PART 2 APOSTLES - ARE THEY STILL AMONG US?

PART 2 APOSTLES - ARE THEY STILL AMONG US?

A Chapter by rondo
"

What are the functions of the office gift of pastor teacher?

"

CHAPTER 3

The Functions of the Office Gift of Pastor-Teacher

By finding out what the functions are of a pastor-teacher we will be able to eventually contrast them with the functions of the other office gifts in order to try and deduce whether there is a reason to support the idea which is promoted by many churches today that there is no longer any need for the office gifts of apostle and prophet.

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

     By taking another look at Ephesians 4:11, we will notice these three words “pastors and teachers”. Some believe these two nouns refer to separate office gifts, one called pastor (poimenas in the Koine Greek) and the other called teacher (didaskalous). At first glance, it does appear that these are two different offices of leadership. However, according to what is called the Granville Sharp’s Rule of Koine Greek Exegesis, when two nouns are in the same case (accusative case �" the case of the direct object), connected by ‎kai (the Greek word for “and”), the first noun preceded by the article (some), the second noun without the article, then in this construction the second noun refers to the same thing to which the first noun does, and is a further description of it. With this in mind the idea being expressed here is that the words “pastor and teacher” refer to one office that being of pastor-teacher. One more word to note. I mentioned the word Exegesis. You should be aware of what this word means. This word refers to the scriptural interpretation of text based on an analysis of its grammatical features and historical background.

     In the early years of my walk with God, the offices of the church that I was involved in was limited to pastor-teacher or pastor and evangelist, that’s it. This church had a world-wide ministry with its headquarters comprised of a bible school, gymnasium, library, housing for students and faculty, a radio program, a softball field, etc. It was quite impressive. There were located throughout each state in the USA along with many foreign countries what I would call branch ministries. These would be comprised of one or more pastors with one of them being considered the head pastor along with in some cases deacons. One of the issues that was brought up in many circles was should each branch ministry church have only one pastor or a plurality of pastors? From my understanding the plurality of pastors would mean that there would not be one pastor who was solely in charge. From my recollection it was decided that each branch ministry should have one main pastor. If there were more than one pastor, then the others were to be in a subordinate role to the main pastor. There was another interesting dynamic to the leadership hierarchy in that there was one person, known as the President, who was considered as the overall leader of the ministry. It came to my attention that in the early years of the ministry this person was called an apostle. This designation apparently didn’t sit well with some and so eventually the description was changed to President. It seemed like every so often questions would come up in regard to a plurality of elders or to the office of apostle. I can honestly say that at that time I had no opinion concerning either leadership model. Hopefully, this study will help to bring about some clarification at least in regard to the office of apostle.

     What does the word “pastors” mean?

     The word pastors means shepherds.

So what are some of the functions of a pastor?

Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers:

Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. (Acts 13:1)

The disciples of Jesus were first called Christians at a place called Antioch. There is mention here of the names of those in the assembly of this church, some of whom were called prophets and others who were called teachers.

     The word “teachers” (didaskaloi) refer to believers, who with the special assistance of the Holy Spirit had the responsibility of introducing the Christian converts to the beliefs and duties of the Christian faith6This is the same word for “teachers” from Ephesians 4:11 except these nouns are in different cases. And by the way the word case is used to express relations between words (e.g. subject, direct object, indirect object, etc.). Therefore, this word would signify that these teachers were pastors.             

�-�The initial function of a pastor as disclosed here is that being of a believer who has been endowed with the gift of teaching so that the beliefs and duties of the Christian faith with assistance by the Spirit can be conveyed to the Christian converts.Acts 13:1

Who calls and qualifies a believer to be an overseer?

Over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers:   

Suggested Reading: Acts 20:3-21:4

17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.          

Paul has been living in Greece for three months and has decided to depart and head for Jerusalem carrying with him financial assistance for the poor saints who are residing there. While on his journey he has arrived at a place called Miletus. From this location he appeared to have sent a fellow believer with a message for the elders of the church at Ephesus requesting that they meet up with him. The word “elders” is from the Greek word presbuterous. This is believed to be a word taken from Judaism of which elders were considered to be the religious leaders of the Jewish religious community. Many believe this is a word which is synonymous with the office gift called pastors.

     After a few days the elders are able to meet up with him. Paul told them that when we he was with them at another time, he kept back nothing that would be profitable (of help), having taught them at times in public and at other times in private (house churches); giving warning to both the Jews and Gentiles that they should repent (a change of mind; turn from their sins) to God and believe in his Son, Jesus. 

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them (Acts 20:28-30)

     He further mentioned to them that since he will be arriving in Jerusalem soon, they will probably see him no more. Therefore, he instructs them to be on their guard (mindful) for themselves and for the flock (congregation) over which the Holy Spirit has called and qualified them as overseers (one who examines, looks after, or inspects another’s spiritual state; to feed, guide, and protect as shepherds, the sheep (believers), because there will arise grievous wolves that will come in from the outside (whose intent is to kill and destroy) along with those from their own selves, from within the assembly, who will speak doctrines that will tend to distract and divide, which will distort the truth, in order to cause disciples to follow after them and join their heresy.   

�-�Another function of a pastor is in view here. The pastor is a born again Christian being called and qualified by the Holy Spirit to be an overseer, who inspects not only his own spiritual state, but also the spiritual state of each member of the assembly. Furthermore, he should be a protector of the flock by being aware (observant) of anyone that might come in from the outside and try to indoctrinate the assembly with false teaching. And not only so, but the pastor should also be attentive (be on guard) in detecting anyone from within the church, who might be distorting the truth by speaking crooked, perverted, and distracting doctrines. Acts 20:3-21:4

     Could we also say that in some cases the pastor is probably more engaged in studying the scriptures exegetically than a prophet or evangelist?

     Can it also be assumed that the pastor is more closely engaged in being an inspector of the flock than a prophet or evangelist?

Another question for you to consider is, should a pastor preach the gospel?

How shall they hear without a preacher?

Romans 10:13-14

14c …how shall they hear without a preacher?

These verses state that in order for someone to be saved (redemption from sin and misery, and the enjoyment of peace and happiness), there must be someone who announces the gospel messageto them.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: (Acts 17:30)

     This person can be anyone. When the local assembly gathers together this proclamation usually is made by someone in leadership. The scriptures indicate that in the proclamation of the gospel message there is an awareness which is made to the hearer (unbeliever) for them to acknowledge themselves as being a sinner, who desires a change of nature. This is referred to as repenting (having a change of mind about one’s sins). This confession is usually done privately. In some instances the unbeliever could be asked to recite certain words privately in their mind such as: Lord, I know I am a sinner, who needs a savior. This confession could be more detailed in such a manner as:

I acknowledge that I have sinned overtly in some areas such as: slandering others; having sexual relations outside of marriage; being jealous; being covetous; having participated in alcohol or drug abuse; having sex with others of the same gender; committing adultery; taking money from others in a deceitful manner; having committed rape; having engaged in pedophilia; etc. I don’t want to continue in these mental, verbal, and overt sins. I need a new nature.

      After reading the second repentance confession some might argue that certain sins that were mentioned in this list are considered acceptable, because society has deemed them as such today. They would further state that what was considered sinful activity back when the New Testament of the bible was being written was determined by the societal norms at that time. Therefore, according to them, over time if societal views change in regards to certain sins or a certain sin, then this should be the deciding factor as to whether certain behaviors are condoned or not in the Christian church today.

     What do you think about these comments?

     Does the societal view of an action determine whether it is considered acceptable for the believer to engage in or does what God’s word declares about certain actions as being sinful determine whether the believer should engage in them or not?

14ab How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

     The second condition of salvation following repentance is to profess believe in Jesus Christ as to who He is and what he has accomplished. This indicates that salvation is not based on what an unbeliever does for God, but on believing.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

     This believing in Christ could be expressed by the words “calling upon the name of the Lord”. The words of this declaration can either be spoken silently in one’s mind or out loud like the words that follow.

I believe in you Jesus Christ as being one of the members of the trinity, who as God pre-existed time; came to the earth and took on the form of a man, being born of a virgin (no sin nature); lived a sinless life; listened to and obeyed the directives of his Father; went to the cross and paid for the penalty of and forgave the sins of the whole world; rose from the dead after 3 days, never to die again, walked the earth in his resurrection body for 40 days witnessing to over 500 people; and ascended into heaven to be seated at the right hand of God the Father. 

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own. (1 Corinthians 6:19)

     The result of this profession is that this person will receive another member of the trinity, known as the Holy Spirit, who will come into their physical body to indwell, thus imparting to them a new nature.

�-�This function of a pastor is one that is not just relegated to this office. The pastor as well as apostles, prophets, and evangelists have the function (responsibility) of preaching the gospel to unbelievers. Romans 10:13-14

     The next scripture section which we will look at mentions three of the four office gifts, those being apostles, prophets, and teachers. Besides this there is mention of the non-office gifts of the Spirit of which at least one (not always the same one) is given to each believer at salvation.

But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him:                                                                                    

Suggested Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:1-13:          

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; (1 Corinthians 12:4,8)

Paul is giving instructions concerning the non-office spiritual gifts. There are diversities (different distributions) of gifts by the Holy Spirit to different people.

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

     Scriptures indicate that each believer will receive at least one gift of the Holy Spirit, who distributes them to each person individually, male and female, as He wishes.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

     These gifts are given to be a profit (advantage) to the church.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?               

     However, not every believer will receive one of the office gifts of: apostle, prophet, evangelist, or pastor-teacher. The believer who is called to the office gift of “teachers” (pastors) will: emphasize accuracy of words and a love to study; delight in research to validate truth7; give instruction in the Christian faith of truths already revealed and written down.                                                                   

�-�Some additional functions of a pastor are that they will:emphasize accuracy of words and a love to study; delight in research to validate truth8; give instruction in the Christian faith of truths already revealed and written down. 1 Corinthians 12:1-13:1

Should a pastor always be respected and obeyed by the assembly?

To know them which labour among you:                                                                                                                                                                                         

Suggested Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13

12a And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you,…

Paul is instructing the believers at Thessalonica to know (respect and obey; not to be ignorant of their needs or to be indifferent to9) those, who are in the leadership positions of the church that labor (wearisome toil) among them, unless it is obvious that they are out of God’s will. These were believers who worked hard to provide pastoral care for the flock, probably in their spare time since in the early church local church leaders often carried full-time jobs outside the church10. Even though the word elders or pastors were not used in these verses, it is believed that this is the office being referred to here.        

12b …and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 

     These leaders are also stated as being over them (those who direct them), who bring admonishment [puts the people in mind of the truth; to warn them of danger; to exhort them to perform their duty; to admonish (advice; counsel) believers, who went astray]. They also are to be esteemed (honored) very highly for their works sake; so long as they give God the glory.

�-�This function of a pastor is quite diverse in that it involves admonishing the assembly. This could refer to exhorting the believers to: put the assembly in mind of the truth; to exhort them to exercise their gifts; to provide council for those who have gone astray. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13

Was Timothy a pastor?                    

Be thou an example of the believers:                            

Suggested Reading: 1 Timothy 4:12-13; 2 Timothy 1:6

Apparently there were issues going on in the church at Ephesus that involved teachings which were different from those taught by the apostles. Timothy was asked by Paul to go there and straighten things out. The word elder, pastor, or teacher was not used to describe the office that he held. However, because of the description of the Christ like example he was to exhibit along with what he was asked to give attention to while he was there, which was delineated to him by the apostle Paul in this letter, it appears to be that of which an elder, pastor, or teacher would exemplify. Many scholars believe that Timothy at this time in his life was very young, possibly in his mid-twenties.

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.                                                                                                                                                                                        

     Paul encouraged him to keep on becoming an example (model), which hopefully would be imitated or followed by the assembly in:

“word” (in regular conversation as well as in public speaking involving doctrine); “conversation” [his walk, behavior, or manner of life (actions), which were to be controlled by the word of God]; “charity”(the love which God is and which the Holy Spirit produces in the heart of the yielded saint11and is directed toward other people); “spirit” (inner enthusiasm and excitement); “faith” (maintaining unshakable confidence in God; improving whatever is delivered in trust12); “purity” (purity in motives as well as in acts; being free from immoral acts).

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

     Timothy was also commanded to give attention to: “reading” (the public reading of scripture); “exhortation” (to the explanation of the scripture passages that are read, making their meaning and relevance clear to the gathered congregation13); “doctrine” (the act of teaching a systematized body of teaching).

�-�A few more functions of a pastor are presented here. A pastor should give attention to: “reading” (the public reading of scripture); “exhortation” (to the explanation of the scripture passages that are read, making their meaning and relevance clear to the gathered congregation14); “doctrine” (the act of teaching a systematized body of teaching). 1 Timothy 4:12-13; 2 Timothy 1:6

     One of the thoughts that resonated with me as I read the instructions of Paul to Timothy was his instruction to him to keep on becoming an example to be imitated by the assembly in “purity” (purity in motives as well as in acts; being free from immoral acts).

In 1977 I remember attending a bible study in my home town. Having received the Holy Spirit into my life a short time earlier, I was looking for a church where God showed up or in another way of saying this was where His presence could be experienced in my life. When I walked into the facility where the bible study was being held I observed a young man sitting up front with his guitar in his lap.

He proceeded to sing songs the words of which penetrated my inner being. Following this he preached a message that was unlike any other I had ever heard. In connection with this God’s presence (his love, joy, and peace, etc.) were impacting me as it had done before when I first got saved.

     I stayed faithful to this bible study. Eventually two buildings were purchased that provided a permanent place for the gathering of the saints. The church grew from 30 to about 100 people. Over time this pastor asked me if I would consider coming on staff and taking on the position of being an outreach coordinator. This involved many things such as: visiting people who had attended the worship services; visiting people who were sick; conducting a bible study; setting up the chapel for worship; etc. When the time came for this to actually take place I quit my job, moved out from living with my parents, and went on this new journey. Along the way I met a beautiful woman to whom I got married. After about a year and a half I was asked by the pastor if I would consider going to bible school. I said that I would, and so off we went.

After a couple of years I received a two year certification in Christian Leadership. During this time of when I attended bible college I worked at many varied jobs (e.g. bought and sold gold and silver; was a maintenance man for a Ballet school; taught high school math in the Christian day school). After graduation I was asked by the same pastor who I worked for as an outreach coordinator to come and work in a Christian day school which was located at a different place where I had originally worked for him. Again I gladly accepted the offer. Off I went along with my wife and someone new, our first child, a baby boy.

     When we arrived at this new location we settled in and I began to learn about my responsibilities in the day school. One of the things that I noticed as the days went by was that the pastor was seldom around. Once in a while he would show up and teach, but in most cases someone else would teach. I didn’t know what to make of this. It simply could be much ado about nothing.

     On one particular day phone calls were made to different members of the assembly requesting that they gather together in the chapel. After everyone arrived the pastor informed us that he eventually would be leaving the ministry. He not only meant this church, but that he also would no longer serve as a pastor in any capacity. I was stunned. Here was someone who was an example for me of Christlikeness in my early walk with God. And now he was going on with his life with a total abandonment to the calling of God on his life. There was no explanation given other than he was going in the new direction of going back to school and becoming certified in computers. After he left one of the church members was ordained to be the head pastor. I saw this former pastor on a couple of occasions thereafter, but for the most part his whereabouts and goings on were unknown. As far as the admonition of being an example in “purity” (purity in motives as well as in acts; being free from immoral acts) I can’t say for sure whether anything was going on in his life in terms of being involved with immoral acts. However, he and his wife did separate and eventually get a divorce, the circumstances surrounding which were unclear.

     Another one of the things that Paul admonished Timothy about was that he would be an example in “conversation” [his walk, behavior, or manner of life (actions), which was to be controlled by the word of God]. I can only assume that somewhere along the line the word of God stopped controlling this pastor in his walk, behavior, or manner of life. At this time I was aware that there was some dissension by some pastors in regard to some of the doctrinal teachings which were espoused by the President of the bible college. One of these teachings advocated that the sin of a pastor was accountable only to God and God alone. This opened the door for those in leadership to enter into egregious behavior without a concern of being held accountable. I can’t speak in regards to being aware of some kind of incident that might have procured his falling out of favor with the ministry, but I do know that the Holy Spirit was present at times when he delivered a message. How anyone could just say, I’m done, especially someone who God used to preach the gospel and see many souls get saved and go on to become mature in Christ, I’ll never know.

