still operating under the tenets of the Mosaic Law and thus were obligated to obey it. However, Jesus was letting them know that He was the fulfillment of their sacrifices and prophecies. He talked to his disciples about keeping His commandments (his teaching; what He told them to do) to receive the indwelling Spirit, which was not based on keeping the Ten Commandments, but by believing in Him and waiting in the place where he commanded them in order for this reception to take place.

The non-dispensationalist would start out by reiterating that the admonition given to Abraham and his sons in the book of Genesis to keep the Lord’s commandments was prophetic of the Jews receiving the Ten Commandments. The obligation of keeping the Ten Commandments not only continued during the time when the Jews entered the Promised Land of Canaan, but also during the time when Christ came to earth. The Jews believed that if they were able to keep the Ten Commandments, then they would inherit eternal life. Jesus never objected expressed to the Jews that they were no longer under obligation to keeping the Ten Commandments, therefore, he was indicating that this observance was something that believers in the New Testament should continue to obey.


Weekly Messages: http://bit.ly/1N9SHdX                               Website: http://bit.ly/1RQnYJ8                                          Twitter: http://bit.ly/1mYHQ14                                           Facebook Author Page: http://on.fb.me/1Q0MJ3w                                                     Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1WbFXKJ                                                       

 



© 2017 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on August 6, 2017
Last Updated on August 6, 2017


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo