Chapter 7: The Bottom

Chapter 7: The Bottom

A Chapter by Sam Kulii
"

More hope and his brother.

"

“Hope…. Wake up.  I never saw you come home last night, where were you?”


“I-I was around.”


“Around?  Look at you…. you’re a mess.”


“I-I’m not a mess…  I’m just hurting…. The stars of up above constantly question my commitment to a good night’s sleep.  It’s just that, they’re so beautiful and bright, how can you not stare at them all night.  Sorry for staying out so long, I live the best during the night… where everyone’s true nature shows.  I thought I had a lot of friends ya know…. but they were just shadows of people passing by.  Never slowing down to get a good glimpse of them, and what they really look like…. or who they really are.  That’s why I’m grateful I have you, brother.  You’re never leaving me…. right?”


“What are you talking about, Hope.  Have you been sipping again?”


“You know I hate lying to you…”  Hope responded.


“I knew it!  I thought the last time would be the LAST!  Why do you keep doing this to me?  I promised mom I would take care of you, but this is beginning to become a burden.”


“So…. I’m a burden to you, brother?  The day family starts to become a burden on you, is the day you stop having a family.  I’m not hurting you… this is just my life and how I choose to live it.  You don’t have the right to decide what I do!  Now back off of me.  I just need to lie down for a bit, my head is throbbing…. Do we have anything for the pain?”


“Are you serious?  You’re asking me for another sip!  You’ve already been out all night sipping, and you still want more.  This isn’t funny anymore, Hope, you’re becoming an addict.  You’re at the bottom, little brother.”


“An addict?  The bottom?  Where have you been learning these crazy terms?”


“From a friend….”


“Well you can tell your friend, that I’m no addict.  I just need certain things to continue with life.  You’re one of the lucky ones, nothing ever triggered a need for relief.  You never killed your own mother before.”


“You were a baby!  It wasn’t your fault.  How many times have I told you that.”


“I’m sorry….  She was your mother too.  I just wish I could have remembered something about her.  All I have is a story of how I killed her.  How am I supposed to live life knowing that.  That’s why I need the relief…. to help me forget the pain.  The pain of not knowing…. the pain of dreaming of what could have been…. the pain of what life was supposed to be.  But…. life is never fair, that’s why I have to sip.  Can you carry me back to my room, brother?  I have to get some rest.”


“Sure buddy….”  Hope’s Brother carried his ill brother back to his room and laid him on his stomach in his bed.


“Thanks…”  Hope said softly.


“So is this how our lives will be now.  You sipping, me having to carry you and look out for you.  This until we both get too old to move or carry on….”


“That’s my life will carry on… but you can leave if you want…  I doubt you will, because you’re my brother.  We’re family.  And there’s one thing that separates family from friend…. family can never leave, even if they try.  I need another sip, the pain is starting to return.  Please…. please… just do this for me.  Will you do this for, brother?”


“Yes.”  Hope’s Brother said with his head hanging lower than ever.  


© 2016 Sam Kulii


Author's Note

Sam Kulii
too much dialogue?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on January 28, 2016
Last Updated on January 28, 2016
Tags: fantasy, dragons, romance, dark


Author

Sam Kulii
Sam Kulii

NC



About
Just an aspiring writer. more..

Writing