Chapter 6: Sing About My Life When I Die

Chapter 6: Sing About My Life When I Die

A Chapter by Sam Kulii
"

Chapter 6

"

“Beatrice, my dear….  Are you ready for your wedding.  You must be excited!”


“Father, it’s an arranged marriage…. so I can’t be excited.”


“You will be!  I traveled all the way to Karrakia to find this boy.  His family is extremely wealthy, so combining our two families would be advantageous of us.”


“I’ve never even met him, Father.  Shouldn’t I be the one to choose my future partner?”


“You would have chosen poorly dear, you know that.  His family is very excited to meet you as well.  They said they’ve always wanted a woman with you ‘special features’ in their family.”


“You mean pale-skinned….”  Beatrice said with a sigh.


“That’s one of them, yes….  There aren’t many people that look like you in Karrakia, and his family is anxious to add us to their family hierarchy.”


“I don’t want an arranged marriage, Father!”


“Don’t tell me you’re scared of him.  He’s a handsome boy, you’ll love him.  I know you haven’t seen many men as dark as him, but the Karrakian people are just like everyone else…. only a bit darker…. but also richer!”


“I don’t care about his skin color, Father, I just don’t know him.  Why I can’t I be the one who chooses my husband?”


“Because I’m the King!  I should not have to explain myself to you.  This is what’s going to happen, you can keep complaining or you can start accepting your future.  Now, where’s that boy at, he’s supposed to be helping us get ready.”


“I’m here….”  Sam said while entering Beatrice’s quarters.  


“Took you long enough, now I want you to help the other servants set up the courtyard for the Arrangement.”


“I’m sorry I took so long, my Grandpa is feeling very si-”


“I don’t care about that old man, boy.  Just do as you’re told.”  The King responded.  


The boy left the room, and went down to the open courtyard where the King’s servants had already begun to set up.  There were roses everywhere…. the King’s favorite…. and freshly cooked venison piled high in the center of the courtyard, where the butcher was beginning to carve for early guests.  The Karrakian family had already arrived, their horses and carriages were draped with gold plated armor and studs.  The Karrakians were known for flashing their wealth…. many liked it…. but others envied their gaudy nature.  They are a nation of Kings, and they look down upon the rest of O’Leus…. while others hope to climb their ladder to the top….


“Hey Sam, helping set up I see….”


“Mr Lucius… Yep, I had to help set up for the Arrangement.  I’ve  never seen a Karrakian before, the stories were true about them.”


“Ah yes…. The Karrakians love their gold…. Their whole nation was founded upon a literal gold mine... which has made them one of the richest in all the lands…. and they’re not ashamed to flaunt it.”


“It’s wonderful…. I mean… even the horses are covered with gold armor.”


“You should visit Karrakia someday….  They’re not to keen on outsiders, but still… the place is a marvel to see.”


“Someday…. “


“You okay, boy?”


“Eh… I got this weird feeling.  Something just feels off about today.”


“It’s probably nothing, Sam…. You know you have a strong imagination.  You just gotta stay in control is all….”


“I guess….  Well, I have to get back to setting up, it was nice talking to you Mr. Lucius.”


“Always, Sam.  Take care…”


The boy continued to set up for the arrangement.  As the hours passed and night fell, the arrangement was ready to begin.  The entire city was invited to the arrangement.  


The courtyard was filled with guests and citizens of Okyra, as the King began to address his congregates and invitees.


“Welcome, Welcome.  I’m glad you all could attend my only daughter’s arrangement on this fine evening.  My lovely daughter Beatrice will be marrying the young prince Omari.  He hails from the great land of Karrakia.”  


The Man-to-be emerged from the crowd of Karrakians and waited patiently by the side of the King.  


“Don’t be started, my people.  Although he’s a bit darker than we’re used to, he’s just like the rest of us.”


There was a brief moment of awkward silence.  The King cleared his throat and continued on….


“This arrangement will not only make history between our regions, but it will only create a new lucrative dynasty that will last for generations.”  The King paused for applause and cheers….  Sadly the townsfolk was not impressed.  The King continued….


“Now’s the time, Beatrice reveal yourself to this boy…”


Beatrice emerged from the castle, wearing white and gold gown.  Her face did not match the enthusiasm her dress gave off.  Beatrice and Omari looked closely at each other, two strangers arranged to spend the rest of their lives together…. both were cautious.  


“You look beautiful…”  Omari said with angst.  


“T-Thank you…”  Beatrice responded.  


“I have this ring for you…  I want you to take it…. Okay… Is it okay if I put the ring on your finger?”


“I guess….”


The boy reached into his pocket and grabbed the ring and approached Beatrice.


“Here, I personally handpicked this for yo--”


There was a collective gasp among the crowd as a large group of unexpected guests suddenly appeared in the middle of the arrangement.  There was an old man, chained up…  There was a man with extremely long and deformed teeth.  He had nails that resembled daggers, with stretched arms that drug across the dirt.   There was a crying man…. who carried a large spiked mace.  The mace was dripping red, like it had just been used.  There was also a tall slender man who had a pair of dice on a necklace.  He looked fairly normal if you’ve asked me.  Then there was a the Hooded Man.  No one could see his face, only the dark shroud underneath the hood.  The crowd grew silent.  


“Do me a favor old friend, make him feel your pain…. Make him suffer.”  The Hooded Man spoke.  


Tears falling out of his eyes he screamed, “FEEL MY PAIN, I SUFFER, SO WILL YOU.” He began to beat the surprised King with his blood dripping mace. Over and over the sobbing man wailed the same phrase while pounding on the King. The sound of bones cracking and flesh being ripped apart violently filled the courtyard. The King was in pieces, with all of his children there to witness his brutal murder, they were stunned.  Beatrice began sobbing hysterically at the sight, with the sons all weeping amongst the crowd.  


“Peasants of this poor excuse of a city, this is the first step of a long and arduous journey of the Purification.  Now I know that you all are startled by the abrupt death of your King, but trust me… it will be for the better.  I, the Hooded Man, have initiated my campaign to control the major populations of O”Leus…. starting with this city.  I know that Okyra isn’t one of the Five Nations of O’Leus, but I have been informed that a special person was currently living here…. so I decided to drop by and begin the Purification process here.  Killing two people with one stone…”  The Hooded Man chuckled under his hood.  The crowds were still silent.  “I promise you may hate me now, but you all will be singing about me when it all comes to a close.  When the world stops moving, and the Sun above us falls…. you will sing about my life.  To that…. I promise!”


“Now, my old friend, do you see this ‘special person’ in the crowd.”  The Hooded man asked.  


The man in chains gazed upon the crowd, severely squinting with aging eyes….  Then he stuck out his long wrinkled finger….


“Is he pointing at me?”  Sam asked himself quietly.  


“That boy!  This child is my biggest threat?  Highly unlikely!”  The Hooded Man laughed hysterically.  



“Not now… but if you let him live…. he will be…”  The chained man said softly.  The Hooded Man looked back at the old man…. “If you say so.  Well, I guess I have no choice then…”


“Sam!  You have to run!”  Mr. Lucius said running through the crowd towards Sam.  “They’re going to kill you!”


“W-What?”


“Kid get out of here, through the crowds!  Now… There’s no time to waste.”


“What about you…. What about my Grandpa…  What about Aubrey?”


“That isn’t your real Grandpa…. Don’t you get it!  You’re different, and they’re here to steal you away from us!  We’ll be okay, I’ll find Aubrey and get him out safe!  Now go!  Before it’s too late…”


“Where do I go?”  


“Go to Tzaria, Go west!  Find the Grand Elder there, he’ll be able to help you.  Along the way…. you’ll meet a friend that’ll give you a message.  Give that message to the Grand Elder… he’ll take it from there…”


“O-Okay…. I’m leaving… Will I see you again, Mr. Lucius?  Will I see my friends again?  I don’t wanna lose you guys… you’re the only friends I have…”


“No time now kid…. this is Fate…. this was always going to happen.  You can try to fight it, or you can accept it.  Now choose!”  


The boy began running through the crowds.  


“Get him!”  The Hooded Man shouted.  


The man with the sharp disfigured teeth entered the crowd, he began to violently swing his arms, slashing and killing all who got in his way.


“Sorry about that…”  He laughed to himself.  The crowd began to disband in chaos, as the boy was now completely lost amongst the fray.  He managed to escape the city walls….  He could hear the cries from his home… but he couldn’t turn back.  His life had just begun...

Mickey rourke.jpg



© 2016 Sam Kulii


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on January 12, 2016
Last Updated on January 12, 2016
Tags: dark, romance, dragons, fantasy


Author

Sam Kulii
Sam Kulii

NC



About
Just an aspiring writer. more..

Writing