In Her Memory

In Her Memory

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

A sign from above...

"

Image result for Doll Houses paintings

In Her Memory      ( Sami Khalil )

She gave his heart a pulse!

Before she knew her little dreams, he had grand ones for her.

As the grandfather endured abysmal nights by his granddaughter’s bed, she lay dying from a severe strain of the Flu. He lamented her death eventually in unison with his daughter’s memory that passed away too from domestic abuse, and where his son-in-law, the faceless coward, is serving life sentence in jail.

Those small hands were cold and shaky, holding his, before exiting the traffic of death, in redolent vigor. Grief held his words hostage in his throat, with befuddled drowners of sleepless nights. He stayed in the doldrums a while, until the decision to honor her remembrance, and get those hope engines thrumming again.

He took up woodworking classes at Shelton State Community College and, upon graduation, set out to buy some fancy tools from a ‘Big Box’ store named Lowes, to pursue his dream of compassion.

He hung his negative past behind, just as the new tools were hung in the space of her absence. Her voice echoed with them, as he fashioned marvelous ‘Doll Houses’ to bestow on needy families’ young girls every Christmas. Love should be the devotion that defines our heart, and the happy consolation that imprints our hands in giving, he thought to himself.

Every smile they brought to a child’s face, lit up a bonfire celebration in his mind. He stamped every one of them with her name and the date of her death. After Christmas, he noticed a beautiful cedar tree, with blue buds, sprung out of nowhere, upon his garden loam with gales lacing soft laughter.

He gazed at it in awe while taking it as a sign from above.

He named it the ‘Angel Tree’!       

Image result for cedar tree paintings


              

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have been off this platform for a while and came back tot his gem. Wonderfully written Sami

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wow! Welcome back then. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to review.
Was checking out my read request because I have not been on you know in a LONG while. I came across this and so glad I did! Deep grief in this well written poem!
He hung his negative past behind, just as the new tools was hung in the space of her absence, My favorite line!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Welcome back! I can't thank you enough for discovering this oldie and reviewing it. All appreciated... read more
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

My pleasure!
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

::::::))))))))))))))
'In Her Memory'
Sami Khalil,
I saw this as an inner reality of soul full of rooms. Some with compartments of memories and some with emotions of gratefulness intermingled with pain. This passing of his dear girls was the opening of a new thing, a new season for him. life is like that. It is always moving, processing. Inspiring story which gives a motivational counsel; 'don't' give up! 'Beautiful picture of doll house and I wondered if you knew the craftsman? The painting I can just imagine as this person gazes into the blue sky and remembers.
Bless you!
Kathy

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

I love your response and review. Based on a true story a person i knew. No sure about the pic but gl.. read more
let the memories of our loved ones make us love more.That is the message to me.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and wells spoken. Thank you so much for sharing and visiting.
That is lovely!
The images are too--here!
Thanks for sharing
and I love the ending.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Josie Cook for this lovey review and long anticipated visit. Glad to see you... read more
Josie E. Cook M. A.

5 Years Ago

:)
Been doing more with the paint brushes lately instead of writing.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow. Wonderful.
wow, its dark yet full of life. You filled the different colours so beautifully. Its touchy...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much dear poet and friend for this wonderful review and kind visit. Good to see yo.. read more
hi sami, im quite new, loved this so many mixed feelings going on here, you have some good writes ,,Tracey

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! Welcome aboard. Thank you so much dear poet for all.
This is a short read yet it evokes so many emotions, from a deep sorrow, grief, and hope springs anew. Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well articulated. Thank you so much beloved poet for all. Take care.
This was an uplifting story about coping with loss and pursuing one's dreams despite the spiritual injuries and old age.

Your characters' responses to their fates are unpretentious.

"Grief held his words hostage in his throat, with befuddled drowners of sleepless nights."

The ending was smooth and it cools the reader's heart. I can hear the birds softly laughing as they glide above the cedar tree.

Thank you so much for sending me a read request.

Please don't stop writing. Never stop writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well articulated dear poet. I love your take on the message. I won't stop for I do .. read more
Georgios my friend! Ya know, here is the thing! and I say this not as a critique Sami! In the natural world of (HOW TO) book writing( whatever world that might be) Another writer(of etiquette so to speak) could easily say that your writing is to flowery and not concise. If I had that book and your writing side by side I would through that book in a burning fire! Until next time my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

All good and appreciated dear poet and friend. Every one has their likes and dislikes. I write for t.. read more
John Ciarmello

6 Years Ago

I love all of your work Sami. I will always be a fan! And someday you will teach me jet eye! lol
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Hahaha...We learn from each other. How about that???
Thank you againg, sir...

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1068 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2018
Last Updated on February 9, 2018


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..