They died with a smile

They died with a smile

A Story by rougey
"

A story based on a random thought I had once

"

Professor James Mortimer had tried to warn everyone what would happen if they continued with the fool hardy plan that senator Roger Periwigs had proposed to the newly formed world council, but no one listened.
 War had been temporarily eliminated with the formation of the world council and humanity was determined to keep it that way. The council adopted Senator Periwigs plan by passing a few new laws: all things competitive were banned, nationalism was to be crushed, everyone must be fed, and any corporation that tried to cut corners to increase profits would become managed by the world council without preamble. The people of the world embraced these new laws with a fanatical fervor, ever since the end of world war three humanity had grown sick of war and with the formation of the council they had a way to make sure humanity never again fought with its self.
 Crime had vanished as a direct result of the third world war, this was caused mostly by the fact that nobody had anything left worth stealing and not a single strand of any of the illegal drug plants had survived the biological weapons attack launched by the coalition of radical extremists, with the polices complete attention on murders few tried.
With everyone getting behind these changes, things that should have been encouraged were discarded or banned by the hysteria of peace, such as space exploration was abandoned permanently because of the competitive nature that was associated with it because of the previously used term “the space race”. the silver screen cut several dozen genres from its repertoire and removed all existing versions from the stores, such as: action, adventure, drama, horror, thrillers, and any types of movies that portrayed people verses people. Video games were destroyed completely.
 Without conflict humanity turned to focus on furthering the arts, as long as they were non-confrontational, children grew up without dreams of becoming super heroes or great athletes. Without the great war machines as motivation technological advancement slowed to a snails pace and then eventual came to a stand still, “everyone was happy with their environment why should then make it better?” became the common consensus and the advancement of science died, no one except Professor Mortimer even noticed.
 The professor tried to speak out, he tried to explain to the people of earth that they had become stagnate and lethargic, their “peace” was killing the spirit of humanity. In response to the professors out spoken views he was fired charged with being a war monger and his anti-peace protest would not go unnoticed, by the end of the first year of “peace” Professor Mortimer was forced into exile from all of mankind forever. From this exile the professor watched as the birth rates slowly dropped until they soon vanished completely, unnoticed by the “happy” population. The professor knew that by the time humanity figured out its error it would be to late, humans would vanish from the universe, not with a “roar”, not even with an “oops”, but with out a sound.
 We did not destroy ourselves with war but by trying to go against our very natures, trying to stop conflict by simply stopping our advancement through time. Professor Mortimer died 70 years before humanity figured it out, but humanity had been neglecting science, why did they need it they had thought with contempt, and now when they needed it, because there was no one left young enough to repopulate, they found that science had abandoned its neglectful masters through their own failure to pass the knowledge to the now old youngsters.
Dogs mourned our race’s demise as did the cats, but they would never admit to this fact.

 

 

Now was the age of the dolphin…

© 2008 rougey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Adela Muresan -Sex is competitive. Great story, but it needs some editing. The grammar and sentence structure is a little hard to understand, and the story repeats itself a few times. The flow is off. But still, great story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I great theory, dough it's a bit to hard to believe that the birth-rates dropped, because the population was ,,happy,,� Come on, they had no sex ?!?

A.M.


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2008

Author

rougey
rougey

alamosa, CO



About
nothing interesting to report about myself more..

Writing
Bubbles Bubbles

A Poem by rougey


Maelstrom Maelstrom

A Poem by rougey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..