A single sentence essay

A single sentence essay

A Chapter by Ru Banerjee
"

Glad to let you know this one is being published by 'Ampersand Review' this fall!

"

Every night, you come back to my arms in a sweet surrender; together we weep crystal tears buried in shadows deep as you take me back to the sweaty jostle of clumsy streets wrapped around you, the crescent moon that stands up on your sky bleeding not the red of blood; but the lonely hues of gray that travel the world of the living, the emaciated, neglected brooks and streams that still flow on your way, burying our unspoken words in their darkest waters, the haunting lullabies of my childhood slumber that wander endlessly in the faraway winds, the mistake and redemption of my yesteryears lying in their graves along with the greatest ashes of our shared wounds, the smothering morning mist and the secret moonlight that used to gush through your darkened rooms at the edge of my sleep, the crimson lights that used to flash your lanes and that soon used to grow�"brutal, and blinding, the raindrops that used to pelt on your window panes, the storms that raged within your secret, unknown, unnoticed nooks and corners; and today, traveling through the mists of time, as I remind myself of your darkened rooms, as I try to search for long-lost words and stolen memories buried in your walls which visit my lonely mind, as I hear the echo of the sighing music of your rooms, your staircases, your walls, which seem like whispers uttered in naked air, stirring the darkness with wispy winds as I walk through your doors; I walk right in, through the blinding haze of day and night, a traveler of time seeking a pound of solace in the taste of your world beyond a dream; heaving with a heart that harbors dark alleys of a life walled by silent tears, waiting for you, my long-forgotten home, in the eager darkness of return.

 



© 2010 Ru Banerjee


Author's Note

Ru Banerjee
An attempt of experimenting with the essay form, this little piece of work is kind of an extension of my poem "Sweet Surrender: an elegy of bruised love". Readers who have already read this poem of mine, I hope, will be able to understand the connection between the two. However, this essay is somehow more abstract than the poem in terms of the theme. Hope you will enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

In coherence this stream gathers memorable images, their conjunctions cleverly crafted. Beautiful.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nice sentence lol :) I enjoyed this

Posted 13 Years Ago


Such strength and great story in your words. I like the set-up when you can add more and allow the reader to see your vision. The story was very good. A excellent chapter. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


i did enjoy, sadness and bittersweet joy...all wrapped up into one sentence...nice job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderfully written! Expressive imagery with each word.
I did enjoy this very much..outstanding...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have read your writing "Sweet Surrender: an elegy of bruised love" and I can really relate this chapter to it very well!
Yes, you are right...this essay is very different from the previous one as it was more precise and exact but this one is very abstract and random. As a reader , we all could get different meanings out of it!

The one thing which stands out for me about this essay is about its flow and the entire way with which it flowed as a single sentence, as it is not at all a easy job to come up with a writing like this...

Great work, as always :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Remarkable work, flowing smoothly like a river through both dark places and sunlit bends... so well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

625 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2009
Last Updated on August 12, 2010


Author

Ru Banerjee
Ru Banerjee

Omaha, NE



About
Not a phenomenal woman, rather an ordinary one...in love with the mountains, the azure skies, sandy beaches with gushing waves, with the cup of my morning coffee, and with my husband! Not in that orde.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin