Everything will be ok from here... Hopefully

Everything will be ok from here... Hopefully

A Story by Samantha Lynn
"

I originally wrote this as a Narrative for creative writing, but its just so powerfull and really shows the real me.... so here ya go.... XD

"

“Samantha, could you please come here for a minute? We need to talk.” Mom’s gentle voice echoes down the hallway and rings into my ears. Mom and Dad both stand in the kitchen, holding each other closely, with grief stricken eyes, matching colors that catch complexions of the deepest ocean. My first thought is, who died, but I know not to speak this out loud. This is neither the time nor place for jokes. I am hesitant whether walk in and sit down with them or not, but I reluctantly walk into the kitchen and sit down next to my brother; he looks scared.

“What’s wrong?” They are the only words that I can force out of my mouth at that moment. I see tears roll down Mom’s rosy red cheeks. There is defiantly something wrong here, but nothing ever happens to us, so I really don’t have much to worry about. Right?  

I don’t know what to think. Hesitantly, I walk over to the kitchen table and quietly sit down. Mom can’t speak and gives Dad a look that screams tell-them-for-me. I can tell that he doesn’t want to, but in his mind, he knows that it is all up to him. 

“Well, there really is no easy way to say this.” He stops talking. I can see that he tries to speak but nothing is coming out; he is speechless.

“Just spit it out!” My brother blurts out after three minutes of daunting silence.

“I have cancer.” She stutters through the words, bursting into tears, instantaneously. I don’t know what to say, or what to feel. I feel the atmosphere around me getting hotter and hotter. The distressing mood was too overwhelming for my heart to handle, and I feel as if I may faint. It feels as of the eeriness of the night came to me and ripped out all my hopes and dreams and threw them away, out of my reach, to forever be forgotten. Holding back tears is hard for me to accomplish. I can feel them form in my eyes and gradually roll down my face. The room fills with silence that rings into my ears. 

The days go by, and things just seem to be getting worse. There is nothing that I can do but hope. Nothing I do seems to make things better. I have tried cooking every day of the week, keeping the house clean, feeding Mom her pills, and cleaning up her vomit. Nothing helps.

Hope seems to be the only thing that matters, even if it is harder to achieve.  

“Mom, you don’t have to do that. I will cook dinner.” Mom stands over the stove stirring the boiling water that contains nothing.

“It’s ok. I can do it.” I can see her hands shaking with sadness.

“Ok, you ready.” I hear Dad’s voice call out from the nearest bathroom down the hall followed by the ear splintering sound of a shaver starting up. Ready for what? Mom lets out a big, empty sigh and walks away.

“Wait? Where are you going? What are you ready for?” Mom stops where she is and looks over her left shoulder. A tiny tear glistens over her cheek.

“Just come with me.” She starts walking again and I follow. Dad stands alone and shaking in the bathroom. He guides me over to the side so I am out of the way and Mom stands in front of the big mirror. She stands there looking scared and alone, thinking why this had to happen to her. I feel my eyes getting big, red, and puffy and tears roll down my cheeks. I know what is about to happen. My mom is about to do something that she doesn’t want to have to do. She has to do something that no woman should have to endure. Dad starts up the shaver again. Mom takes one last look into the mirror and turns around. I cover my mouth and burst into tears for what is about to happen. Dad starts shaving. All I can do is sit there and watch all my mom’s hopes and dreams float away from us, never to be seen again. 

Maybe things will get better from here.

Maybe this is where everything goes up, instead of crumbling down.

     He is done, finally. Mom turns around and hesitantly looks into the mirror. Her eyes say a million things all at one time. They say why me, but also this is for the better; they say why did I have to shave my head, but also this won’t be that bad.

     I run over to my mom and give her a big hug that lasts for what seems to be hours.

“Everything is going to be all right.” I look up into her aqua blue eyes and see a glimpse of happiness and hope. It was then that I knew everything would be ok.

© 2011 Samantha Lynn


Author's Note

Samantha Lynn
any grammar? wording issues? This is gonna be graded so help is highly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A powerful and sad story. Cancer is a hard subject to write about. Take many good people from us too early. Good flow of thoughts and a strong ending. A excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This is beautiful. You built the tension at the beginning incredibly well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2011
Last Updated on October 28, 2011