Future Instrument

Future Instrument

A Story by Sachi Ruaya
"

Ok...now I'm seriously bored

"

(original was written last year)



Abstract: this description describes an imaginary instrument that I made up from the depths of my boredom...



“Futuristic” Instrument


SachikoMochiko


Description


 The Alpa-guwante (Filipino Tagalog language; apla is harp, and guwante is glove) is part of the string instrumental family and is played by plucking or strumming the strings with the fingernails to create a clearer sound. The alpa-guwantist grow their fingernails on the opposite hand, usually around 3mm to 5mm. Players also use nail strengthening or nail hardener to avoid chipping nails. The alpa-guwante only plays two octaves. The pitch ranges from C4 to C6, each string is a semitone itself. The genre that this instrument is popular for is blues and Filipino tribal and traditional music.


The Harmonic Curve of the harp area that the strings are attached to-seen connecting each of the head of the fingers, also called the ‘Bridge Support’-are made of mahogany wood; [also known as Lauan, the Philippine Mahogany is considered the very best in Asia. - The types growing in LUZON are generally harder and darker, while MINDANAO origin is a lighter and milder type.]


Located on the back of the palm, the sound box (made to amplify the soft, mellow sound the alpa-guwante makes) is made out of acacia mangium;[ the sapwood of mangium is narrow and pale yellow to light brown, while the heartwood is olive brown to grey brown, with darker streaks. It is hard, with a medium texture, strong and durable (not in contact with the ground)]. Or Phili; [Fruit tree with a nut fruit, also sometimes called ‘olive’. Found mainly in the Philippines. Sometimes, it can be made of Maple Wood or Cherry Wood depending on where it is manufactured/made]


On the head of each finger is the Harmonic Curve support. It can be made out of plastic or yakal wood; [Yakal is a hard and golden Mahogany type which is used for frequently used products and surfaces.] The Bridge/Harmonic Curve Support Holder is also made of yakal.


The Control Strings is used to send the strings vibrations to the sound box and to tune. It is made of a thick wire.


The glove itself that holds the ‘whole-package’ is made out of two fabrics. The outside is made of banaca; [made of abaca that belongs to the banana family called Musaceae.] And the inside is made out of a softer fabric called ifugao tapis.

 

The strings that are the source of the sound are made out of nylon strings that are much thinner than the ones you see on a classical guitar. The types of nylon strings are clear nylon (balance of warmth, brightness, and projection with an ultra-smooth surface preferred by many professionals for its comfortable nail contact.) and black nylon strings (a warmer, mellower tone than clear nylon and a popular choice for folk and some classical guitars.) Sometimes, though rarely, can be made out of titanium; (a contemporary treble material with attractive purple hue, smooth feel and a brighter tone than traditional nylon. A popular choice for darker sounding instruments.)


The alpa-guwante was originally decorated with colourful traditional patterns (the rich colour comes from vegetable dyes and the natural pigments from tree barks) and used in cultural parades around the Philippines. But in modern days they are decorated with prints of game or TV show characters such as Hello Kitty and Mario. If formally playing, the apla-guwante is shown at its bare colours.

© 2017 Sachi Ruaya


Author's Note

Sachi Ruaya
If you see me in 20 years, I'll probably have this invented by then...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Please note, I am not fluent in tagalog...I think google helped me there hehe

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Added on November 22, 2017
Last Updated on November 22, 2017

Author

Sachi Ruaya
Sachi Ruaya

Victoria, Australia



About
Sachi is an observant art lover who takes pride in her strong verbal and written communication skills as she regards her love for learning. She highly values collaboration and efforts to create innova.. more..

Writing