Chapter 1: Did You Forget to Pray

Chapter 1: Did You Forget to Pray

A Chapter by Sam Kulii
"

First Chapter

"

“Grandpa…. How was your sleep?”

“Sam, what are you doing up so early, boy.  The sun is still rising.”  The old man said as he sat up from the cold bed.

“I’m always get up early, it’s fun to see the world rise along with the sun.  It’s something special because people never wake up the same way.”

“That’s fine and all, but I’m an old man.  There’s two things old men need in life boy, quiet…. and a good night’s sleep.  Now let me lie back down for a while longer.  You can go see who’s up outside if you want, but I need a bit more silence before I start the day.”  The boy stood there in silence for a moment…. with them both locking eyes.  “Is there anything else, Sam?”  The man said in confusion.  

“Did you forget to pray, Granddad?  You’re supposed to pray to the Conductor every night, every morning, and every time before meals.”

“I’ve prayed enough for one lifetime, boy.  The Conductor arranged this life for me, and I carried it out.  Now let me enjoy the little I have left of it.”

“I never like when you talk like that.”

“Well you might want to get used to it, Death is as natural as the air you breathe.  It’s all around us, and it will be here until it’s time for us to depart.”  The Old man said with a smile.  

“But why must you bring it up everyday?  I don’t like thinking about Death.”

“Go on then, leave me to rest for a while longer.  I see you’re becoming upset, and you know how emotional you get.”  The old man laid back down, with that smile still across his face.  The boy left the shack, and emerged into the village of Okyra.  One of the many farming communities resting at the heart of O’Leus.  O’Leus was known for their diversity amongst it’s citizens, but their professions were all the same.  I’ve met a wealth of farmers and carpenters in my day, they’re all the same in my eyes.  The one thing that made Okyra different from the other farming villages was that it had a leader that lived right above the village, in the mountain that towered over the community.  The Worst King, they called him.  The people in Okyra weren’t the brightest, but they’re definitely passionate about who governs them.  The King was aptly named, as he never visits the citizens he governs, but he’s always there to collect the taxes from the people at the end of every weak.  In exchange for a cut of a citizen’s income, he vows to protect the people from anything that may seek to harm them.  He is a crooked man. who only looks out for himself, and his 5 children, all of them b******s.  And get this, Sam was one of the b******s.  Now the King refuses to publicly own the poor boy, so he was never allowed to live in the castle along with his brethren.  No one knowed the whereabouts of the Boy’s mother, but she was a dedicated member of the “oldest profession.”  

“Hey Sam, over here.”  A boy said faintly from a nearby shack.  

“Aubrey, what are you doing up this early?” Sam asked.

“Oh nothing, just writing a letter to Charlotte.”

“Wait, didn’t she tell you that she never wanted to see you again.”

“She did, but I think she’s the one….”

“The one what?”

“Well… I don’t know yet, but I still would like to find out.  I don’t want to end things with her you know, she’s special to me.”

“Every month it’s always the same thing with you.  You say you think you found the one, and it never works out.  Why do you need to always be with someone?”  Sam asked with a concerned look on his face.

“I just don’t want to end up dying alone.”

“You’re only 14, you have a lot of life to live.  There is no rush.”

“Life isn’t a guarantee, Sam.  You need to start taking your life a bit more seriously.  I could die in my sleep for all I know.  You never know what could happen.”  Aubrey replied.

“You’re starting to sound like my grandpa.  Why is everyone so infatuated with Death in this village?”

“I’ve seen Death before, Sam.  He came to take Robert away, when he died of the illness.  It was during the darkest period of night.  He was carrying a large obsidian scythe….”

“How do you know Death is a he…. maybe Death is an old woman.  Maybe you didn’t see Death at all.  It was probably just a graverobber doing their job…”

“You’re always the skeptic…”

“Anyhow, I have to get up to the Castle to tend the stables.”

“Why do you have to go up there everyday?”

“The King requires all of his children to be at the castle every day from dusk till dawn.”

“He’s not even your real father, Sam.  Everyone in the village knows that.”

“He is, that’s what my Grandpa told me…”

“Your grandpa doesn’t look much like you either…”

“Enough, I have to go.  I’ll see you when I come back down.”  Sam said with angst as he began to make the hike up to the castle.  Every morning, he would go and tend to the stables, which he would do with a smile.  He wasn’t much of a complainer, he did his job and accepted the responsibilities the King had placed upon him.  Once he reached the castle gates, his three brothers were all there waiting to taunt him.  There was the eldest of them all, James.  Then there was Arthur and Franklin.  James was the toughest on Sam, probably because he knew that they weren’t related at all.  The boys were all blonde, but Sam’s hair was darker than night.  They consistently mocked the boy for having to live in the village, while they staying in the castle along with their sister Rose.  

“Looks who’s here early once again, the b*****d himself!”  Arthur shouted as Sam approached the gates.  Franklin began to snicker to himself.  

“You’re all b******s as well…”  Sam quickly responded.  

“You’re nothing like us, boy.  We at least have half of the King in us, you on the other hand, have none.”  James said from behind Arthur.  “Let him pass, he has some stables to tend to.  We don’t want to keep him.  You know how father is when he isn’t working.”

“Have fun with the stables, we on the other hand, will be training with THE Sir Malory.  Yep, you know the one from legend.  My father personally hired him to train us.  Too bad you’ll be missing out on it.”  Arthur said with a shrewd smile.  Sam silently walked past the boys, and made his way to the stables where he started his work.  He brushed and groomed the steeds, while also cleaning out their spaces.  

“Hard at work I see.”  A man said approaching Sam.

“Hello, Mr. Lucius.”

“Always glad to see you here.”  Lucius replied.

“And the same to you, sir.”

You’re getting pretty big I see, you’re still 14?”

“Yep…. still 14.  B-But I’ll be 15 in a few months.”

“You’re looking forward to that day?”  Lucius asked.

“It’s not a big deal….   I treat it like every other day…. don’t you.”

“Oh, an old man like myself doesn’t keep count any more.  I just enjoy every day the same.  But you’re young…. you should be excited for your special day.  If not, you’re going to be missing out on appreciating the most important thing in life….”

“What’s that Mr. Lucius?”

“Your life….”

“But I do appreciate my life….”

“Sounds to me like you don’t.  Sounds to me like you’re just waking up and going about your day in the exact same manner.  We are creatures of habit, we all know that, but do yourself a favor and break the mold.  You have a big life ahead of you, boy.  Don’t miss out on it by dwelling in the present.”

“How do you know I’ll have a big life?”  Sam asked.

“I don’t know….. Let’s call it a hunch.”  Lucius said with a smile as he began to walk away.  

“Whatever you say, Mr Lucius.”

“And remember, Dare to be great!  Loathe Mediocrity!”

“Why does he always say that…?”  Sam asked quietly to himself.  

The boy continued his work, and worked till sundown.  He began to head back down the mountain as he stumbled upon a boy in the road.  

“Have you seen my mother?”  The mysterious boy asked.

“Sorry, I don’t think so.”  Sam responded.  

The boy never stopped moving, it seems to be as if he was in a hurry.  Sam didn’t stop either, but he looked back to ask the boy who is mother was.

“Wait, what’s your….. Where’d he go….”



© 2015 Sam Kulii


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
Added on November 23, 2015
Last Updated on November 23, 2015


Author

Sam Kulii
Sam Kulii

NC



About
Just an aspiring writer. more..

Writing