Tuem-Pernem the place where I was born

Tuem-Pernem the place where I was born

A Story by poetry-kiddo alienbaba
"

The play of my birth

"




(a loose leaf flown from the pages of my autobiography...(
October 6 1975 ....7 pm
Tuem-Pernem....the very name of that magical place churns up emotions beyond my control...
`Rosa`...a village- belle gives birth to a chubby-baby...all of 3 kg and
a smile to die for...exactly when the Chapel Bell tolls for the Angelus...a mile away.....3 firecrackers rip the night to Herald the birth of
a little Libran. Granpa, way back in the city dreams of his pa yellin
at him...`I`ve sent him...ive sent you the one`....
granpa ...high up on the coconut tree....plucking coconuts...drinking toddy....
saying good morning to God...at 7 in the evening....still some sunlight..
Bananas and jaggery-coated sweetmart to the neigbours....sweeten their tongues.....says granny....`this young `uns` chatter will be sweeter...
Pernem.....high in the hills of Goa...where crickets never cease their
fiddling....cockerels never stop yoodeling.....couples never stop cuddling...
Pernem....how I used to love to sit high up on the branches of the red cashew tree...and watch quitely with facination as the Peacock
decended on the shed-roof.....
or shudder to think of that story Rosa told me when as a child
roaming that hill, she was chased up that very same tree by a
wild-boar...how she sat huddled up there praying for divine intervention...parched throat....trembling hands.....praying lips....
mother waited there for over 3 hours.....and the wild-boar waited too...finally it started to ram the tree......mother nearly fell down...
the timely boom of grand-uncles...shot-gun....nailed the beast to the ground...
mother feasted that night on the crumby flesh of her antagonist...
a strange smile played on her lips.while the red embers of the hearth
warmed the cold room...
mother doesnt eat beef....but she goes crazy over wild-boar....
She thinks i`m crazy to stay green....but she can speak her mind....
I dont mind....
and then I used to draw water from the square-little well....its musty taste still in my mouth....
how I wailed when 2 leeches stuck to my leg in the muddy pond...
granpa poured salt on them....only then they detatched and died a slow death....how i pitied them then....
and hide-n-seek on the attic....raw mangoes stoned from high.....till
one stone bounced back from a branch and hit above my eye...
bloody face....brother and i race...shoutin out to mamapai...
Rosa cried bitter tears..thinkin i would die....last thing i remember...
ice-cubes scarlet red.....and i`m sleeping on a hospital bed....
Rosa nearly became mad....her first born....in blood and dust clad...
i still bear the mark of the naughty stone on my left-eyebrow...its here to stay..it`ll nver go..
will i ever forget the scissor i threw at lil sisters leg after readin TARzaN KING OF THE APES?
or the zingy taste of the kokum juice squashed out from fresh fruit?
or the Sunday that i crossed the shallow creek to reach the chapel on yonder hill , unmindful of my new shoes....
or the day i played matador on PACKLO...our black-buffalos back...hanging on to his horns for dear life...and yet again the next day standin on the furrow of the plough as Packlo along with TICKLO{Tthe on ewith the dimple)...ploughed our ancestral fields...
Daddy had guts to cross the river, ferrying his big scooter in that narrow canoe....though now he has shown me the door....and i knew just where to go....he had said , you`ll grow..and grow i did and how!....I`ve gone the other way dad...you know...
and what about that teenage crush....the shepards daughter..?
she must be married now...girls marry young there...and have lottsa kids...8 is too lil`.
and the guest from bombay who set fire to the wood-pile in the backyard...after auntycurtly refused his indecent proposal....23 gallons of water to douse that inferno...but not enoughto douse the rascals passion....till granpa thought him a lesson....
and lil JUJU...kid brother...always made you cry , did`nt I?...didnt even say goodbye...must`ve cursed me so i die....
or the bicycle ride down in the Baga-valley....swooping down like the gliding vultures overhead.....preying on dead cattle thrown behind the cemetary.....human cousins ...thrown by the dozen....just outside
the peaceful sanctaury ...or should i say mortuary?
this is my story....
now i live in the city...and all that is history....though
I still love to go there...when my mind starts to worry!

© 2011 poetry-kiddo alienbaba


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

poetry-kiddo alienbaba
This is the first in the series of 4 stories ....hope you like this and follow the rest too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

good story

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such beautiful imagery you have woven. I can almost feel I am there!

Posted 12 Years Ago


So few can claim to be born in magical places such as this.
Your story has left me with a smile.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

Yes i breathed magic ether:) thx DD we r missing your presence
Desert Dreamer

10 Years Ago

And I miss your stories and songs. :)
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

Why did you leave WC?
Did i say something inappropriate?
getting to know you so well through your writes

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is extraordinary. The rich colors and brilliant poem are lovely to gaze upon.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The pictures are great but not as beautiful and colorful as the story. It is always a pleasure to learn of others lives as passed down from their memories.
Enjoyed the trip down memory lane with you. It was a pleasure...

Posted 12 Years Ago


A wonderful read and thank you for sharing..xxx

Posted 12 Years Ago


very, very nice....interesting read :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


An auspicious start...

Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The pictures are so beautiful. You weaved your story well of your place you were born. Very interesting to read. Anxious to read the rest. Your imagery is outstanding.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

872 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2011
Last Updated on August 1, 2011
Tags: tuem pernem rockstarmono

Author

poetry-kiddo alienbaba
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

Shambala, North



About
whatsapp +91-9970061060 a faster way to reachout... This one is Alienbaba Rockstarmono Poetry-kiddo This one belongs to you and you are free to belong to anyone you please. This one resides in the.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..