Chapter 2: The Happy Family

Chapter 2: The Happy Family

A Chapter by Sam Kulii
"

Part 2. Dialogue Entirely

"

“How much food do we have left….”  


“We’re running low, by this rate, we won’t have enough to last another month.”  


“You know what we have to do then…. We have to leave this place, and find a new home.”


“We don’t HAVE to…. This place has new policies that will allow us to survive by any means necessary.”


“We’re not doing that….  That’s the lowest form of survival, and I refuse to do that.  For god’s sake we have a daughter!”


“What other option do we have!  This is the only one left.”  


“It’s not…. I think I found a new place where we can call home.”


“And what is this place you speak of?”

“O’Leus,  I’ve been reading about it, and I think that the three of us could make it. there if we try.”


“O’Leus, you say.  That’s over 1000 miles away.  We would never make it.  The Frost coming back soon, we would freeze over instantly.”


“You’ve got to have Faith!  It’s the only way!  This place is out of crops, and the Frost will be back within a week.  Who knows how long we would last if we stayed.  I’ve got to get our daughter away from this place.  It’s a Father’s duty to protect his child, especially a daughter…”


“I’m not going….  This place is my home….  If I’m going to die, I’d rather die where I was born…”


“You can’t talk like that….  You’re talking as if you’re giving up!  We can’t give up…. we just can’t.  Our daughter has a long life to live, do you want her to die in this awful place?”


“This awful place is our home.”  


“Our home is dying!”


“We have a new policy that will allow us to survive off of the dead….  We will make it through the Frost.”


“But at what cost!  I’ve heard stories about people who lived off of one another…. It changes them, it turns them into something they’re not.”


“I’m done arguing about this….  My mind has been made up.”


“But you’re my wife!  We’re supposed to stick together.  We love each other…. don’t we?”


“The love between us died during the last Frost.  I’m can’t lose another one….  I’m just tired of this life.”


“But the Conductor did bless us with one child that has survived….  She’s special, and I have to get her out of here.”


“Do what you must.  I will become a loyal Donor to this place.  They will use me to survive…. and that will be that.”


“Why are you talking like that, that’s ludicrous!”


“Stop crying….  How did you think it was going to end between us?  In a warm land near the water?”


“That is my plan…. That’s why I’m going to O’Leus.  There are dozens of places like that.  I want my daughter to grow up in a place like that.”


“Now she’s your daughter?  What happened to our daughter?”


“You’re giving up…. You’re becoming a Donor.  As far as I see it, you’re no longer a mother.”


“You’re just becoming emotional again, once the tears stop flowing, you’ll want to become a Donor as well.”


“I will never give up on life, especially my Daughter’s.”


Silence fell upon the dark room.


“Mother…. Father…. Why are you two arguing?”


“We’re leaving in the morning, dear.”


“Where are we going?”


“To a better place….”

“I don’t understand….  We’re all leaving this place.”


“Your mother….. Your mother is staying behind.”


“W-What?  Why aren’t you coming with us?


“This is my home, sweetie.”  


“Well, if you’re staying then I’m staying!”  


“You see what you’ve done….”


“You’re coming with me, my child.  You can’t stay here.  The frost will be here before the end of the week, and I don’t wanna see you freeze…”


“But I want to stay with Mother!  I don’t wanna go with you.”


“Calm down, there is no more time for discussion.  You’re leaving with me by sunup tomorrow.”


“This isn’t fair!”


“You don’t want to stay with me, sweetie.  Your father will take you to someplace special.”


“B-But will I see you again?”


“Probably not….  But don’t worry, your father will keep you company.”


“Now go and get some sleep, you’ll need your rest for tomorrow.”


Silence revisited the room.


“Is there still a chance that I can convince you to reconsider?”


“No…  It’s time for me to donate now….  I’m sorry we had to end things like this.  We had a fine life.  Now it’s time for me to leave.  Please, don’t start crying again…. I always hated seeing you cry.”


“I-It’s not s-supposed to end like t-this.”


“What have I always told, there are no such things as happy endings.”





© 2015 Sam Kulii


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on November 23, 2015
Last Updated on December 14, 2015
Tags: fantasy, dragons, romance, dark


Author

Sam Kulii
Sam Kulii

NC



About
Just an aspiring writer. more..

Writing