     I’m sure that for many of us there have been times when we have considered saying I’m done. By being done I mean to no longer walk with God at all. I do understand that being on staff for a church is not easy. Doctrinal differences, power plays, financial disagreements can cause dissension. All I know is that without God’s word and power all we are left with is our self and our own strength. If we came to Christ because we no longer wanted to rely on our self why would we want to go back to that existence? I hope for his sake that he didn’t abandon his walk with God.

     My admonition to you is that if you have been a victim of undeserved suffering by someone, who is in a leadership of the church you are attending and you have tried to address the matter in a biblical way, but are now considered as being a troublemaker, then go somewhere else for your spiritual nourishment. There are plenty of Spirit-filled churches out there. If the situation was that you had committed an egregious sin and repented before those who were in charge of hearing such matters in the church and as a consequence of such they have imposed a censure on you meaning that you are not allowed to have fellowship with the assembly for a period of time, then in the meantime go and find books, audio tapes, etc. that will help you address this area of weakness so that when the time is up for you to return you have become an overcomer in this area of weakness. No matter what has happened to you or what you might have done if you adhere to the words spoken by King David to his son Solomon, then all things will work out together for your good.

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. (Proverbs 23:23)

     We have a few more scriptural sections to look at in regard to the functions of a pastor. After we have looked at them and determined what these functions are we will summarize what we have found. 

Let the elders that rule well:

1 Timothy 5:17

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who  labour in the word and doctrine.

In each house church, it appeared that there were many elders (pastors). However, it is probable that not everyone could devote themselves to the local assembly as some of the others, because of the obligations of work and family. For those pastors who were able to well manage the spiritual interests of the church, they should be counted worthy (deserving) of double honor (deserving of recognition), especially those who labored (with wearisome effort) in the word (preaching) and doctrine [categorical (topical) instruction and explanatory (verse by verse) teaching15].

     Some say that the words “double honour” refers to getting paid double the money. Why would a pastor get double of what was initially offered, because of exercising the office they have been called to in the proper manner?

     There is also some disagreement concerning what is called the different categories of elders. Another word some might say that one pastor is called to administration while another is called to teach. My response would be that every believer who is called to the office of pastor has the gift of teaching. As far as a pastor being called to administration, I would say this would be due more to availability and whether the pastor had received the spiritual gift of diligence/governments, which is a gift of the Spirit that bestows not only organizational ability, but also efficient ways of getting things done.

�-�Another function of a pastor is they should labor with wearisome effort whether in relation to: the preaching of the word; instructing by categories (topics); explanatory teaching (verse by verse). 1 Timothy 5:17

What should the teachings of the pastor not condone?

They shall heap to themselves teachers:                                        

Suggested Reading: 2 Timothy 4:3-4

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

The apostle Paul is telling Timothy that the time will come, when there will be some in the assembly who will not continue to accept as valid, true and incorruptible doctrine, which contributes to the health of the soul. Instead they will heap to themselves an indiscriminant multiplication of teachers whose preaching will agree with their carnal desires; concealing the gravity of their evil propensities, and dealing gently with their vices16 (immoral practices). Their attraction to these teachers is based on their desire to hear what tickles their ears. This image is derived from the desire which we have when there is an itching sensation, to have it rubbed or scratched17.Another word this is a desire for some in the assembly to hear what would satisfy their cravings for things that disagree with God's truths18

�-�This function of a pastor is in regard to the content of their messages. Their teachings in either relation to themselves or the assembly should not: agree with their carnal desires; conceal the gravity of their evil propensities; deal gently with their vices (immoral practices such as adultery; formication; incest; rape; homosexuality; lesbianism; pedophilia; etc.).  

2 Timothy 4:3-4

This will be the last function of a pastor that will look at.

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church:

Suggested Reading: James 5:14-20

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. (James 5:14-15)

If you are physically sick, you should send for the elders (pastors) of the church to come and pray (with hands extended over) for you, anointing (for the inward anointing of the soul with the Holy Ghost) with virgin oil on the forehead in the sign of the cross with the hope that you will be restored to bodily health and strength19. If the cause of the sickness was unconfessed sin, it could be inferred that one of the elders would ask this person before hands were laid on them if they were aware of any known sin in their life. If they were to say yes, then they would be asked to confess it to God the Father.

�-�This function involves the pastors of the church, who when contacted by someone in the assembly that is physically sick to go to where they are located and pray (with hands extended over) for them, anointing with virgin oil on the forehead in the sign of the cross so they could be restored physically and spiritually. It could be inferred that before hands are laid on this person they are asked if they were aware of any known sin in their life. If they were to say yes, they would be asked to confess it silently in their mind to God the Father. James 5:14-20

     So, there we have it. There are a lot more functions related to this office than to either of the other ones. Let’s summarize these functions before we continue on and take a look at the functions of an apostle.

     The functions of an elder, teacher, or pastor are that they will:

~ Utilize the gift of teaching with assistance by the Holy Spirit in conveying to the Christian converts the beliefs and duties of the faith. Acts 13:1

~ Inspect not only their own spiritual state, but also the spiritual state of each member of the assembly. Acts 20:3-21:4

~ Be  aware (observant) of anyone that might come in from the outside and try to indoctrinate the assembly with false teaching along with being attentive (be on guard) in detecting anyone from within the church, who might be distorting the truth by speaking crooked, perverted, and distracting doctrines. Acts 20:3-21:4

~ Preach the gospel to unbelievers. Romans 10:13-14

Love to study; thoroughly research a biblical topic; employ grammatical correctness when emphasizing a word. 1 Corinthians 12:1-13:1

Exhort the believers to exercise their gifts; provide council for those who have gone astray. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13

~ Give attention to: “reading” (the public reading of scripture); “exhortation” make the meaning and relevance of the scriptures clear to the assembly; “doctrine” (the act of teaching a systematized body of teaching). 1 Timothy 4:12-13; 2 Timothy 1:6

~ Labor with wearisome effort whether in relation to: the preaching of the word; instructing by categories (topics); explanatory teaching (verse by verse). 1 Timothy 5:17

~ Present teachings which should not: agree with their carnal desires; conceal the gravity of their evil propensities; deal gently with their vices (immoral practices such as adultery; formication; incest; rape; homosexuality; lesbianism; pedophilia; etc.). 2 Timothy 4:3-4

~ Pray with hands extended over a believer, who is sick, anointing them with virgin oil on their forehead in the sign of the cross that they would be restored physically and spiritually. It could be inferred that before hands are laid on this person they should be asked if they were aware of any known sin in their life. If they were to say yes, they would be asked to confess it silently in their mind to God the Father. James 5:14-20

Endnotes

 6UBS.

7What are Spiritual Motivational Gifts?.04 Dec. 2014 ˂http://christianity.about.com/od/holyspirittopicalstudy/a/spiritualgifts_2.htm>

8What are Spiritual Motivational Gifts?

9Barnes’ Notes.Pc Study Bible version 5, 2006, 05 Dec. 2014

10Bible Knowledge.

11Weust’s Word Studies from the Greek New Testament Pc Study Bible version 5, 2005, 06 Dec. 2014  ˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

12Adam Clarke.

13UBS.

14UBS.

15The Pulpit Commentary Pc Study Bible version 5, 2006, 07 Dec. 2014 ˂http://www.biblesoft.com>.

16Barnes.

17Barnes.

18The Bible Exposition Commentary.

19The Pulpit.

Weekly Messages: http://bit.ly/1N9SHdX            

Website: http://www.makingtheonerightchoice.com/                                  

Twitter: https://twitter.com/jamesrondinone/media                                 

Facebook Author Page: http://on.fb.me/1Q0MJ3w                                

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.rondinone

 



© 2017 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on November 24, 2017
Last Updated on November 24, 2017


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo