Shooting Blanks

Shooting Blanks

A Poem by rubie

you’ve gone AWOL

recalcitrant soldier

leaving me at the mercy of enemy lines

that threaten to ambush me

and make me their POW

I’d much rather be writing the battle plan myself

so that you could instead have your

purple heart

and your honorary discharge

© 2013 rubie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ouch! Sure looks like you smote someone. Twenty years as a sailor may be sullying my interpretation of this, so if I've got it all wrong, I apologize.

Posted 9 Years Ago


rubie

9 Years Ago

On the contrary. I think those years of experience have enabled you to nail it perfectly!
Tha.. read more
Another great use of metaphor.. Rose

Posted 10 Years Ago


rubie

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review and kind words.
All I can say is that you deserve a reward of sorts ( compliment ) for this write...Thank you for sharing...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


rubie

10 Years Ago

Wow....

What a wonderful compliment, Sami!

Thank you so much! :)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:)
There's plenty of walking wounded that never recover; both in war and love. But I've heard it said that all things are fair in either. And it does no good to argue with philosophy no matter what statistics one has at hand. (smile) I enjoyed the read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


rubie

10 Years Ago

I've heard the same, Fabian. And it's more true than not, I think. Thanks for the kind words. Gla.. read more
I'm a sucker for anything military, so this really resonated with me ;-) And then, of course, re-reading it, I dove a little deeper and found a lot of meaning in those depths. The narrator's "soldier" having little regard for authority says so much, and yet the confession that follows, that the writer is not in charge, makes me wonder who, in fact, has gone AWOL...I'm left wondering this further as I'm led to believe had the writer been in charge the soldier would have found himself kicked to the proverbial curb, thus granting him the purple heart and the honorary discharge.

I really like this piece.

As a nitpicky aside (there's always one *laugh* we've only just become acquainted, thanks to your friend, and mine, jacob...you'll get used to me, I promise) ;-) I couldn't help notice you're a retired English teacher. As such, and please forgive me if I'm wrong, don't you think the line "I’d much rather be writing the battle plan myself" might sound stronger as "I'd much rather write the battle plan myself"...eliminating "be" and the passive "ing"? Meh, just a thought ;-) It doesn't take much away from the write, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I look forward to reading much more of your work in future!

-kimmer

Posted 10 Years Ago


rubie

10 Years Ago

Sounds good to me.....

I've always maintained that there's a novel inside me somewhere... read more
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

Ha! Thanks ;-) I'd be honored...you, on the other hand, would be thoroughly annoyed xD
rubie

10 Years Ago

Not so sure about that....lol
Life is so much a battle at times, and we rely on our fellow soldiers, often only to be abandoned. "I’d much rather be writing the battle plan myself..." If only we could... Great write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


i get two separate yet strangely similar trains of thought from this write. sure , it can easily be about abandonment and betrayal...that follows... and i also (having had the operation) read something else into this....shooting blanks....infertile. even worse, impotency. either way you slice it.. or choose to adopt both lines of reasoning to keep it interesting, this is a provocative and resonant piece of prose.

Posted 11 Years Ago


rubie

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such insightful comments. I have always been a firm believer that every reade.. read more
quinfinn

11 Years Ago

i like your writes so far. i shall return. and you are very welcome
rubie

11 Years Ago

Likewise. I love your style as well. And I shall likewise return to yours.
It`s scary being left - by accident or design - but fear is, though a natural reaction, a negative one. It takes some getting used to, but we use what recources we have to live with it while we regroup - and slowly, surely, we don`t notice it so much.

Thanks for sharing this, Rubie. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


rubie

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the read, Pete. Yes, the rejection and fear we feel do often serve to strengthen.. read more
Interesting concept. We don't always have the luxury of being the General and writing the battle plan ourselves. It's difficult to be just thrown in to the wolves unprepared, but you learn to trust and just go with your survival instincts. Disconcerting yes, but it will make you a much tougher adversary in the long run.

Posted 11 Years Ago


rubie

11 Years Ago

Absolutely. It is only in the heat of battle that we learn survival skills. Thanks for the read an.. read more
Wow, you could read this so many different ways, and knowing you're a joisey gal, I think I know where you're going with this one. Clever.....

Posted 11 Years Ago


rubie

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the read, Frieda! Appreciate the comment!!
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

My pleasure rubie.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

667 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2013

Author

rubie
rubie

NJ



About
I am a retired high school English teacher from New Jersey where I've lived all my life, except for 4 years when I lived in Philadelphia in the mid 1970s. I enjoy reading the work of other writer.. more..

Writing
I Feel Sad I Feel Sad

A Poem by rubie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Be An Egg Be An Egg

A Poem by s y e


A RIDE A RIDE

A Poem by Catlen


B.U.R.M.A. B.U.R.M.A.

A Poem by Narnie