Part 2: Chapter 3

Part 2: Chapter 3

A Chapter by Stars and Whales

Part 2

Chapter 3


“Keep moving!” Sharpe cracked, his metallic voice rasp and pulverising. He poked Lora in the back with his sharp fingertips. The sun stabbed Lora’s eyes, but she couldn’t move her hands to cover her face from the burning light.

“My masters will be most pleased at your capture.” Sharpe’s voice was so unbelievably terrifying. “And just as a common knowledge, I believe there is a lot you don’t understand.”

Yes. Lora was sure of at least that by now. Yes, if she knew anything in this world, it was that she knew nothing.

Lora thrust her arms forward and backward repetitively violently.

“Where are you taking us!” she said.

“Ahh.” Sharpe’s voice cracked and his small laugh sounded like the fires of hell. “That, you will soon find out for yourself. I will tell you maggots something though: you’re soon to change everything you ever thought you knew about the world.”

Lora growled. “Well--you--I should--” She stammered, her eyes dilated with rage.

“Shut up and keep walking!” Sharpe snapped.

Lora attempted to resist the vile grasp of Sharpe once more. She looked to her right at S.Z, who was constraint to the firm grip of Sharpe’s partner. He was walking slowly with his head to the ground.

Lora snarled and lunged forward at Sharpe’s partner. She felt Sharpe’s wiry fingers clamp deep into her skin, but she stuck her face out, right up into the other creature’s face.

“Tell--tell me your name! Now!” She stuttered, screaming until her lungs felt ready to burst. Sharpe pulled her back and dug deeper into her flesh. “His name’s Venkemith! Calm yourself or I’ll be forced to remove your arms and legs! And shut up--your friends are smart, very much unlike you. You really are dumb! Just shut up and do as I say so I don’t have to hurt you! It’s my masters who should have the pleasure to hurt you, not myself.” His iron voice scratched, sounding like a fork scraping against glass.

Lora drowned everything out and instead absorbed more and more anger into her brain, similar to small drops of water filling a bucket every second, little by little. Her insides erupted in a molten blaze, and this could be seen within her fiery eyes. As she walked, the ground felt rubbery and the air presumed itself as toxic against her face. She walked lethargically through the early morning, under the overcast sky and dark gray clouds. She felt lost in thought.


We trek in acid rain

We sleep under starless nights

We cover aphotic grounds

Whilst the days breeze by

In the winds of the morn

We will do it again

Today and tomorrow

Crack the fiery light

Whilst the days breeze by

In the winds of the morn

We will go there again

Strike the winds with our light

And erode a murky world

Whilst the days breeze by

In the winds of the morn


Lora was going insane. She must’ve been. Voices echoed within her brain; voices shrieking the poem that repeated itself to her over and over.

Lora escaped her lethargy to find herself entering a large brick building, Sharpe cackling behind her. The building looked even bigger inside, and it seemed to expand as she grew further within. A huge, overweight lardball was seated in a brown chair just above several steps. Lora examined him. If she ever had seen him before, she couldn’t capture any recognition of him within her mind. She cocked her head, looking left and right. Shouldn’t there be more people than this extremely huge dude (truly, he looked like he’d eaten a bus). Or there should at least one more person, right?

Then the rest let themselves be seen. Phil showed his face with a snarl, and Gus, Goyle, and Flynn grinned menacingly as well. On the opposite side, the entire gang of Pinches stood, staring her down with dark eyes. Lora had figured Trutt had something to do with this. Gruffy and many other of his buddies from the Pike spread themselves throughout the room. Lora also noticed a large group she didn’t recognize.

They were all mechanical.

Lora diverted her gaze to Venkemith. What had before looked like veins beneath his flesh now stood out as wires. She noticed the mechanical indifference immediately. She looked from one of them to the next, fearful yet intrigued. They looked man-made. Yes, definitely man-made.

But who was the fat man who looked like he was in charge? And if he was, why was he in charge? Lora decided to call him the Sloth Man. For many implied reasons.

Sharpe pushed Lora to her knees. Venkemith did the same for S.Z and Al.

“Bow to Zog! I said bow!” Sharpe hissed. Zog, huh? Lora decided to stick with the Sloth Man. It suited him better.

The Sloth Man stood, clearing his throat. His words sounded muffled, and his voice boomed in a sloppy sort of way.

“Greetings, People of the realm! You may rise, my friends.” Sharpe pulled Lora to her feet and brought her forward beside S.Z and Al. The Sloth Man grinned a pig-like grin, and kept speaking. “Thank you, Sharpe, Venkemith. You may leave my friends to themselves, now. No further need to keep them captive--I am sure they will not try to escape me.”

Sharpe released his iron grip from Lora’s flesh, and left her to join the other mechanical creatures. Venkemith gave S.Z a shove as he too left, and S.Z tumbled to the ground.

“Hey! Venkemith, no need for that! You will not treat them like a pile of dung; they are more important than they know.” The Sloth Man said, surpressing a confused smile on his face. Lora couldn’t tell if the smile was supposed to be threatening or not. She couldn’t find anything particular on his face that hinted either way.

“Come forth my henchman!” The Sloth man bellowed, looking for a particular face within the Pinches. “Where is Trutt!?” He eyed each of them, looking for Trutt. Finally Trutt stood and hobbled up to the front.

“Yes, master. I am here.” He said, bowing as he made his way up the long black corridor and kneeled before the Sloth Man. “What do you require of me?”

“Rise, friend. Face our captors, and tell them who we are and please explain to them my divine power.”

“Yes, master.” Trutt twisted around, looking at Lora with a certain evil in his gleaming eyes that couldn’t be explained with words. “You will respect each person in this room--for we are your superiors. Yes, I suspect several dozens of years back you might have called us the government.”

S.Z dropped to his knees. “No, you can’t! No--No--No…” He shook his head as his emotions became dark and in despair. “How--how are you going to get people to listen to what you have to say--I’ll never--you can’t--”

Trutt chuckled, and an evil could be heard in the back of his throat as he spoke. “Because the People will always give in to what is new and transforming. People are never content; they will always strive to keep progressing as the human race. No matter what this means for them. People can’t live simple, and they can’t simply remain in a certain state of being. The generation won’t allow it. If a group of powerful individuals decides to lead in this progression--and if these individuals will hurt you if don’t give in--the People will allow for it and, honestly, they won’t care what we do as long as we make it seem like the best option for them as the People--for the human race.” Trutt paused. Lora let it sink in. Trutt was right. People really would do anything for change and progression--even false progression. Trutt nodded, seeing Lora, S.Z, and Al remained silent. “So, Zog is your leader, and you will do as he says from this point forth. We are going to rise as a country and dominate all others. Zog has a master plan--it’s truly ingenious--and we are going to make sure the whole country comes to know and respect us as their leaders. And you are going to help us, whether you know it or not.”

The Sloth Man smiled.  “Yes--perfect--alright, so now that that’s settled, Lora, come forth to me. Now.” Lora looked at S.Z, then stepped slowly up the crusty steps to the Sloth Man. The Sloth Man gave a nasty smile, then handed Lora a small, loaded pistol.

He turned and looked at Trutt. Then he smiled at Lora. “Kill him.” he said.


© 2015 Stars and Whales


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, this is getting exciting! I really like your descriptions of mechanical creatures and how they act, I could also picture The Sloth man along with the way he talks just by the dialogue. And your cliffhangers always make you want to keep reading. Great job! Keep it up!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Could you actually answer the same questions you asked me, but for mine? I thought they w.. read more



Reviews

Well, this is getting exciting! I really like your descriptions of mechanical creatures and how they act, I could also picture The Sloth man along with the way he talks just by the dialogue. And your cliffhangers always make you want to keep reading. Great job! Keep it up!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Could you actually answer the same questions you asked me, but for mine? I thought they w.. read more
I really like the words you use to describe. "Sharpe cracked, his metallic voice rasp and pulverising." as an example. I love the characters and I can't wait to read more!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
Hey I came across a great writing tool I think you should check out, it will tell you more about your story than I could. The story is still has my interest so I will keep reading :~)
https://www.grammarly.com/1?affiliateID=1959&affiliateNetwork=ho

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Yes thank you I signed up! What did you think of the three chapters as far as everything else beside.. read more
Bear

8 Years Ago

It is evolving nicely. You are at the point in he story where you need to be careful because your re.. read more
Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thanks! Good advice!
You are a very good storyteller. I enjoy every chapter you write. The main characters are very memorable. It would be nice to return the favor. Good job. Keep writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Like a Car Like a Car

A Poem by Farrah


Manslaughter Manslaughter

A Poem by Emily