Two Years Ago Today

Two Years Ago Today

A Poem by Rosie Brooklin
"

This was written two years after a friend of mine was lost to suicide.

"
Two years ago today, the hallways were full of students mourning the loss of a friend.
Through the resounding sobs of hundreds, the unsettling silence besieged my head.
Those who knew him and those who did not
They were all focused on one single thought:
"Why?"
Why would a smart, quiet boy with so much potential
Result to this violent end, leaving only a shell.
Two years ago today, after the announcement was made,
There were counselors brought in to help deal with the pain.
Because when he left, his pain didn't end
It was given to us, for us to mend
Now all I wonder is where are they now? 
There are no counselors, no mourners. The tears have dried out.
Two years ago today was when he disappeared
But today is still unbearable, though no one remembers him here.
I hear laughter in these hallways, there's no pain or loss.
Except for those who remember, and detest those who forgot

© 2017 Rosie Brooklin


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so well written yet so somber, and I can really relate to the message. I think this speaks a lot about bereavement and time, and also about mental illness and how it can unexpectedly affect any person. The last line really shows how you seemed to have struggled with the loss, and it shows a window into your soul's sensitivity. I like this poem a lot.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosie Brooklin

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much.



Reviews

Real and very understood. In getting past the moments most delete the pains...and forget the reasons.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is so well written yet so somber, and I can really relate to the message. I think this speaks a lot about bereavement and time, and also about mental illness and how it can unexpectedly affect any person. The last line really shows how you seemed to have struggled with the loss, and it shows a window into your soul's sensitivity. I like this poem a lot.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosie Brooklin

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much.
Not usually a reviewer of poems - i do them on occasion.

I find it hard to review and give words for pieces like these.
So, with the utmost respect - this was a very well written and heartfelt piece.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosie Brooklin

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Welcome, sorry to hear about the tragic loss.

Mark.
I've known friends who've committed suicide. It made no sense to me why they took their lives. But that's because I wasn't in their heads. I didn't see the tunnel vision they did.

The feelings it takes to commit such an act doesn't happen overnight. It takes a long time to develop.

The fact that no one seems to remember means one thing, you've got to move on, and moving on doesn't mean forgetting, it means you've got to live your life.

It hurts to lose a friend, but if you keep them in your heart that's a good thing.

You wrote this very well.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosie Brooklin

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2017
Last Updated on March 30, 2017
Tags: Suicide, death, pain, anger, hate

Author

Rosie Brooklin
Rosie Brooklin

TN



About
I am an aspiring writer with a passion for many different forms of art. These include literature, poetry, drawing, and music. I'm always willing to critique and looking for critiques, so feel free to .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..