5 Financial Tips to Help You Manage Money Better After Marriage

5 Financial Tips to Help You Manage Money Better After Marriage

A Story by Sam Cohen

Money and marriage are 2 important aspects of life undoubtedly. It goes hand in hand for some while it doesn’t for others. Now to ensure the fact that both remain in the best of positions, then you need to review your money management tactics. This could only get better if your spouse joined in as well. You see, point remains that if you stick to your own money management ways and it doesn’t go down well with your spouse, then your finances are bound to take a hit. This could then turn into something nasty if not taken care of on time. There are couples out there who’ve actually accused each other of lying, cheating and even overspending. If you’re a newly married one, then surely you’d like to make sure of the fact that this doesn’t happen to you. Read on to find out more.


Tips to help you manage money better after marriage


Here are 5 basic tips that you can stick to if you wish to maintain steady finances after marriage.


1.      Make sure that you talk: This is the first and perhaps the most important bit. Both of you need to talk about finances with each other. If you don’t communicate regarding finances, then  things could become difficult which is something you surely don’t want.

2.      Chalk out your goals: The next bit you should take care of includes chalking out your financial goals. Both of you might just have certain individual goals or even similar ones. It’s on both of you to decide how your finances should be allocated to achieve the same.

3.      Formulate a budget: Once you’ve discussed things and charted out your goals, then do make it a point to work on and formulate a budget. This budget should be so designed to take care of your daily, weekly, monthly and finally your annual expenses. This is effectively the reason why you should take care to design a budget that not only takes care of your short-term goals, but also long-term ones. You might need to review and modify your budget from time to time as and when needed.

4.      Work on an emergency fund: This is again another important thing that you’ve got to work on to save yourself in case of a rainy day. The same is applicable for your spouse as well. When you follow a budget, stash away the money you save after regular expenditure. This should slowly build up into an emergency fund.

5.      Do save for retirement: Finally, retirement saving should figure big time in your financial planning once you’re married. If you haven’t begun already, then it’s time for you to start now. Retirement saving only gets better the sooner you begin with it. Most importantly, retirement savings take care of your future together.


Marriage and finances can very well go hand in hand if you really wish to make it work. Moreover, both of you working together only makes things simpler. Make sure that none of you leave each other out when making any decision especially financial ones like taking out a loan, selling any property and likewise.

© 2014 Sam Cohen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

My wife chalked out a goal, and a turned out to be an outline of my body. Should I be worried?

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
1 Review
Added on March 25, 2014
Last Updated on March 25, 2014
Tags: finance, money, loan

Author

Sam Cohen
Sam Cohen

Sacramento, CA