PART 2 THE 7TH DAY SABBATH

PART 2 THE 7TH DAY SABBATH

A Chapter by rondo
"

Were those saints who lived during the Age of Israel obligated to observe the Sabbath?

"

CHAPTER  3

The Age of Israel

The Exodus of the Jews from Egypt to the birth of Christ:

     Moses lead the Jews out from their captivity in Egypt. They arrived at Mount Sinai, where he received the Ten Commandments along with instructions concerning the building of a tabernacle, which was a portable tent like structure, that was to be used in the worship of their God (Yahweh) throughout the wilderness wanderings to the land that God promised them to inhabit, the Promised Land of Canaan.  

     Joshua followed Moses as the next leader of the Jews. Under his leadership, the Jews would cross over the Jordan River and enter the land of Canaan thus becoming a nation of people. The spiritual ceremonies by which they would worship Yahweh along with the precise ethics they were to follow are: the testimonies (the laws directing the commemoration of certain events (e.g. Seventh year Sabbath rest; the 50th year, the year of Jubilee; the ordinance of the Passover; the feast of Unleavened Bread; etc.) and the civil statutes (e.g. laws for military service, diet, soil conservation, etc.), which were previously delineated by Moses to them during their wilderness wanderings, and are now instituted at this time.

     After Joshua died, the Jews were ruled by various leaders called judges for a period of about 400 years. God would raise up these judges to rule over Israel, when after a period of apostatizing from Him and being in subjection to a foreign nation, they would cry out to him for help in delivering them from their enemies.

     Following the period of the Judges, the Jews decided they wanted a king to rule over them. So, God allowed them to have their desire. Their first three kings, Saul, David, and Solomon ruled over the entire nation or 12 tribes of Israel. After the reign of Solomon, the nation split into two kingdoms. The Northern Kingdom of Israel was comprised of 10 tribes, and the Southern Kingdom of Judah was comprised of 2 tribes. Because of apostasy, the Northern Kingdom was invaded by the Assyrians and led away into captivity. Years later, the Southern Kingdom was also invaded and led away into captivity by the Babylonians. When the Babylonian captivity ended, the Jews began to return to their homeland.

       During this time, observing the 7th day Sabbath was mentioned frequently as it was a day set aside for the worshipping of Jehovah.

     A non-dispensationalist will look at many of the scripture sections where this observance was mentioned, and they will incorporate some of these verses in order to support the perpetuation or continuation of this practice for Christians today.

     The dispensationalist will look at the practice of keeping the Sabbath as it was used during a particular dispensation. Just because it was observed during a particular age doesn’t mean that it should be followed in a different age. Each age will determine whether this practice should be adhered to or not.

     Read the scriptural sections that follow along with the related content. Hopefully, these will help us to determine if this practice was not only being implemented at this time, but as to whether it should it be a practice that should be continued during the age in which we currently live. 

    

Where was the word “sabbath” first mentioned in the bible?

2.   Tomorrow is the rest of a holy sabbath unto the Lord:

Suggested Reading: Exodus 16:1-36

And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the Lord your God. (Exodus 16:11-12)

The first mention of the word “sabbath” is found in these verses. The children of Israel, after departing out of the land of Egypt, are in the wilderness of Sin complaining about the lack of food provisions. The Lord tells Moses that He will provide for them quail in the evening and manna in the morning. Manna, which was known as the bread which the Lord hath given you to eat, was to be gathered in the morning and eaten. It was not to be left over for the next day. On each morning of a new day, God would provide fresh manna. Manna would be provided for the children of Israel over the course of their 40 year wanderings in the wilderness.

And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. (Exodus 16:22-23)

     The Lord also instructed Moses to tell the people to gather a double amount of manna on the morning of the 6th day so that there would be enough left over to be eaten on the 7th day, which was to be called the holy Sabbath (a day of rest or cessation from work) unto the Lord. The grammatical structure of the Hebrew words “of the holy sabbath” should literally translate to the words “of a holy sabbath”. This seems to indicate that this declaration of observing this day was not only new to Moses, but also to the people of Israel. The absence of the article is a strong indication that the whole idea was new at any rate to those whom Moses was addressing.

 

Was the Sabbath observed by the Jews during their 40 year wanderings in the wilderness?

3. The sabbath: in it thou shalt not do any work:

Suggested Reading:  Exodus 19:9; Exodus 20:8-11

     In the 3rd month of their journeying toward the Promised Land of Canaan, having left their captivity in Egypt, the children of Israel are now in the desert of Sinai. Moses was called by God to go up to Mount Sinai. While there, God told him that He would come down in a thick cloud and speak to him before the people. When Moses comes down from the Mount, he stations the people so that they are at an appropriate distance away from the Mount for their safety.

