Odysseus

Odysseus

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

the consequence of pride

"

Greek ruins on the island of Aegina

 

 

 

Voice of Queen Arete1:
 
Oh, sing of king Odysseus,
thought cunning and most wise,
but through his prideful failings
his wisdom was belied!
 
In Ithaca he had a wife,
a son and a bright throne.
His duty drove him off to war2,
but pride kept him from home.
 
     Chorus:
 
     Oh, prideful Odysseus,
     why goad Poseidon’s son? 3
     Back to Telemachus4
     the better course to run!
 
               * * *
 
Voice of the sailor Elepnor5:
 
The war in Troy was nearly won,
brave Hector6 now was dead.
The war had waged on ten long years―
when thought comes to your head.
 
A clever ploy could win the day,
An off'ring made of wood.
Your gift was taken through the gates
and in brave Troy now stood.
 
     Chorus:
 
     Oh, cunning Odysseus,
     why make the Trojan horse?
     End all the battles―
     Now homeward set thy course!
 
Now toss your ships on the high seas,
Poseidon’s rage your shame7.
Raise prayer to god Athene;
may her graces ease your pain!8
 
To magic isle you sail your ship.
Your men are turned to swine9.
With Hermes’ drug10 the spell is stayed,
and you o’erstay your time.
 
     Chorus:
 
     Oh, lustful Odysseus,
     why lie in Circe’s bed? 11
     Back to Penelope12
     for she’s the love you wed!
 
Returning now to Ithaca,
a beggar you appear,
but faithful dog cannot be fooled,
so, too, the old housekeeper13.
 
And now most hateful Antinous14
your mind you set to kill.
Telemachus and Eumaeus15,
will complement your skill.
 
     Chorus:
 
     Oh, vengeful Odysseus,
     why string you now your bow? 16
     Kill all the suitors―
     lest they reap what you did sow! 17
 
And so, most sad Odysseus,
you lost near half your life.
Consulting with Tiresias18
did not foresee this strife!
 
Your wisdom and your cunning,
your prowess and your skill,
and bounteous aid from the gods
could not trump prideful will.
 
     Chorus:
 
     Oh, willful Odysseus,
     could you not learn from this?
     Waste all your youth―
     your loved ones barred from bliss!
 
               * * *
 
Voice of King Alcinous19:
 
And thus, in seeking answers,
what can we take away?
We see that pride
that goes untamed
puts life in disarray.
 
And even with great knowing,
with wisdom and great skill,
the best laid plots
will turn to naught―
pride always portents ill.
 
 
©2008 Richard Puetter
All rights reserved
 
 
Notes
 
[1]The Odyssey begins with Odysseus relating his story up to the point at which he arrives in Phaeacia to the Phaeacian king and queen, Alcinous and Arete. He had just spent seven years with Calypso, before leaving her island and coming to Phaeacia. So it is quite natural that Alcinous and Arete would deliver the moral lesson to Odysseus’ tale, having heard most of the details of his journey.
 
[2]Odysseus followed king Agamemnon, the leader of the Greek armies, to the war against Troy.
 
[3]Odysseus blinded the cyclops Polyphemus, the son of Poseidon. As Odysseus and his men left the island of the Cyclops, Odysseus called back telling him boastfully of his true name. Polyphemus then told his father that it was Odysseus that blinded him, and this is the root of Odysseus’ torturous ten year journey back to Ithaca.
 
[4]Telemachus is Odysseus’ son and was an infant at the time Odysseus left for the war against Troy.
 
[5]Elepnor is a young seaman in Odysseus’ crew who dies on Circe’s island and whose spirit reproaches Odysseus in Hades when Odysseus goes there to get advice from Tiresias"see note [18]. As part of Odysseus’ crew, he has first-hand knowledge of many of the details of the Odyssey.
 
[6]Hector was the oldest son of Priam, the king of Troy, and is arguably the best warrior overall in the Trojan wars. With the aid of the gods, he was killed by Achilles and his body dragged around the city of Troy.
 
[7]All of Odysseus’ men die because of the blinding and prideful goading of Polyphemus.
 
[8]The goddess Athene was Odysseus’ benefactor and constantly interceded on his behalf with the gods.
 
[9]After leaving the land of the cannibals, Odysseus and his one remaining ship reach the isle of Aeaea, where Circe, the enchantress, lives. Through the feeding of magical cheese and wine, Circe turns half of Odysseus’ men into pigs.
 
[10]Hermes gave Odysseus an herb called moly (now thought by some to be the herb “snowdrop”) to escape Circe’s magic.
 
[11]Once Circe discovers she cannot defeat Odysseus, she falls in love with him, taking him as a lover for a period of one year, at which time Odysseus’ men finally convince him to begin again on his journey back to Ithaca.
 
[12]Penelope is Odysseus’ wife who waited faithfully twenty years for his return from the Trojan wars. Since Odysseus did not return quickly after the wars, many presumed him dead, and so a large group of suitors for Penelope’s hand gathered at the house of Odysseus, squandering his goods. The evil suitors even plotted against Telemachus’ life as he was seen as an obstacle to obtaining Odysseus’ kingdom.
 
[13]On Odysseus’ final return to Ithaca, he disguises himself as a beggar, but this disguise cannot hide his true identity from his faithful dog, Argus, and the old housekeeper and Odysseus’ nurse, Eurycleia, who recognizes the boar-hunting scar on Odysseus’ leg when she washes his feet.
 
[14]Antinous is the leader of the suitors and is the first one slain by Odysseus. He is a cruel, greedy, and hypocritical villain that justifies his evil by distorting the motives and acts of others.
 
[15]Eumaeus is the faithful, chief swineherd of Odysseus who helps him on his return. He, Telemachus, and Athene help Odysseus kill all of the suitors.
 
[16]Prompted by Odysseus’ suggestion, Penelope finally proposes a final archery contest to the suitors where the winner will have her hand in marriage. The contest is to be performed with Odysseus’ bow, and only Odysseus is strong enough to string the bow. After stringing the bow and winning the contest, Odysseus kills all of the suitors.
 
[17]While the suitors are clearly evil, Odysseus must take some responsibility for their actions, because his long absence, which ultimately can be traced to his pride, resulted in the situation in the first place.
 
[18]Before leaving the island of Circe, she tells Odysseus that he must travel to Hades to consult Tiresias for instructions on how to return to Ithaca. Tiresias is the most famous of Grecian seers. While Tiresias is blind, in compensation for this blindness the gods granted him unparalleled visionary powers.
 
[19]Alcinous, king of the Phaeacians--see note [1].

© 2012 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed reading your notes, so much to know and learn..
As for the poem, such an epic I like the telling of Odysseus 'adventures'..
Seems he was a ladies man .. Penelope an angel waiting for him..
This is so interesting .. like a song you have a chorus echoing the wrongs of
Odysseus ..which were many- wonderful to look upon and read,, thank you!


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

you really know your stuff. this was a great poem, the flow was perfect and it told the story well. i like that you have notes too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed reading your notes, so much to know and learn..
As for the poem, such an epic I like the telling of Odysseus 'adventures'..
Seems he was a ladies man .. Penelope an angel waiting for him..
This is so interesting .. like a song you have a chorus echoing the wrongs of
Odysseus ..which were many- wonderful to look upon and read,, thank you!


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow! I love Greek mythology and found this very entertaining.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congrats on you great winning poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congratulations for winning the shadows contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Max
These are the stanza's i found a bit awkward:

"A clever ploy could win the day,
An offering made of wood.
Your gift was taken through the gates
and in brave Troy now stood."

"Now toss your ships on the high seas,
Poseidon's rage your shame.
Raise prayer to god Athene;
may her graces ease your pain!"

I had to stop and reread them because you have to read a line or two differently than you would regularly, and that makes it a little bit awkward, particularly the 2nd and last line of the first of the stanzas.

but it's good overall, and if you read it with a certain inflection, or just in regular iambic meter, it makes more sense.

Maybe i'd change "offering" to "off'ring", leving out a sylable. it sounds better.




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Max
wow. You are offiicially my favorite internet poet XD.

but seriously. Very unique, and, despite the few awkward phrases i stumbled upon (which saddens me a bit, yourself being a master of meter), it is absolutely great!

You need to publish your poetry in a book, then send me a signed copy XD.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Once again you leave you awestruck with your work. You bring the reader into your world. When I read you, it is as if you have lived a thousand years, and more.
"And even with great knowing,with wisdom and great skill,the best laid plotswill turn to naught―pride always portents ill." Bloody brilliant!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick, a superlative re-telling. I enjoyed the piece completely, but most appreciated were the insertions of character traits in the first line of each of the chorus rounds. I like how you have built a case for the closing thoughts and underlying theme. You build your statements and support each one with excellent clarity and descriptive thought. I have nothing to say from a usage or grammatical point of view. However, I re-read several times and noted a few instances where you meter deviated. While in the purest form of quatrain poetry, the issue with meter would not be worth noting, however; in trying to create something of profound lyrical quality, I think (as a personal opinion) that you probably want to be dead on with the iambic meter. Here are some places I noted with suggestions for the same:

1) The war in Troy was nearly won,
brave Hector now was dead.
The war had waged ten long years― (removed "on")
when thought comes to your head.

2) A clever ploy could win the day,
An offering made of wood.
Your gift was taken through the gates
and in brave Troy now it stood. (added "it)

3) Oh, cunning Odysseus,
why make the Trojan horse?
Take your leave from the battles― (added "take your leave") The meter in this chorus was off the most
Now homeward set thy course!

4) Toss your ships upon the seas, (Added "upon" and cut "Now" & "seas" {I dont like to use now})
Poseidon's rage your shame.
Raise prayer to god Athene;
may her graces ease your pain!

5) Oh, willful Odysseus,
could you not learn from this? (added "could")
Wasting all of your youth― (Changed to "wasting")
your loved ones barred from bliss!

This is a great piece. I have come to expect this caliper of writing from you. A master of astoral physics indeed, but a master craftsman and wordsmith of verse...Rick...here lies your peace and introspect. Thank you for your patience in waiting for my review sir.
your friend,
Todd



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1980 Views
13 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 20, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2012

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing