Correspondence for Comfort

Correspondence for Comfort

A Story by Rosie Brooklin
"

Here, we see an e-mail that is sent before Elenor becomes who she is... for context, read Twenty Years in a Sane Asylum

"
New Message
Subject: Daily Report

He hurt her again. I can't bear to watch the love of my life brutalizing our only child, but what am I supposed to do? If I intervene, I'll become a casualty. Instead, I do what I can to mend Ellen after the fact. Today, I told her of my own experience with my father, and how I would escape reality by pretending to be elsewhere. My imagination always transported me to the 19th century, where beauty abounded. Women wore crinolines and men exhibited courtesy and respect towards the ladies, keeping a safe distance for their comfort. Placing myself in the Victorian era seemed to help me remove myself from the ugliness of the present, and I hope that it will do the same for Ellen. In only a few months, she will be starting Kindergarten, and I will once again become the target of abuse. My only solace is that he won't be able to harm her, since she won't be home until 4:00, nearly an hour after he leaves for the hospital. I don't understand why he does these violent acts. He says that she is insane and he just wants a normal child, but my darling Ellen is perfectly intact! All children have imaginary friends, especially those who are lonely. I just wish he would listen to me. I hear Ellen talking and drawing on the walls. I'm going to go quiet her down before my husband hears; I don't want him to get upset again. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued...

© 2017 Rosie Brooklin


Author's Note

Rosie Brooklin
Read Twenty Years in a Sane Asylum before reviewing this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on October 16, 2017
Last Updated on October 16, 2017

Author

Rosie Brooklin
Rosie Brooklin

TN



About
I am an aspiring writer with a passion for many different forms of art. These include literature, poetry, drawing, and music. I'm always willing to critique and looking for critiques, so feel free to .. more..

Writing