     After which, he proceeds to go back up the Mount, where God gave him the Ten Commandments, which are written on two tablets of stone, along with testimonies, statutes, and judgments. Following this, he comes down from the mountain again, and writes God’s instructions on a papyrus scroll or on a large piece of leather, which was rendered as the Book of the covenant or the Book of God’s agreement with the people. Once recorded, he goes before the people letting them know what was contained in these declarations.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. (Exodus 20:8-11)

     One of the Ten Commandments they were given stated that they were to observe the 7th day Sabbath. Six days they were to work and on the 7th day they were to cease from it. Israel was to observe a day of rest each week so she could commemorate God's creation of the world in six days and His rest on the seventh day. The Sabbath was to be observed by the Jews during their 40 year wanderings in the wilderness.

     God resting on the 7th day of creation meant that He ceased to create or took a rest, whereas, the Sabbath day refers to man resting after becoming tired. By the way, this day was not to be a day of slothful inactivity, but of spiritual service through religious observances. So, by observing the Sabbath before her pagan neighbors Israel was expressing her faith in the personal God who created both the world and her as a nation.

                                                        

Do the words “for ever” mean perpetual?

4. Keep the sabbath for a perpetual covenant:

Suggested Reading: Exodus 31:13-17; Genesis 13:12-15; Exodus 3:8; Leviticus 26:14, 33, 43; 1 Chronicles 28:5-9

     Moses was told by God to come up to the Mount so that he might receive tables of stone, a law, and commandments, which will be used to teach the people. In Exodus chapters 25-31, the people were made aware of the necessity of building for God a sanctuary, where He would dwell. This sanctuary would be located inside a tent like structure, called a tabernacle. Along with this they were instructed to keep God’s Sabbaths.

Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. (Exodus 31:13-17)

     The Sabbath was to be a sign or distinguishing mark of difference for the Jews in contrast with other nations that they were under a special covenant with God, who made their nation a theocracy. The Sabbath marked Israel out as God's people. Observing the Sabbath showed that the Israelites were set apart (i.e., holy) to God14. And what I am going to say next is why some churches believe that this observance should be in effect today. The children of Israel were told that they were to keep the Sabbath for a perpetual covenant. Some say this word perpetual means eternally or forever. Others say it means that it was only to be observed until the dispensation or age of the Jews ended.

     With this in mind I will ask you this question. Is the observing of the 7th day Sabbath commensurate with the duration of the Jewish economy or was it to be observed throughout the rest of human history, which would include the churches (the assembly of Christian believers) of today?

       When I think of the word “perpetual”, to me it means forever. However, in the Hebrew language do the words “for ever” mean forever?

 

Do the words “for ever” mean forever?

     The word “for ever” (l olaam) occurs throughout the Old Testament when God initiated a commandment or request which says that if you do this or do that then such and such will continue “for ever”. Therefore, the word “for ever” means for ever with conditions. One of the examples of this idea concerns the land that God promised to Abram and his descendants.

Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom. And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.   (Genesis 13:12, 14-15)

     When Abram separated from his nephew Lot, Lot chose to dwell in the cities of the plain. Abram as a result decided to dwell in the land of Canaan. God promised to give to Abram and his seed all of the land that he could see northward, southward, eastward, and westward. This was a promise concerning land real estate for the Jews. As time passed, this land promise to Abram was reiterated by God to his son Isaac, and also to Isaac’s son Jacob. Jacob had 12 sons, one of whom was named Joseph, who eventually became food commissioner in Egypt for Pharaoh during which time there was a great famine. Through various circumstances his father Jacob and his brothers were allowed to relocate to Egypt where they would receive food sustenance. His family and subsequent descendants remained in Egypt for 430 years eventually becoming slaves to a different Pharaoh. God raised up a man named Moses to lead them out from this captivity and direct them to the land which was promised Abram, Isaac, Jacob and their descendants.

     A man named Joshua succeeded Moses before the children of Israel crossed over the Jordan River into the land of Canaan. When they did cross over, they set out to take over the land from the many enemies which resided there. Following Joshua’s death, two other forms of leadership were instituted the first being those known as judges and the latter being those known as kings.

And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites. (Exodus 3:8)

But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments; (Leviticus 26:14)

And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste. The land also shall be left of them, and shall enjoy her sabbaths, while she lieth desolate without them: and they shall accept of the punishment of their iniquity: because, even because they despised my judgments, and because their soul abhorred my statutes. (Leviticus 26:33, 43)

And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father. Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.  (1 Chronicles 28:6-7)

     During both of these different types of rule God continually reminded those in leadership and the people, that if they would obey his commands, they will continue to abide in the land “for ever” which he had given them. However, if they chose not to obey his commands, then they will be taken away captive and their land will become desolate.

     I hope that you are becoming aware of what was really going on here. The words “for ever” refers to God’s desire for his people, which was conditional based on whether they would continue to follow Him or not. Does the word “for ever” mean perpetual (eternal), no, this word refers to something that is conditional?

   

Were there other days other than the 7th day which were considered to be observed as a Sabbath?

5. The day of atonement is a sabbath day of rest:

Suggested Reading: Leviticus 16:3-31

And Aaron… And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the Lord at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the Lord, and the other lot for the scapegoat.  And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the Lord's lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness. (Leviticus 16:6-10)                                                                                                                                                            

For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever. (Leviticus 16:30-31)

Once a year on the 10th day of the 7th month five days before the feast of Tabernacles, the high priest would make atonement for the tabernacle, the altar, his own family, the priests, and all of the people. Two goats were taken. One was to be the sacrifice, which represented the sin offering or the payment for the sins of the people of Israel, and the other goat would have confessed over it all of the sins of the people. This second goat was lead into the wilderness, never to be heard from again. This is a picture of all of the sins of the people having been atoned for and taken away (forgiven; forgotten). 

     The day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) did not occur on the 7th day of the week. However, it was considered as a Sabbath, and therefore all of the restrictions that applied to the regular weekly 7th day Sabbath were applied here as well. This was the only Sabbath on which the people not only rested from work, but during which time they fasted.

     Although the word Sabbath refers especially to the seventh day of the week, we should note that in the Old Testament there were religious festivals that were also called "sabbaths." Examples of such include the Festival of Trumpets and the Feast of Booths (Tabernacles). Whether the Sabbath was consider the 7th day, the day of atonement, or one of the festivals every occupation was to rest; not only were ploughing and reaping, pressing wine and carrying goods, bearing burdens, carrying on trade, and holding markets prohibited, but collecting manna, gathering wood, and kindling fire for the purpose of boiling or baking.

 

Were the Jews obligated to observe the Sabbath at Jerusalem, where eventually a temple would be built?

6. The sabbath is to be observed wherever you live:  

Leviticus 23:3

During the wilderness wanderings the tabernacle, a tent like structure, was used by the Jews as a place for the worship of their God. Its exterior was called the holy place or tabernacle, which was where animal sacrifices were offered. The interior of it was called the holy of holies, where only the high priest was allowed to enter in.

Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.

     The Sabbath, which was a day set aside for religious purposes, included reflecting upon one’s redemption from Egyptian bondage. When the children of Israel eventually entered the Promised Land of Canaan it was made clear to them that the Sabbath was not to be observed solely where the tabernacle was pitched or where a temple would be built (at Jerusalem), but in every town and village of Canaan - in all your dwellings.  Another word, the Jews were not mandated to have to observe the Sabbath in the vicinity of the tabernacle nor were they obligated to have to travel to Jerusalem in order to observe the Sabbath.

 

Were the days that were considered to be observed as a sabbath always fall on the 7th day?

7. Sabbath days do not always fall on the 7th day: 

Suggested Reading: Leviticus 23:4-34      

These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. (Leviticus 23:4-8)      

Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; (Leviticus 23:16)

Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord. It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath. Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the Lord. Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the Lord seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath. (Leviticus 23:24, 27, 32, 34, 39)

There are a few feasts or festivals mentioned in these verses, which Moses conveyed to the people of Israel, these being: the Passover, the feast of the Unleavened Bread, the feast of weeks (Pentecost), the blowing of Trumpets, the day of Atonement, and the feast of Tabernacles (booths). These feasts are to be observed by the Jews, when they entered the Promise Land, the land of Canaan. Some of these feasts lasted for more than one day, and had one or more of their days observed as a Sabbath, even though they didn’t occur on the 7th day.

     What did each feast commemorate?

     The Feast of the Passover occurred on the 14 day of Abib and commemorated the final plague, which God initiated in the land of Egypt. In each house that the Jews were dwelling in, a lamb was killed and blood was applied to the doorposts. Any house on which no blood was applied would have the firstborn male and animals killed. As a result of this plague, Pharaoh finally decided to let the people go.

     The Feast of Unleavened Bread immediately followed after the Passover and lasted for seven days. The feast itself was observed on the final day. This feast signified that the children of Israel had to leave the land of Egypt in haste, and because of this they couldn’t wait for their bread to ferment. There was not enough time to allow the yeast to cause the bread to rise. The unleavened bread, which was likened to flatbread or a cracker, was sour, unpleasant, and unwholesome, and served to remind them of their Egyptian misery or slavery. The first and seventh day of this feast was as a Sabbath. On these days, only work, which was associated with or was in connection to one’s trade was prohibited. All other work such as preparing food, gathering wood, kindling fire, etc. was allowed.

     The Feast of Pentecost (harvest; the day of firstfruits) occurred once a year on the fiftieth day following 7 complete weeks beginning on the 16th day of the month Nisan. This commemorated the completion of the grain harvest. On this day, only work, which was associated with or is in connection to one’s trade was prohibited. All other work such as preparing food, gathering wood, kindling fire, etc. was allowed.   

     The day of Atonement occurred once a year, on the 10th day of the 7th month, and is a day which is as a Sabbath. However, it did not fall on the 7th day of the week. All of the restrictions concerning work as related to the weekly 7th day Sabbath were to be followed.

     The Feast of Trumpets, otherwise known as the feast of the New Moon or the Seventh New Moon occurred on the first day of the 7th month, and was considered to be the first day of the New Year, which was also as a Sabbath. However, it did not fall on the 7th day of the week. On this day, only work, which was associated with or is in connection to one’s trade was prohibited. All other work such as preparing food, gathering wood, kindling fire, etc. was allowed.

     The Feast of Tabernacles (booths), which lasted for 8 days, was to have the first and eighth day as a Sabbath unto the Lord. On these days, only work, which was associated with or in connection to one’s trade was prohibited. All other work such as preparing food, gathering wood, kindling fire, etc. was allowed. This feast celebrated the final harvest ingathering, and also signified the anniversary of the beginnings of the Jews wandering in the wilderness.

                                        

Does the word Sabbath always refer to a time period of one day?

8. The seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land:

Suggested Reading: Leviticus 25:1-22; Deuteronomy 31:9-13 

And the Lord spake unto Moses in mount Sinai, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the Lord. Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the Lord: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard. (Leviticus 25:1-4)

Then I will command my blessing upon you in the sixth year, and it shall bring forth fruit for three years. And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store. (Leviticus 25:21-22)

Some believe the land of Canaan was cultivated on a 7 year farming cycle known as the Shemittah cycle. As part of this cycle the land was to remain fallow, not to be cultivated, on the 7th year. God would provide in the 6th year enough produce to provide sustenance for years 6, 7, and 8. Sowing would reoccur in the 8th year for the harvesting in year 9. During the 7th year spontaneous produce would occur and could be consumed by anyone, especially the poor. This produce was also available for the animals to eat.

And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and unto all the elders of Israel. And Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release, in the feast of tabernacles, When all Israel is come to appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose, thou shalt read this law before all Israel in their hearing. (Deuteronomy 31:9-11)

At the end of every seven years thou shalt make a release. And this is the manner of the release: Every creditor that lendeth ought unto his neighbour shall release it; he shall not exact it of his neighbour, or of his brother; because it is called the Lord's release. And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee. (Deuteronomy 15:1-2, 12)

     During the 7th year there were also some interesting declarations which were to be implemented. In the beginning of this year, the book of Deuteronomy was to be read and explained to all of the people by the priests. This was also to be a time when all debts were cancelled and if any of the debtors were Jewish, they would also be freed from their servitude.

                          

What was the keeping of the Sabbath supposed to commemorate?

9. Hearken unto the statutes:

Suggested Reading: Deuteronomy 1:1-3; 4:1; 5:12-15 

Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers giveth you. (Deuteronomy 4:1)

Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine a*s, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. (Deuteronomy 5:12-15)

The children of Israel had been wandering in the wilderness for 39 years and 11 months. Very soon they will be crossing over the Jordan River in order to enter into the Promised Land, the land of Canaan, which God had promised them and their forefathers for an inheritance. Moses reminds the people to hearken unto the statutes and judgments by putting into practice what they convey. They were also to make sure to observe the 7th day Sabbath of the Lord on which day no work was to be done by anyone in someone’s family, which also included their animals and servants. And remember why you are to observe this day, because it was to commemorate Israel’s deliverance from Egypt by God while they were slaves.

                              

Were proselytes and eunichs allowed to keep the Sabbath?

10. The eunuchs and the sons of the stranger that keepeth the sabbath:

Suggested Reading: Deuteronomy 23:1-8     

Commentators say that these verses were written to the Jews, who were in exile in Babylon. Soon, they would be delivered from their captivity and be allowed to return to their homeland. There were two groups of people, who are mentioned in these verses, those being “the son of the stranger” (the foreigner who has become an Israelite) and the Israelite eunuchs (those who served at heathen courts or in the houses of foreign lords). Both groups of people were concerned that when they returned to their homeland, following their release from captivity, they would be deprived or excluded from the privileges of the Jews in regard to their spiritual welfare.

     At an earlier time, following the Jews escape from their captivity in Egypt to when they arrived at Mount Sinai, where the people were numbered (census), the proselytes and the eunuchs could not be numbered with them. They were therefore not allowed to observe the Sabbath and participate in burnt offerings and sacrifices.

     Were they allowed to observe the Sabbath?

Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people. (Deuteronomy 23:3-7) 

     When the time came for the Jews to return to their homeland from the Babylonian captivity, the proselytes and eunichs were allowed to participate in the religious privileges as long as they kept the Sabbath without polluting it.

      

Were there dire consequences, if the Jews chose to not keep the Sabbath?

11. Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day:

Suggested Reading: Jeremiah 17:19-27

The book of Jeremiah is a prophetic book directed to the Southern Kingdom of Judah extending over 40 years before its invasion by the Babylonians. The tense three sided contest for world dominion between Assyria, Egypt, and Babylon forms the background of Jeremiah’s prophetic career. The prophet delivered God’s message of judgment to Judah to abandon idolatry and apostasy in order to escape the consequence of the upcoming 70 year Babylonian captivity.

Thus said the Lord unto me; Go and stand in the gate of the children of the people, whereby the kings of Judah come in, and by the which they go out, and in all the gates of Jerusalem; And say unto them, Hear ye the word of the Lord, ye kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, that enter in by these gates: Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction” And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the Lord, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein; Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: and this city shall remain for ever. And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the Lord. But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

     The Jews neglect of observing of the 7th day Sabbath was the basis for their coming judgment at the hands of the Babylonians. Jeremiah was commissioned by God to stand in each of the gates of Jerusalem and proclaim His word to the kings and people. They were commanded to stop all work (manual labor) along with the buying and selling of produce on this day. If they obeyed, then God would see to it that there would always be Jewish kings ruling Jerusalem. Along with this, He would also bring about financial prosperity for the kingdom. Failure to obey would result in the city of Jerusalem being set on fire at the hands of the Babylonians.

     Well what do you think? Did you learn a lot more about the Sabbath? I know I did. Let’s summarize these scriptural sections and then try to come up with the perspectives about this topic from the dispensationalist and the non-dispensationalist. 

 

Summary

�-�The Lord instructed Moses to tell the people to gather a double amount of manna on the morning of the 6th day so that there would be enough left over to be eaten on the 7th day, which was to be called the holy Sabbath (a day of rest or cessation from work) unto the Lord. Exodus 16:1-36

�-�God conveyed instructions to Moses, who in turn conveyed them unto the people, both the things they should do and the things they should not do by means of the 10 commandments. One of these commandments stated that they were to observe the 7th day Sabbath. Six days they were to work and on the 7th day they were to cease from work. Exodus 19:9; 20:8-11

�-�The Sabbath was to be a sign or distinguishing mark of difference for the Jews indicating they were under a special covenant with God, who made their nation a theocracy. Observing the Sabbath indicated to the other nations that they were set apart (i.e., holy) to God. The children of Israel were to keep the Sabbath for a perpetual (commensurate with the duration of the Jewish economy) covenant. Exodus 31:13-17; Genesis 13:12-15; Exodus 3:8; Leviticus 26:14, 33, 43; 1 Chronicles 28:5-9

�-�The day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) did not occur on the 7th day of the week. However, it was considered as a Sabbath, and therefore all of the restrictions that applied to the regular weekly 7th day Sabbath were applied here as well. This was the only Sabbath on which the people not only rested from work, but during which time they also fasted. Leviticus 16:3-31

�-�The Sabbath was a day set aside for religious purposes along with a time for recalling one’s redemption from Egyptian bondage. It was not to be observed solely where the tabernacle was pitched or where a future temple was to be built, but in every town and village of Canaan. Leviticus 23:3

