Beyond Valor

Beyond Valor

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The sacrifice and the price to pay.

"

Beyond Valor…By Sami Khalil

An Analysis of a widow of a fallen hero…

Barreled waves crashed upon the flood of emotions, breaching the surface of jaded eyes, with noted crest and velocity.


To align her memory, of no unbreakable bonds, she saw in real time the slippage of pathless dreams into alabaster dirges.


Every day passed, she listened to riptides and the news of her husband, George Cavallaro, who was embedded in the Iraq war and, had the misfortune of being killed by an IED, in the line of duty, under a heightened sun and across grinding sand.


Upon hearing the news, immediately her thoughts were christened with tears, falling into the sink drains of topiary reflections.


Glaringly insecure, she questioned the validity of wars, or their legitimacy, with sustaining stares, albeit aslant.


Seasons began to fade into moments of aghast flows and withered blows. Voices fell silent at times into eternal oblivion, away from the essence of hope.


She rejoiced not in the minimal of mortified states and, had to remind herself, over and over, that a baby boy is on the way, semi-orphaned across the pages of life.


As she thought, things that linger, past and present, seem to be the homecomings of resurrected souls, alive in passions and flames.


She spoke no further of turbid confessions, as admittance had many shadows of eclipsed disdains.  


Off in the distance, the dying sun dotted the uninitiated nights, in sorrowful swoons.


 What becomes of a heart, any heart, loved to an extent, but be worthy of saving its memory, aside from the places where ashes lay.


In darkest hours, she read the last letter received from him with smiles, that retained the brokenness of drifted pleasures.


Out of her writs, and in the shield position, she was lulled by the gift of life, with bent posture, to be born cheerful and with a ruddy complexion.



She finally folded the letter, gazing mutely, then uttered,

Embers cold, darkened are the hues

Hearts restless, searching for clues

I shall await in my wrenching need

And resign in your arms, as I plead.       




Related image





                                                        

© 2017 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The loved ones of fallen heroes have relatively little time for self-pity; they must be about the business of seeing to it that their brave and beloved champions did not make futile sacrifices.
Spread the word! Tell their stories!
There is obviously much more said in "Beyond Valor"; these sentiments are what struck me most.
A magnificent creation, Sami!



Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well articulated dear poet. Thank you so much for this wonderful review and kind visit. .. read more
a touching and very creative write sami,i really enjoyed the journey through this mind

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this wonderful review and appreciation. All rich bles.. read more
Damn - the story was so poetic Sami that your comment about what I thought about the poem too threw me a little. I thought I was reading poetry right the way through! Such is your wonderful eloquence.

The poem at the end does the job of 'folding up the scene' like the letter in her hands and leaves a heavy sorrow in the reader's heart.
Top notch writing Sami.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much great poet and friend for this marvelous review and your appreciation. I'm so grat.. read more
"What becomes of a heart, any heart, loved to an extent, but be worthy of saving its memory, aside from the places where ashes lay."

Sami Khalil


Posted 6 Years Ago


What do you think about the poem too?
Some stories I like to include a poem with it at the beginning or the end.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Embers cold, darkened are the hues
Hearts restless, searching for clues
I shall await in my wrenching need
And resign in your arms, as I plead.

Sami Khalil


Posted 6 Years Ago


A short take on current affairs.
Enjoy

Posted 6 Years Ago



4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1516 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on October 4, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2017

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..