What creatures dream?

What creatures dream?

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

...Breathe in the possibilities...

"



Close-up of M17 by the Hubble Space Telescope

 



What creatures dream?

 

     "...Breathe in the possibilities..."

 

What creatures dream on other worlds?
On planets born where matter swirls
With multi-moons and triple suns
With days like months and seasons none
 
What poetry and science there?
On lands most hot, where winds are rare
In frigid seas of nitrogen
When stars exhaust their hydrogen
 
And what, then, their philosophy?
With water a great rarity
When lava flows in fire falls
When life but lives in cavern halls
 
And what of worlds beyond our ken?
Existence with dimension ten
When time’s dimensions number two
Fate both before and after you
 
What poetry might be, my friend
On the sad worlds where time does end
With space dimensions less than three
Where physics can’t support a tree
 
Can you imagine such a world?
That chance into existence hurled
And though these worlds beyond me be
I prize their possibility
 
Do creatures dream on other worlds?
I think it so, when thoughts unfurl
And gazing up into the sky
It's awe of life that draws my sigh
 
 
 
©2008, Richard Puetter
All rights reserved


Featured in the online magazine "People Are Amazing", May 27, 2015--see http://people-are-amazing.com/what-creatures-dream/.

© 2015 Rick Puetter


Author's Note

Rick Puetter
Dear Readers,

This poem, "What creatures dream", and me, the author, were featured on the on-line magazine "People Are Amazing" in June of 2015. Below is the article that appeared with the poem.

My best regards,

Rick

----- Magazine Article -----

This week I’ve been lucky enough to spend time with author and professional astronomer Richard Puetter. Richard, who was introduced to poetry at a young age by his father, admits that as he grew up, the fascinations with science and mathematics outstripped his ambitions as a writer, but in later years, as he sought to publish chapters of a fantasy novel he was working on, the lure of poetry was once again reinvigorated.

To me, Richard is a fascinating writer. He sees beyond a work’s potential to move people, and understands it’s potential to communicate. “While most poets would quickly agree that emotion is the fundamental part of writing poetry (and this is probably the motivation behind poetic writing), poetry itself speaks to the mind. It is language. If done properly it is the highest form of communication. But it is different than music or painting, for example. Those arts talk more directly to the pure emotional part of us. But poetry hits us without the need for sound and without visual input. It speaks to our minds, and the intellect then fires up the emotional being inside of us.”

Richard goes on to explain, “That is why unlike lots of other poets, I like to write pieces that are chock-full of facts, and in many of my pieces you’ll find pages of footnotes. I think this can fire up the mind all on its own, and then the poetic work can be seen on a broader canvas, which increases the emotional potential."

I like to think of Richard as a purist, a perfectionist, someone that’s always tinkering, perfecting, adapting. His writing is alive and evolving continuously as he grows, learns, reconsiders. Indeed he would tell you himself, “I think a poem is living art. It only is finished, at least for me, when the poet dies.” While I was talking with him, he pointed me to a quote attributed to noble laureate physicist Feyman.

“I have a friend who’s an artist, and has sometimes taken a view which I don’t agree with very well. He’ll hold up a flower and say “look how beautiful it is,” and I’ll agree. Then he says “I as an artist can see how beautiful this is, but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing,” and I think that he’s kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people, and to me too, I believe. Although I may not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is … I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time, I see much more about the flower than he sees. I could imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside, which also have a beauty. I mean it’s not just beauty at this dimension, at one centimetre; there’s also beauty at smaller dimensions, the inner structure, also the processes. The fact that the colours in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it, is interesting; it means that insects can see the colour. It adds a question: does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which the science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds. I don’t understand how it subtracts.”

This is the wonderful ability that Richard possess. He can see beyond the words of his poetry and communicate through his writing effectively and efficiently. He is able to write with inspiration in his words, inspiration that might awaken the hungry mind of a young reader to question the universe in which he or she lives. It is the ability to prompt the reader to ponder the presented facts, to mull over the concepts and ideas that lie within the writing. Richard’s ability to channel his own curiosity and share it with his readers is masterful and refreshing. It is the prime reason that I find myself fascinated and enchanted by his work, and am so excited to share it with our readers.

Richard Puetter is a prolific writer, not only of poetry, but of a whole array of stories, novels and books that will enthral and enchant you. If you’d like to know any more about Richard Puetter or follow him online, please use the links provided below.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I exist! And I really like this - it's great to ponder the existence of other worlds and other creatures on those worlds, especially for one so informed about science as yourself. Your knowledge really carries into your poetry!

I have some little things, of course. In your second stanza, "What poetry and science there" makes sense, but it's still a little unclear. Why not "is poetry and science there?" It would add a verb to the line, plus it makes it sound a bit more inquisitive. I would recommend a similar fix in the first line of the third stanza - "what, then, their philosophy" sounds a little more archaic than I think the tone really supports, so I would recommend "And what is their philosophy?" or "Do they know philosophy?" or something equally as inquisitive. Starting off with verbs, even if they aren't particularly strong verbs, is a great way to bring more clarity and focus to a line. I find the fifth stanza a little confusing as well; I think it's the question mark the throws me off, since it implies that I new idea is being started in the next line, when it's much more clear to read the lines together: "What poetry might be, my friend, in the sad worlds where time does end, with space demensions less than three, where physics cannot hold a tree?" (I must say, too, that the "physics cannot hold a tree" line strikes me as slightly out of place and more there for the sake of the rhyme scheme than anything else. I can see what you're doing with it; a tree couldn't very well exist in a two-demensional world, but even so, it seems a little random after you're talking about such a heavy subject as the destruction of time.)

The last stanza is wonderful, by the way, although (and I'm sure you knew I'd say this) I think adding more punctuation to the poem in general would make it much clearer. It's your choice, though. Well done as usual, Rick!

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh, Rick, each stanza is just stunning! Words coming from you increase my love of words a thousand-fold.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am so glad to see your work showcased in this way, and what an excellent choice.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi, Rick, this is beautifully written. The imagery goes from crystal clear to abstract, challenging the imagination.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an enthralling poem....
Unveiling mysteries of the unknown... ....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brilliant! Your words weave a most fantastic picture of the many realms that may or may not exist out there in space. There are so many scientific ideas being conveyed here, like the direction of time, Tattooine-like planets, and space with less than three dimensions. Scientific ideas conveyed in the purest form of language.. what more could one want? I love this one, Rick!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Outstanding, both in content and a large amount of writing skill. Wherever there may life and dreaming, I hope they're wiser than us humans.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoy your work. This is a great read. Takes me back to all the great sci-fi books that I love.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is gorgeous :) It's going to be running through my head for a while now. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is magnificently done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7410 Views
79 Reviews
Shelved in 14 Libraries
Added on September 8, 2008
Last Updated on July 17, 2015
Tags: universe, life, other dimensions, existence, meaning, diversity, purpose, awe, wonder

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing