Europa

Europa

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Oh cold moon, do you hold the flicker of life beneath your cold ice?

"

 

 
A photograph of the moon Europa
 
Dear reader--see notes below for additional information. Best regards -- Rick
 
   Europa
       
 
Frigid orb, share now thy secrets.
What do you shroud from eye of Man?
What cuddle you, if aught, enfolded ‘neath thy icy cloak?
Do you hide great secret with thy distance?
 
Oh fair, Phoenician goddess,
Princess of Tyre and beloved of Zeus,
Chase you silent, cold moon, ‘bout your circuit,
Entranced still by thy Lord’s mighty pull?
 
Issue of Io, Hera’s priestess,
She, too, abducted by lustful Jupiter,
Share you thy Lord’s attendance with matriarch of your line,
Innermost in your Master’s circle?
 
But that grande dame, barren is she now,
And of hot temper,
Churned by the intemperate whims of her Lord.
She is spent and will no children bear.
 
Sad Europa, scored is your face.
Cold orb, sad is your heart.
Yet do gentle children laugh in thee?
What tender treasures may yet spring from thee?
 
Mournful Lady, eyes are upon you.
You have ensnared heart with hope.
We watch thee with anticipation of Life's fire.
May your legacy bring miracle and wonderment to all.
 
 
 
 
 
©2009 Richard Puetter
All rights reserved
 
 
 

Notes

      Compared to other moons found in the solar system, Europa’s surface is smooth and young. This has led to the speculation that beneath its surface may be a water ocean that could harbor life. Because of this possibility, NASA is planning to launch a mission to Europa in 2020, the Europa, Jupiter System Mission.
 
      Io and Europa are moons of Jupiter. In mythology, Io was the priestess of Hera, Zeus’ wife.  It is further thought that Europa's lineage descended from Io. Both Io and Europa were raped by Zeus, giving them "goddess" status although they were of mortal birth.  Io is also the innermost Galilean moon of Jupiter. So she is “Innermost in your Master’s circle”. However, being so close in to Jupiter, Io’s interior is churned by orbital stress, which heats the moon’s interior, causing extensive volcanism, and so the moon is so hot that life almost certainly cannot exist there, i.e., “She is spent and will no children bear”. But Europa is much cooler and probably has brine oceans below the ice layers which may harbor life. Let’s hope that future space probes will recognize and discover this life.

© 2009 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think NASA is moving forward with a Europa probe in the near future, which of course will be the not-so-near future by the time it arrives, but still... a timely piece. Great word choice, great rhythm, great research and great juxtaposition of the classical and scientific. As usual, just pretty great all around.

Posted 14 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You did a knock out job on this one! Excellent! This poem offers much more than meets the mere eye as with Europa it has an air of mystery.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick Puetter

10 Years Ago

BTW, Brianna, the first announcements have just come out (in the last few days) for instrument propo.. read more
i didnt need to read the notes, i already knew
great write, splendid how you blended myth and fact so seemlessly, it must have been a tiring exercise
it will certainly be added to favorites

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

A great piece full of interesting allusions. We have found life in the most unlikely places, i.e. in superheated poisoness water of undersea volcanoes. Who would think life could be sustained in 500 f degree water mixed with sulfuric acid? But it's there. I, for one, would love to see science discover other life elsewhere in our own solar system.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovely and seductive, this piece drew me in almost immediately and proceeded to suck the very essence of imagination from my marrow. I enjoyed the way you mixed mythology with your descriptive turn of phrase. It is both erotic and hypnotic. I found myself expecting, at any moment, to be carried off by Zeus. Nicely done!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congrats a second time on your great winning poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I find it so amazing how you seamlessly entwine the wonders of the universe with Greek mythology. I love reading your work because I know I will learn something new. This write is amazing even though it doesn't have the rhyme and meter you seem to love. But it is still so outstanding.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congrats on you great winning poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Congratulations for winning the shadows contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem made me think of the Greek Gods. It has a exciting
feel to it, at least I thought so! Great writing, wonderful poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1012 Views
23 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 13, 2009
Last Updated on July 20, 2009

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing