PART 4 DRINKING ALCOHOL

PART 4 DRINKING ALCOHOL

A Chapter by rondo
"

Are the saints who are living in the Church Age, the age in which we now live, obligated to abstain from drinking alcohol?

"

CHAPTER 5

The Church Age

From the Day of Pentecost to the Rapture of the Church:

Jesus promised the disciples after he left this earth, that he would send to each of them the Holy Spirit, who is another member of the Trinity, to come and dwell within them. On the day of Pentecost, this promise was fulfilled. From this time on, the disciples’ (apostles) mission would be to proclaim the good news that Jesus Christ, the Messiah, who is God, came to earth to die on a cross as a substitute for mankind, thus paying the penalty demanded by another member of the trinity, God the Father, for all of the sins that were committed by the entire world, past, present, and future. This payment opened the door for sinful man to have an opportunity to enter into heaven immediately at physical death, provided they repented (acknowledgement of sin) to God the Father and professed belief in this Christ, as to who he is and what he has done, at some point in time during their years on earth (Acts 26:20).

For one last time remember:

non-dispensationalist will look at the instances, in which “Drinking Alcohol” was mentioned throughout the bible, and will choose those ideas that support the perpetuation of the practice of abstinence.

dispensationalist will look at the instances, in which “Drinking Alcohol” was mentioned, and will confine the conditions of this practice to the dispensation in which it occurred. If abstinence was suggested, then fine. If abstinence was not suggested, then fine.

The first section we will look at is taken from the book of Romans. In the church at Rome there were many Christians that were habitually committing overt sin. Two sins are mentioned that have to do with excessive drinking. One is called rioting (heavy drinking and sexual immorality) and the other is called drunkenness.

Did the apostle Paul suggest to these believers that the solution to addressing these sins was to abstain from drinking alcohol?

N.   Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting or drunkenness:

Suggested Reading: Romans 13:11-14 

11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Paul is addressing the Christians at Rome saying that it is now time for some of them to wake up from their lethargic, nonaggressive, lazy Christian life. For their future glorification, the transformation of their bodies at the Rapture into perfect bodies with the new nature14draws closer.  

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting or drunkenness, not in chambering or wantonness, not in strife and envying.

These believers needed to begin to choose to stop doing deeds that were done in darkness by dressing themselves in the weapons of light. Their life should exhibit a fitting manner of behavior, and not behavior that exhibits rioting (heavy drinking and sexual immorality); drunkenness; chambering (whoredoms and prostitution of any kind); wantonness (sodomitical practices - anal or oral copulation with members of the same sex15); strife (litigations); and envying (furious altercations).

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

The solution to not continuing to be engaged in these types of behaviors was to put on the Lord Jesus Christ. To put on the Lord Jesus Christ means to assume His interests. To assume His interests means to let His mind be in them. What is Christ’s mind?

Christ’s mind refers to the new thoughts that He has unveiled to us in some sections of the Gospels, the book of Acts, the Epistles, and the book of Revelation. This means to learn to think with divine viewpoint as it relates to who God has made us to be in every area of our life. Instead of thinking about how to gratify the desires of the flesh or trying as hard as we can to not commit these sinful actions, we are instructed to think with God’s word for every area of weakness. If we do this, then we will not be engaged in overt sinful actions that have their basis in the corrupt propensities of the depraved nature.

If a fellow believer has an issue with alcohol, then should we abstain so as not to tempt them?

O.   It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak:

Suggested Reading: Romans 14:1-21

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. (Romans 14:1-2)

The early churches were made up of Gentiles and Jews, many of whom (Jews) continued to obey the mandates of the Mosaic Law. Therefore, there were several issues that needed to be addressed. The first had to do with eating certain foods and consuming certain beverages. Some in the church (Gentiles) ate whatever they wanted to, while others (Jews) ate vegetables.   

Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. (Acts 15:19-20)

This came to a head when the Jews and Gentiles met on the first day of the week for: worship, the agape feast, and the breaking of bread (communion). An agape feast was an expression for the common meal of the church. Apparently, the Gentiles would bring meat and drink to this feast, which contained blood in them. Because many of the Jews still observed the dietary laws of the Mosaic Law they were repulsed by these offerings and refused to continue to attend. The resolution was for the Gentiles to not bring the meat of animals, which had been killed by means of strangulation, because some of the blood would still remain along with the prohibition of bringing wine that had blood mixed with it. Wine mixed with blood was often drunk during the sacrificial feasts of idolaters and when making covenants.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord;… (Romans 14:5-6)

Another issue which was needed to be addressed had to do with esteeming certain days of the year. Some (Jews) in the church considered certain days (e.g. 7th day Sabbath; feast days; etc.) to be more important than the other days of the year. The Gentiles, however, believed that each day was to be esteemed the same. The solution was that the Jews were allowed to observe any days they desired as long as they didn’t mandate the Gentiles do the same. The Jews were also made aware that these observances could not serve as the basis for anyone’s salvation or sanctification (spiritual growth).

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. (Romans 14:14-15)

There was one more issue which needed to be addressed which was having to do with the eating of meat that was offered in sacrifice to pagan idols. Apparently, some of the believers would attend pagan temples in order to partake of the free food that was made available from the animal sacrifices that were offered there. In some cases, the pagan priests would take some of the food (meat) and bring it to the public markets for anyone to buy.

When some of the believers, who had attended these pagan rituals in the past had decided to no longer attend because of their conversion to Christianity, saw some of their fellow believers going to the temple and partaking in these feasts, they considered what they were doing as wrong and began to judge them, thus committing sin. The solution to this situation was twofold. First the believers should no longer go to the pagan temples and partake of these sacrifices, because in doing so what they were actually participating in was the worship of pagan deities. Secondly, if they purchased meat in the market place or attended a feast outside of the pagan temple in which meat was offered, they should not ask any questions as to where the meat came from.

God gave the Mosaic Law to the Jews. Everything about it pointed to the coming Messiah. Food and drink became an issue, when the assembly came together for the agape feast. So, a compromise was reached. The Gentiles were told to bring food and drink that didn’t violate the dietary laws of the Jews. The Jews were clearly made aware that the observance of any aspect of the Mosaic Law did not provide for them or anyone else salvation or spiritual growth.

Do you believe that based on these recommendations a Christian should abstain from drinking alcohol if they are aware that a fellow believer has an issue with it?

Some Christians overindulged in drinking and eating, when the Lord’s supper was to be observed as part of the agape feast. Was a declaration made to abstain from drinking wine during this feast?                                                                                                         

P.   For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken:

Suggested Reading: 1 Corinthians 11:18-34                                                                                                                                                          

The Corinthians observed what was called the Agape or “Love Feasts”, which involved the meetings of church members, for a social meal on the first day of the week. Some commentators say that initially these feasts were held daily, and as time went on they were changed to once a week. These feasts were associated with plans of mutual relief or charity to the poor.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

Apparently, in this instance, the richer members of the church came and ate with their own crowd. Some of them were so hungry that they decided to eat and drink of what they brought for themselves instead of waiting for everyone to arrive. As a result, they wound up overeating and overdrinking, eventually becoming drunk. When the poor arrived, there was nothing left to eat or drink.

Following the agape meal was the institution of the Lord’s Supper, at which time bread and wine were partaken of. Instead of the poor looking upon the partaking of the elements from a spiritual perspective those who were hungry and thirsty looked upon it with physical motivation.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

33 Wherefore, my brethren when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. 

What was the solution to the problem? The solution to the problem was twofold.

First, if anyone was starving, they should eat and drink at home, and after they should bring some food and drink to the feast for the benefit of others. Secondly, they were to wait until all had arrived and received their food and drink before any consumption was to take place.

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. (1 Corinthians 11:26-28, 30)          

As far as the partaking of the Lord’s Supper in an inappropriate manner, this was a serious offense. Paul’s instruction was that before anyone partook of its elements they should examine their own motives or state of mind, otherwise, the result could be the receiving of discipline from the Lord, which could involve either the loss of physical strength due to disease or the possibility of physical death. For as often as they ate of the bread and drank of the wine, they evidenced a visible sermon that proclaimed "the message of the Cross", that is, the reality of the Lord's death, and also the certainty of His return (until He comes16).

Was there enacted a prohibition to not bring wine to the agape feast?

If a believer is addicted to alcohol, then what do the scriptures tell us as to what they should do?

Q.   And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit:

Ephesians 5:18

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit

There were some believers that were being continually controlled by the consumption of wine. The only way to address this behavior was for the believer to be continually controlled or filled with the Holy Spirit. What this doesn’t mean is our life should be controlled by allegiance to church activities. It means that it should be controlled by one of the members of the trinity, this being the Holy Spirit.

What does it mean to be filled with the Spirit? It means that the Holy Spirit fills the believer with himself. It means to be filled by one of the members of the trinity. It means when the Spirit fills or controls us we will experience his presence (power) and manifest His fruit (e.g. love, joy, peace, …). This fruit is a divine love, a divine peace, and a divine joy, etc. and not a human love, a human peace, or a human joy, etc.

There is only one way to break the bondage of addictions for those in the Christian assembly who are enslaved by them and that is to teach them how they can be filled with the Holy Spirit. Learning how to be filled with the Holy Spirit should be the goal of every believer and the focus of those in the church who have been given an office gift (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastor-teachers).

As far as the qualifications for someone to be a deacon, were they prohibited from drinking?

R.   Deacons are not given to much wine:

1 Timothy 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

The qualifications of a deacon (one who had charge of the temporal affairs of the church) were that they:

~ Be grave (one who inspires respect by his conduct and deportment17).

~ Not be double-tongued (saying one thing and meaning another.

~ Be honest and unhypocritical (saying one thing to one person and something entirely different to another18).

~ Not be given to much wine (indulges in the use of wine in small quantities19).

~ Not be greedy of filthy lucre (money should not be the price for doing wrong; money should not be sought on occasions where none is due; should make the acquisition of the glory of God his/her prime object, and not money).

What about the bishop or pastor, were they allowed to drink?

S.   Bishop…not given to wine:

Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

Paul is addressing Titus, who is abiding in Crete, to do that which he had appointed him, which was to ordain elders in every city. Some of the qualifications of an elder are that they:

~ Be blameless (conduct and actions should be seen as having no ground for accusation).

~ Not be self-willed (will take his people's suggestions and criticisms, and makes sure he does

   not always get his own way20).

~ Not be soon angry (one who is not inflamed on every opposition).

~ Not be given to wine (not be addicted to wine).

~ Not be a striker (not given to fighting).

~ Not be given to filthy lucre (not greedy of shameful gain; not making the gospel a means of gain). 

Let’s summarize about what we just learned about “Drinking Alcohol �" Are Christians Commanded to Abstain?”                                                                                              

Summary

�-�Put on the Lord Jesus Christ (the mind of Christ; divine viewpoint) and you will not be thinking about rioting (thoughts involving heavy drinking and sexual immorality) or drunkenness (setting the mind on drinking excessively). Romans 13:11-14 

�-�Three issues were dealt with here.

First: God gave the Mosaic Law to the Jews. Everything about it pointed to the coming Messiah.

Food and drink became an issue, when the assembly came together for the agape feast. So, a compromise was presented. The Gentiles were told to bring food and drink that didn’t violate the dietary laws of the Jews.

Second: The observance of certain days by the Jews was allowable. The Gentiles were under no obligation to attend to any of these observances.

Thirdly: Food was prohibited from being eaten in the place, the pagan temple, where it was offered in sacrifice to false gods. However, if anyone purchased food (meat) in the market places or if it was served somewhere outside of the pagan temple, then don’t ask any questions about it, just eat and enjoy. Romans 14:1-21

�-�If anyone was starving for food, they should eat at home before they attended the agape feast. When they arrived, they were to wait until everyone else had shown up and received their food and drink, before eating and drinking. 1 Corinthians 11:18-34   

�-�Addiction or any of the cravings of the flesh can be subdued by means of the filling of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 5:18

�-�The deacons (those who had charge of the temporal affairs of the church) were allowed to indulge in the use of wine in small quantities21.  1 Timothy 3:8

�-�The bishops (elders or pastors) are allowed to drink alcohol, albeit in moderation. Titus 1:7

We have reached the dispensation or age in which you and I currently live. What will be the conclusions by the dispensationalist and non-dispensationalist in regard to the question, “Should a Christian abstain from drinking alcohol?”.

If you are a dispensationalist, then you would use the ideas concerning “Drinking Alcohol” as mentioned above as the basis for supporting or not supporting this practice in the Church Age. The dispensationalistwould say that during this period of time the solution for dealing with drunkenness would be to put on the mind of Christ and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Romans 13:11-14; Ephesians 5:18 Furthermore, they would declare that wine was drank during the agape feast and was used as the choice of beverage for one of the elements of communion. While there might have been an occasion where overeating and overdrinking did occur, this was addressed by means of instruction and not with abstinence. 1 Corinthians 11:18-34 Finally, both deacons and pastors were allowed to indulge in the use of wine in small quantities221 Timothy 3:8; Titus 1:7 Therefore it is pretty obvious that Christians should not be mandated to abstain from drinking alcohol, but should be allowed to drink of it, albeit in moderation.

If you are a non-dispensationalist, then you would interpret the verses that were looked at in this dispensation based on those verses that were used from the Age of the Gentiles, the Age of the Jews, and the Age of the Hypostatic Union which supported abstinence. These verses that support abstinence will evidence ills of excessive alcohol consumption such as:

The alleged inappropriate sexual engagement between Noah and one of his sons. Genesis 9:20-27

The prohibition for Aaron and his sons to not enter the tabernacle inebriated, lest they die. Leviticus 10:1-10

Wine being a mocker. Proverbs 20:1

King David’s instruction to his son Solomon. Proverbs 23:19-33

Jesus drank grape juice, wine mixed with water. Luke 7:19-35

Jesus said that he would no longer eat of the Passover Lamb and drink of the fruit of the vine. Luke 22:14-23

Deacons and pastors should abstain, because of the potential for excessive use of alcohol to occur with all of its adverse effects both internally and externally. As such, the congregation should be told to abstain. 1 Timothy 3:8; Titus 1:7

So, there it is. I believe that this has been a pretty substantive study in response to the question, “Should a Christian abstain from drinking alcohol?”. Where does this leave you? What I mean is, now that you have been informed about this topic what should be your response concerning it? I will address this as I leave you with some final thoughts which follow.

Final Thoughts

There are many biblical topics like this that churches have entirely different opinions on. If you are attending an assembly and hear the pastor talking about a biblical topic and find out that the basis for their view is by taking a verse or verses from the Old Testament, then the pastor is a non-dispensationalist. This tells you that any verses that are looked at on any biblical topic which are taken from the book of Acts, the Epistles, the book of Revelation along with some scriptures from the Gospels will be interpreted according to the perspective which has been deduced from a verse or verses previously looked at from the Old Testament. Likewise, if when you hear the pastor teach on a topic, and the verses that are used to support the perspective are taken from some passages of the Gospels, the book of Acts, the Epistles, and the book of Revelation, then the pastor is a dispensationalist.

I hope that this study has enlightened you as to the “why” there might be different teachings on the same topic in different assemblies. What does this mean for you the reader?

First of all, my hope is that you have become more informed on this topic than you were before you read this book. Obviously if your view on this topic remains the same, then there is no concern. However, let’s say that before you read this book you were told to abstain from drinking alcohol by the teaching from those in leadership and now after reading this book you are convinced that a believer is allowed to drink alcohol, albeit in moderation.

You have a couple of choices. You can continue to abstain and not let your new view be known. I have on a number of occasions over the years tried to follow this avenue. However, when a discussion would come up on a topic upon which my view had changed I would express this and explain why I had done so. I am of the belief that it is better to be truthful, than deceitful. Your view will be found out at some point by someone in the assembly anyway. So, why not be proactive instead of worrying about the pastor finding out.

If you have a good rapport with one of the church leaders, I would go to them and discuss the matter. In my early years of ministry, I used to categorize doctrinal topics as major and minor. What I came to realize is that for many churches whatever their doctrinal platform is, is considered by them to be major. Any deviation from a particular belief system is seen as believing in false doctrine. There is very little allowance made by those in leadership concerning doctrinal deviation.

If it’s found out that a particular member has expressed a change of mind on a doctrinal view this could have serious consequences. If they are a pastor, they would probably be asked to reconsider their position or leave the church. If the church in question has only one pastor, but is a branch ministry of a world-wide ministry its probable that someone will be sent from headquarters to discuss this matter. If they are a church member, then likely the pastor might ask them to reconsider their position or leave. If they are allowed to stay without changing their position, chances are they will never be used in any leadership capacity. I would suggest that this is the way most churches would handle this.

Over the years, I have conducted many bible studies along with teaching on varied biblical topics at places where the assembly of believers would gather. If I taught on a biblical topic usually I would teach it from opposing views and allow the members to make up their own mind, unless the message was about a foundational doctrine. I have even allowed certain members to teach from the pulpit whose view on a biblical topic differed from mine. If some leaders heard what I just said they would probably cringe. Listen, I believe that if any believer loves the Lord they will not only learn and grow, but they will read Christian books or listen to teachings from leaders, who are not from the church they are attending. In some cases, their view on a biblical topic will change and in other cases it will not. Hopefully, those in leadership will not freak out when they find out that a member has a change of mind on a biblical topic, but you know what I have to say without hesitation, they will. I hope you have enjoyed this study as much as I have enjoyed preparing it. GOD BLESS!

Endnotes

         14Weust’s Word Studies from the Greek New Testament Pc Study Bible version 5, 2005, 05 Jan. 2014 ˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

         15Dictionary.com, 05 Jan. 2014 ˂http://dictionary.reference.com>.

         16Bible Knowledge Commentary/New Testament, 2000, 05 Jan. 2014˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

         17The Pulpit.

         18UBS New Testament Handbook Series Pc Study Bible version 5, 2005, 01 Feb. 2014 ˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

         19Barnes’ Notes.Pc Study Bible version 5, 2006, 08 Feb. 2014˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

        20The Bible Exposition.

         21Barnes.

         22Barnes.

Weekly Messages: http://bit.ly/1N9SHdX           

Website: http://bit.ly/1RQnYJ8                             

Twitter: http://bit.ly/1mYHQ14                                                             

Facebook Author Page: http://on.fb.me/1Q0MJ3w                              

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1WbFXKJ                 

Facebook Fan Page:  http://bit.ly/2lhMh6h

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2017 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on November 10, 2017
Last Updated on November 10, 2017


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo