Eris

Eris

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

...Goddess of strife and largest known trans-Neptunian planet...

"













 











Image of Eris and her moon, Dysnomia, taken with the Hubble Space Telescope--see the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_(dwarf_planet).  This image is from NASA and is in the public domain.


Eris

 

Oh, Eris, lonely, frozen stone

Where do we stand in thy affection?

You are so distant--

And show your distance in thy darkness

 

So cold--your manner is of ice!

And oh, strident daughter of Nyx

Your eccentricity and lawless children

Belie the love that all are owed

 

Oh you, who unsettled the Greeks

Oh you, who caused the Trojan war

Will you not come to peace with us

Will you not wipe away thy discordance?

 

Daughter of the son of Cronos and the Night

Mother of many plagues upon the Earth

Peace to thee, and rest softly in thy Mother’s arms

For the Night enfolds thee ever in Her love

 

But you have brought so many tears to Man

Perhaps better ‘ you keep thy distance!

Orbit far from us, sun and light

Disappear, then, Lady into the Night

 

 

©2015 Richard Puetter

All Rights Reserved

 

 

 

Notes:

 

Eris, the most massive, known minor planet in the solar system, is thought to be about 30% more massive than Pluto, and three times more distant, and in a highly eccentric orbit (ε=0.44, orbital period ~560 years).   There are two distinct goddesses called Eris distinguished by Hesiod.  Both are goddesses of Strife, but one being more severe than the other.  The more sinister is the daughter of Zeus and Hera, and a sister to Ares.  The less severe Eris is the daughter of The Night (Nyx) and a son of Cronos.  Eris is at the root of many of Man’s troubles.  She caused the Trojan War, and is mother to many other minor gods, all of which are associated with one hardship or another.

© 2019 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Rick,

Your plea to Eris to keep her distance from mankind as she has been the mother of great hardship and strife is one of wisdom as we are keenly aware of the power she holds over us! As the lesser goddess of strife, she being still a formidable foe must be to us as frozen in stone! Your analogy of this distant planet that is so massive, in its highly eccentric orbit to one of the daughters of Nxy, the goddess of the night is reason for us to bid her stay away! You ask her where we stand in her affection, though by her history, we know she looks not on much with favor. Your question is part of your fervent plea.

I find the study of mythology to be fascinating so this especially appeals to me. Your vast knowledge of Astronomy you share with us, as well as lessons of the evils of the night, and their blight on mankind.

Your plea is written with great passion and conviction! May this sinister deity heed it. May Eris continue to spin so far, far, far away from us!!

Best Regards,
Sheila

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

hard to believe that such a planet could effect us but we are made of such stuff as are dreams and we will always look to the heavens for meaning

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I did not know this about the planet or the goddess. A sister to Arse, she must indeed be dangerous. But it's too easy to blame the world's problems on something outside it. Man's problems come from man.

I'll admit, of course, that the Trjan war was an exception, but still a lot of blame lies with Paris and Helen...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Without meaning to be facetious, i think Eris compares with Eve's attack on that apple!

As ever your writing both teaches the reader and impresses with its phrasing. Your life.work influences so much of your writing, and, you have the ability to combine the two with so much flair and skill.

Love this, Rick, 'Will you not come to peace with us - Will you not wipe away thy discordance?' Tis somehow a cry to and in the night...'

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh this is just plain beautiful, I really love this
I just love reading poems about astronomy
And yours is one of the best one I have seen, Beautiful writing Rick.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, Eris, lonely, frozen stone
wonderful expression and good to learn about this dwarf planet. Very well penned sir! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1499 Views
15 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 3, 2015
Last Updated on February 2, 2019
Tags: Astronomy, moons, greek gods, planets, goddess, solar system, night, Nyx

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing