Happy Birthday?

Happy Birthday?

A Poem by Samantha Jane
"

Something I once planned on using in my book, but tossed out. Enjoy.

"

Here I stand, staring at myself in the mirror, my eyes a blotchy red, my face stained with tears. It hurts, it really does. It’s the first time I’ve looked at myself in a long time. I slide down the wall, back into my original position on the floor. It’s the position I’ve been in for days- curled into a ball, hood over my head. I haven’t eaten, I haven’t slept, I’m dehydrated and I feel horrible. I’m surrounded by memories, horrible, hideous memories. My older brother has moved out, my Mum is dead, and my twin sister is in hospital on a ventilator. Tilting my head slightly to the right, I can see my calendar. The day outlined in yellow highlighter. I immediately drop my head to my knees. Happy birthday to me.

© 2009 Samantha Jane


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I adored another one of your fantastic pieces, and it breaks my heart to say one little incy bit confused me. "I fall back to the floor, sliding down the wall". Shouldn't it be "I slide down the wall, onto the floor", not the other way around? Either way, it was a heartfelt piece of writing, with clear emotion and storyline - in around 130 words - that is not much (I counted). Also, I particularly liked the 'yellow highlighter'. Not a highlighter. A yellow one. That was a big 'good' thing. So, I'm terribly sorry, but because of the confusion with the wall/floor, that is a 99/100.
Still... AWESOME.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Not my normal read, but I could tell it was well written. The descriptions were quite good, and the whole piece was very moving. You can really imagine yourself in the persons situation.The anticlimax at the end was also used very well. Thanks for the read. Are you going to post the book up? How far through are you?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on October 1, 2009

Author

Samantha Jane
Samantha Jane

Melbourne, Australia



About
I'm fifteen, I'm in year ten studying English and English Literature as well as various other arts. I've been writing since i was six, my first piece was 'The Little Bird'. I am now writing a novel en.. more..

Writing
Taking Chances Taking Chances

A Stage Play by Samantha Jane