The Hoax of Peacetan

The Hoax of Peacetan

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Real peace is within...

"

Image result for City of peace paintings



The Hoax of Peacetan …………By Sami Khalil

Peace is found within…



He saw the sun descend upon the heathered hills of Peacetan. Time rushed past his pondering thoughts, slipping through fingers as fish. The welding of old days had its tugs and pulls as a renaissance of boyish eagerness. He bowed his head, praying in silence, while the umbrella tree was yawning above him. Caravans trundled in and out of the famed city, which had four gates guarded by wraiths from all sides:

The eye of the needle, eye of the tiger, eye of the storm, and the evil eye. He was a new pilgrim on a mission; had a curious mien to him that can arouse suspicion in others. He always wanted to visit the city and experience the pilgrimage. At least he will be closer to God, he supposed. Had he not fled the assault of the breathless coffins in his hometown, he would have become a vandal like them in the making. He sought peace that was lacking in the world of wiseacres. Although his courage had broken symmetry, he still would venture away from the quiver and crumble of human nature. Even so, when legends of Peacetan reached high and wide and were published back home, readers lapped it up in record numbers, for they all had broken dreams that needed mending. He thought to himself, well, everyone has burdens. Some buckle underneath, and some rise up to the challenge. Some sweep them under the rug, others confront them. The main goal in life is not finding happiness, so to speak, but to find peace and balanced harmony. As he kept thinking, he fell asleep in deep state. Rain drops woke him up at dawn as he felt the convivial rays of the sun penetrating his hollow joints. At a distance, he saw flashing swords, clashing in a battle, outside the eye of the tiger gate. Blood was almost to the knees, while bodies were strewn for miles, as the battle raged on for hours where shadows of death hesitated to announce victory. Looking across the eye of the needle gate, he saw large processions of golden coffin boxes shimmering in refractive patterns. Mourners were chanting in an innominate language with great dolor befalling them. Looking towards the evil eye gate, he saw people fleeing in different directions from the auguries of its curse. They wore ornate amulets around their necks for protection. Some held lamps, even in the daylight, to ward off evil spirits. Toward the eye of the storm, people wandered aimlessly, but with veiled eyes of true grit, while the fulsome harvest was at hand. All of a sudden, he felt with certitude a kind of hunger and thirst, immovable though with feet as clay for it was getting after the noon hour. Out of nowhere, an old man carrying a basket of fruit, approached him with the offering.

He said: “Son, no need to be unduly alarmed! Call me the (seven lightening bolts). I inhabited these mountains for generations. I watched the city grow, prosper and fall from its humble origins of vineyard grooves, from its varied landscape to its famed nobility. Let me tell you about her secrets. You see the clouds overhead. They come and go. Seasons change. Empires rise and fall. You, as a pilgrim, are not going to find your peace in this city. It is transient. You can only find meaning. Your first vision showed you the spirit of conquering. The second revealed the plight of the rich and powerful cut to size in the end, where none took their golden edifices with them. The third conveyed powerful legends and superstitions, that become a fact of belief. The last one spotlighted the spirit of adventure, taking risk and reaping the fruit. My son, to find true peace is to dig deeper within. Peace is like gravity unseen but felt. It anchors all who find it. A state of oneness and balance it is. Enough talking, let us eat, drink this herbal tea, and be merry.He departed from him after that, saying: “Peace be with you.”


              Image result for City of peace paintings

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
I find quiet interesting you write more short sories then poem. I like your imaginnery and also message of this poem. Cause sometimes people talk about peace on both side of conflicts but they still make war. When I reading news I can see lot of peacemakers with guns in they hands. True message with good creativity. this is worth for reading .

Posted 5 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

. Wow! So true and well said. I can't thank you enough dear poet for sharing your view with us on th.. read more
...

5 Years Ago

Thank you and you welcome. I am sure if you read news from 50 years ago and compare them to noews of.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All true. You are welcome.

the imaginative man finds his peace, empathy and grace in the soil of the soul. sami, what a fine garden!

regards,
al



Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Whoa! Oh, how I love your words and how I appreciate truth. Your garden is one of good harvest. Ble.. read more
Nice words Sami, unfortunately the World is not big enough to have world peace and technology has brought us all that much closer, so much so, everyone now wants an equal share of the pie and there's not enough pie to go around!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

So true and well articulated sir Andrew Mitchell. I can't agree more. That creates competition and c.. read more
"to find true peace is to dig deeper within"....and if only more people would do this perhaps the world would be a kinder place. Lovely thoughts well written, Sami. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well said. I do agree. Too much going on in this world. Thank you so much Lydia for.. read more
the thing is Sami, as much as we want and need peace, it truly is myth in today's world... I kind of like the words that Peter Tosh wrote and sang, something about how people talk about peace, but no one talks abut justice.. and how everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.... and as much as inner peace is good and nice, it will take much more to solve to ugliness in the world today...

what I always love about your poetry Sami is how your words and ideas unleash us to see not how things are as much as how thing could be... pretty damn good I would say...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! You speak truth to power great poet and friend. I can't agree more. Our situation in the world .. read more
"to find true peace is to dig deeper within. Peace is like gravity unseen but felt. It anchors all who find it. A state of oneness and balance it is."

Sami Khalil

Posted 5 Years Ago


The hoax and myth that a city of peace that has never knew peace and will bring peace. Make your own conclusion.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 16, 2018
Last Updated on May 16, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil