Square Deal

Square Deal

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The story of the barnyard bird.

"

Related image

Square Deal/........By Sami Khalil

The story of the Barnyard Bird.

They dived into harbinger dreams of the warm clime, while nestling seamlessly a lush, green barnyard copse all summer. A large flock of birds were ready to make the journey(pilgrimage), veering south, for they knew that birds that flock together, thrive together.

Between paws and hoofs, the braying of donkeys was a cause of discomfort to public domains, as gazing cows were chewing gently their culinary cud. Horses neighed in the distance, swishing their tails, while frolicking around the pasture, blanketed by sunrise hues.

Farmers were tending their haylofts, as the sibilant sound of the wind chimed in uncertain tuning.

Ants came marching as always, urged on by dreams of storing harvest for the rainy days. As for the rooster, full of pride and vanity, unanimously the valiant messenger, left petulant holes to non-early risers of blue yonder and hesitations.

We know that seasons change behaviors except for this hard-headed bird (rebellious I might say) who, for short of wisdom, decided to remain behind and not fly off according to plan with his peers. He wanted to stay in the exotic comfort zone (the exotic barnyard) and enjoy all what it has to offer. Winter came fast like a thief, dim cold and bleak, and the weighty snow started falling.

This bird’s plight wilted his hopes of any survival plan and the way of his death was imminent, frozen in a shield of hoarfrost, laying upon the flaxen grasses.

A wayward, hungry cat came along and feasted on him. Had he listened, it would have been a lifesaver. Had he joined the survival scheme, he would have been successful.

 

No footprints mar the blindfolded birthing

When foolishness sully an ushered wisdom

Together we thrive onslaughts of survival

With weary pent, dreadfulness unearthing



Related image



Image result for Barnyard birds paintings












 

© 2017 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the rooster stayed behind... i wonder though from a different perspective...bare with me, but how are ghost made? i dont know if there is an exact science but what if the rooster accomplished much more than he wanted. yes he died from a desire of misguided purpose. but ive been to places where people who died like that forever changed the place. what if now the roster will always have the square deal? wait...wait is this the cost of the square deal?

Posted 3 Months Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Months Ago

It is all possible;Hard to rule things out or forsee the outcome as you marvelously state. Thank you.. read more
'Square Deal'
Sami khalil,
The title is a warning, a counsel to pay attention and allow oneself to be part of community and to not be so independent that one becomes lost and isolated. To easy to do I think. Your bird subject decided to make his own way which was to not be a part of his group and it's safety. I loved the images of simple beauty within context as well as the paintings placed to give even more explanation and great vocabulary which gave it a winsomeness.
This one was super special in its length as well. Enough explanation but not to short.
Blessings to you
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All wonderful. You are valued immensely.
Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

Thanks Mr. Sami. You too.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::::::)))))))))
The whole story is too vivid as if you, yourself might be a bird in past and feel the moment.
You are master in writing, dear writer. From starting to ending, every word was making a picture in my mind and it is the quality of your story.
Thank you sooo much for sharing with all of us. :)
The poem at theend of story is too good.
:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this excellent review and kind words. You are ap.. read more
Irenic

6 Years Ago

Don't thank me, i am thankful to you for sharing your creativity with us and letting us to learn fro.. read more
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)...............
Artwork and words are amazing my friend. Always a pleasure to read your work. I hope you and family are having a safe and fun holiday.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! Same to you my good friend. Thank you so much for this chrished visit and wishes. Peace on Eart.. read more
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

You are welcome my good friend.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)...............
An entertaining fable in very poetic language, even in the story part! I very much enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you too for the certification and visit. I appreciate all. Take care.
Wonderful, Sami! Life is such a journey and only the stronger will survive with the help of others. We as humans often are clouded by our own judgment and selfishness but if we look at how the other beings (animals) pull together to take on life's journey, you realize very quickly that life does not have be this hard. Loved it Sami!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Amazing insight and words. You are clever indeed. I can't agree more. We are all part of the whole a.. read more
beautiful, glad to see you are still wordsmithing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Whoa! What a lovely visit. So glad to see you and know you like it. Still going and going....
.. read more
The personification here is wonderful, Sami. There is a lesson we can learn from the animal kingdom....we must all help one another get through the tough times and by doing so, we are all stronger. As always, your choice of vocabulary is stellar and I enjoyed seeing the artwork accompanying your words. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Whoa! You have nailed it on the head. It is all imperative for our survival as species. Thank you so.. read more
Another amazing piece by you . A story. I love it. Everything is on point. All is described as it is. It's like am actually watching it. ...... Some people wants to play safe and not take a chance.. Safe is home... Yet sometimes safe is far from home.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well articulated. I'm so glad you like this story and the many lessons it provides. So .. read more
Useful story with words of wisdom. Some would rather die at "home" rather than let go for the sake of survival. Is it arrogance, strong attachments or simply stupidit?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

I would say if it is to defend your country or people, it is an imperative to fight and die. But if .. read more
Centfie

6 Years Ago

I see your point Sami Khalil. Indeed survival is key
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)...................

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1208 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 19, 2017
Last Updated on November 19, 2017


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Luna Luna

A Poem by Sami Khalil