�-�There were a few feasts or festivals that Moses conveyed to the people of Israel such as: the Passover, the feast of the Unleavened Bread, the feast of weeks (Pentecost), the blowing of Trumpets, the day of Atonement, and the feast of Tabernacles (booths). These feasts were to be observed by the Jews, when they entered the Promise Land of Canaan. Some of them lasted for more than one day, and had one or more of their days observed as a Sabbath. Leviticus 23:4-39

�-�Some believe that the land of Canaan was to be cultivated on a 7 year farming cycle known as the Shemittah. During the 7th year of this cycle, the land was to remain fallow, not to be cultivated. As a result, spontaneous produce would grow and could be consumed by the people and animals. Not only was the book of Deuteronomy supposed to be read at the beginning of the 7th year, but this was to be the time when all debts were to be cancelled, and all Jewish slaves were to be freed. Leviticus 25:1-22; Deuteronomy 31:9-13

�-�No work was to be done by anyone on the Sabbath involving a families’ servants or animals. The Sabbath was to be observed in order to commemorate Israel’s deliverance from Egypt by God, whe they were slaves.Deuteronomy 1:1-3; 4:1; 5:12-15 

�-�Both “the son of the stranger” (the foreigner who has become an Israelite) and the Israelite eunuchs (those who served at heathen courts or in the houses of foreign lords) were allowed to participate in the religious observances of the Jews upon their return from captivity in Babylon as long as they observed the Sabbath without polluting it. Deuteronomy 23:1-8            

�-�Jeremiah was commissioned by God to stand in each of the gates of Jerusalem and proclaim His word to the kings and people of Judah, which stated that no work (manual labor) was permitted on the Sabbath, which included the buying and selling of produce. If the people obeyed these words, then God would see to it that there will always be a Jewish king ruling Jerusalem. Along with this, the kingdom would be blessed with financial prosperity. Failure, however, to observe the Sabbath would result in the destruction of the city of Jerusalem by the Babylonians. Jeremiah 17:19-27

     How will those who are in the leadership positions in the church you are attending use the information obtained in regard to the observance of the 7th day Sabbath? Will they support the observance of it or not? Their answer depends on whether they are dispensational or not. If they believe that any scripture can be used to support any biblical topic, then they are a non-dispensationalist and in all likelihood they will promote the idea that Christians should continue to observe this day. If they are a dispensationalist, the decision to observe or not observe this day will be based on the scriptures that were written for the dispensation during the age which Christians live in, which began on the day of Pentecost and will continue until the rapture of the church. To emphasis a little more of what I just said let’s take a look at how the dispensationalist and non-dispensationalist would comment on this topic based on the scripture sections that we just looked at.

     The dispensationalist would not use any of the ideas presented here as to whether a Christian is obligated to observe the 7th day Sabbath.

     Besides this they might also make some comments such as:

~The observing of the 7th day Sabbath in this dispensation, the Age of Israel, was instituted by God for the nation of Israel only.

~The observing of a weekly 7th day Sabbath by the Jews was first mentioned in relation to when God provided manna for them to eat while they were wandering in the wilderness under Moses leadership. When the children of Israel arrived on Mount Sinai Moses reiterated to them the necessity of observing this day of rest and the reasons as to why which were to: commemorate God's creation of the world in six days and His rest on the seventh day; commemorate their deliverance out of slavery, when they were in Egypt; signify that they were set apart as God’s people. And one more thing the keeping of the Sabbath was to be for a perpetual covenant, as a sign between them and God. Unfortunately, they didn’t keep it, and thus they broke the covenant.

     The non-dispensationalist would choose certain verses that would support the view that Christians are obligated to observe the 7th day Sabbath. They would point out that the observing of this day was forecast in the book of Genesis, when God rested on the 7th day from the 6 days of creation. Along with this they would state that the Jews were to observe the 7th day Sabbath not only during their wilderness wanderings, but also when they entered the land of Canaan. This observance was to be kept by them for a perpetual (eternal) covenant. Therefore, one could conclude that because of the importance of this observance it should also be kept by believers in the Church Age.

 

Weekly Messages: http://bit.ly/1N9SHdX           

Website: http://bit.ly/1RQnYJ8                             

Twitter: http://bit.ly/1mYHQ14                        

Facebook Author Page: http://on.fb.me/1Q0MJ3w                               

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1WbFXKJ                  

Facebook Fan Page:  http://bit.ly/2lhMh6h

 

 



© 2017 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on September 29, 2017
Last Updated on September 29, 2017


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo