Hurricane Irma Demolishes Cuba is Now Aiming Its Arrow at Florida

Hurricane Irma Demolishes Cuba is Now Aiming Its Arrow at Florida

A Story by Sachi Ruaya
"

Category five hurricane, Irma, stomped through the Caribbean killing at least 26 people, is classified as “one of the most powerful Atlantic storms in a century”. The hurricane is...

"

8:08AM, Sunday  September 10

Hurricane Irma Demolishes Cuba is Now Aiming Its Arrow at Florida

Updated: 12:53 September 11

Florida evacuates millions as governor warns residents to; “Leave now

Category five hurricane, Irma, stomped through the Caribbean killing at least 26 people, is classified as “one of the most powerful Atlantic storms in a century”. The hurricane is currently shifting away from Cuba and heading its way towards the third most populated state in the US, Florida.  Irma’s eye is expected to reach mainland Florida tomorrow Monday morning (11th September) 2am as Governor Rick Scott states that, “If you are planning to leave [evacuate] and do not leave tonight, you will have to ride out this extremely dangerous storm

Hurricane Irma has left most its victims’ Islands uninhabitable, and is expected to do so for weeks and months. It is also expected to take years to return Puerto Rico to the way it used to be and it is estimated around 95 percent of the structures in Barbuda Island has been completely destroyed. As this raging beast tramples to the west, it strikes Cuba with unimaginable force via winds reaching 260 kph, and of that, being a wake-up call for surrounding areas.

Red Cross estimated at least 1.2 million people were affected by Hurricane Irma and the numbers are expected to rise to around 25 million since �"according to the latest US census- Florida’s population is around 21 million. And the Hurricane is expected to reach from coast to coast, affecting surrounding regions such as Georgia and South Carolina.

- 1 compilation of photos

5:05 pm, September 9th, Irma’s eye beings to shift away from Cuba, targeting Florida’s Gulf Coast.

Residents of Florida begin to evacuate for fear of the upcoming catastrophe. More than 3 million people have now lost power. Police have knocked from door to door urging the residents to evacuate. 6.5 million people across Florida have been evacuated and some, seeking shelters in public areas such as community centres, churches and schools. Although, despite the efforts, some ignored the evacuation warning. “This is a storm that will kill you if you don’t get out of the way” National Hurricane Centre meteorologist, David Feltgen affirms.

If you have been ordered to evacuate, you need to leave now,” Mr Scott stated in the 6 pm news conference, “This is your last chance to make a good decision.” And later revealed there are 385 shelters all across Florida and 239 assisted-living centres 29 hospitals and 56 other healthcare facilities in the state were evacuated as of Saturday.

The Hurricane is expected to move across the west coast of Florida ending up in Georgia on a Monday afternoon. Despite the hurricane, fortunately, downgrading to a Category 3 Hurricane, Irma has gained more strength as it starts to reach the Florida Keys, upgrading to a Category 4 Hurricane. The hurricane is now threatening Florida with 25 inches of rain, 130mph winds and a 15ft storm.

The flee from Irma has resulted in being one of the country’s largest evacuations. Over        540 000 people were ordered to leave Georgia Coast. North Carolina, South Carolina and Alabama have declared to be in states of emergency.

 

However, Irma isn’t the only beast whipping the surface of the earth. Hurricane Jose, which seems to be trailing behind Irma is currently whip-lashing the eastern side of the Caribbean, has already pounded Puerto Rico and the Leeward Islands. It is described as, “Almost Category five” by the US National Hurricane Centre. Jose is already threatening further damage to Irma-wrecked Islands and giving potential damage to surrounding areas.  Irma’s victims are fleeing �"mostly by boats- their Islands to avoid Jose! But it is predicted by forecasters that Jose will only ‘briefly brush’ Florida as it moves further up North.

Another Hurricane, Katia, has made landfall on Mexico’s, now is downgraded to a tropical depression since winds are only reaching to a maximum of 35mph. Two people have died due to a mudslide.

UPDATE: Hurricane Irma is now a Category 2 hurricane reaching to winds approximately 105mph. Forecasters warns residents to prepare for flash flooding as the storm has already turned streets to rivers and flipped trees to their roots! Highways heading north has been jammed due to mass evacuations.

It is also expected that the hurricane will affect surrounding states such as Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina.

 “It is like an apocalyptic doomsday scene here,” she said. “No trees, leaves or greenery.”

As the author, I recommend contacting CNN; “Are you affected by Irma? Text, iMessage or WhatsApp your videos, photos and stories to CNN (but only if it's safe to do so): +1 347-322-0415.”-CNN

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Sachi Ruaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on October 30, 2017
Last Updated on October 30, 2017
Tags: Hurricane, Irma, Cuba, Florida, Evacuate

Author

Sachi Ruaya
Sachi Ruaya

Victoria, Australia



About
Sachi is an observant art lover who takes pride in her strong verbal and written communication skills as she regards her love for learning. She highly values collaboration and efforts to create innova.. more..

Writing