. . .

. . .

A Poem by Saint No-One
"

"Writing is easy. All one must do is sit at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway

"
We spend all too much time afraid.
Afraid of death?
Or simply afraid.
 
What she read said
"One cannot live with one's finger
Everlastingly on one's pulse,"
She wanted it inscribed into her skin
just above the veins.
 
To write with fear in your heart
Is to scribble nonsense
On a page.
All the while you fear death,
You can never truly live.
 
For a writer lives a thousand lives,
And subsequently,
Dies a thousand deaths.
Each period is an ending.
A single drop of blood.
As we drip our veins dry.
Onto the page.
 
Death comes to us all.
When it comes for me,
I intend to look it in the eye.
And leave behind,
A thousand lives.
 
Filled with my blood.
For them to remember me by...

© 2013 Saint No-One


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is absolutely my favorite poem on here, great job. I've never read a poem so emotional, so true, that I've felt so ...... drawn to, with it so close and true to what I am, to who I am... how I feel... I loved it!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was absolutely beautiful. I loved it, congratulations.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love the last little bit where you say, "I intend to look it in the eye./And leave behind,/A thousand lives./Filled with my blood./For them to remember me by". It shows the true dedication of a writer and what we all as writers hope to obtain--lasting words. I love the dedication with the drops of blood truly connecting us with our work and showing the true relationship that a writer has with his or her piece. Because the9y are not merely words scribbled on a piece of paper it's our soul and I think you captured that concept beautifully. I love your writing keep it up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
I really like how the second and third lines end so boldly. I think the first line would sit better if it had a full stop too. This would make it 1) statement, 2) question to modify statement, 3) blank-point restatement. Like an accusing finger jabbing at your chest, but without the anger.

The use of the quote is exquisite. It links the 'her' with a deeper idea that takes her beyond complacency into something measured and absolute. In fact, I think her link with this concept is so important that the section starting "to write with fear..." might be improved if placed as thoughts inside her head, e.g. "this would remind her" helping to modify the inscription/tattoo with this conviction.

If it was clearer that we had moved from the narrator's voice to the 'she', I wouldn't have a nagging worry that the "I intend to look it in the eye" is not about the 'she' at all.

There is a tired, stoical fearlessness to this poem. What is left behind seems as dry as paper, but why be afraid of death? We can be remembered in some form, and that is life enough.

Posted 10 Years Ago


TLK

10 Years Ago

I didn't think you wanted to get rid of me. I was just being creepy ;)
Saint No-One

10 Years Ago

Hahahaha. I think this could be the beginning of a fantastic friendship :)
TLK

10 Years Ago

NOT IF I KILL YOU FIRST.

/daggers

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on July 31, 2013
Tags: blood, death, fear, life, writing

Author

Saint No-One
Saint No-One

Madera, CA



About
I am an artist, but my mind doesn't work the way I want it to. One day I'll be, washing myself with handsoap in a public bathroom, thinking how did I get here? Where the hell am I? more..

Writing
Maps Maps

A Poem by Saint No-One