Handoma

Handoma

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The village (WITCH...)

"

Related image


Handoma/Sami Khalil

(The Village witch)

========================================================


She was ominous looking. A widow with dark gifts, according to townsfolk, who slavishly followed their mutable fears, sometimes framed in ignorance.


Her face was lined, snow-white, but to behold at narrow glimpse with eldritch manners. "Incredibly strong", she was accused of many mystical occurrences in this alpine village straddled by lofty mountains, bone chilling; A rebellion against the gruesome king, resulting in her husband’s death, who was the key-holder and the rebel leader; A famine that followed her curse of the land; The suffocation of the high priest; The eerie shrieking sounds at quiet nights; The totems and books found in her house…


There was rage and much accusations by the populace. It seemed everyone wanted simple answers or solutions toward certain types for adoption. In particular, no self-identification with the outcasts of society. What a pity! For many people operate in their own self-interest without compassion, influenced or not, for saturation points.


“Death must follow her,” they demanded. “We must set her and her house on fire,” and so they tried but she escaped, unlike her house, to the woods, to be bound by solitary veils.


Starless were the nights she spent recalling her husband’s memory, who was her sword and shield. If she can only visit his grave at night stealthily, and be with him, summoning his spirit, then the embers of love will stay inflamed as ever out of life’s agony.


Something told her to go back to town, in dancing shadows of the Moon, and pay her respects. It could be a dream or it could be a nightmare, but she was adamant with certainty.


The evil guardians were waiting for her, tipped by a plethora of spies, who took her to the town hall, to be burned alive, while the happy, sanguine red chanters, who went around and around in circles, became all utterly blind magically. 


She had the last laugh!

Overwhelming was her joy.


Related image

© 2019 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Note: Sanguine chanters turned red from the immensity of the fire.
'Sanguine means also red or blood-red.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow, that was quite chilling. I love dark stuff and this was no exception. Great work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Zoe for this lovely visit and wonderful review. Much appreciated.
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No problem!
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)...............
Oooo err. Bit scary this story. Not the kind of stuff I normally read. It held me until the end. Nice short story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for taking the time and effort. So glad you like it... read more
A haunting and wonderful story shared my friend. I liked the artwork and the ending. Thank you Sami for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you too amazing poet and friend for all you say and do. I'm delighted to see you.
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I love your work and you are welcome my friend.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Same here...:)..............
Blind to the message of her.
Nice message inside this one!


Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Josie for taking the time to visit and leave a nice comment. Take care.
Josie E. Cook M. A.

6 Years Ago

You too! Always welcome.
:)
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)..................
My latest short story.
She turned them all physically blind while they were mentally blind.

Posted 6 Years Ago


"Starless been the nights she spent recalling her husband’s memory, who was her sword and shield"

Sami Khalil

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Josie E. Cook M. A.

6 Years Ago

That was the line I remembered here.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

All wonderful...

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1147 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2018
Last Updated on October 30, 2019

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..