Haints of Savannah

Haints of Savannah

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The city of ghosts...

"

Image result for savannah ga paintings



Haints of Savannah/             By Sami Khalil

The city of ghosts…



Even the living and the dead love it!

With an epoch ago foreboding that will scare you silly, aging Victorian houses, southern breezes drifting, Spanish Moss on ancient oaks, carriage- driven horses on cobbled streets, hoofs heard in the distance along courtyard voices, Savannah is a haunted gem city, touted as the “city of ghosts”. In her beauty at day, you can bask, hiding at night from deaths’ mask; if and when you are up to the task. Visitors are transported back to its uncanny history, abundant in quizzical regression of morbid events. From thrill seekers, paranormal chasers to ghost hunters, its gentility draws flocks and flocks to navigate the sights and sounds. When traversing those streets, you set not yourself on fools’ errands. Urban legends vehemently persist as the story of “Haints’ cemetery.” Owned by a shipping magnate, a rich landowner, it housed the remains of thousands of deceased slaves with their names listed not on their headstones or chiseled in marble. By intention, viciously racist, and not a paragon of virtue, by virtue of doing so, he thought he could hide their identities forever from public scrutiny. With rampant bouts of anger, he would shoot the ones deemed lazy and rebellious, then burry them one by one in this massive plot of the nameless, so to speak. By some uncertain perchance, a band of the nameless slaves banded together, to avenge the name eraser. “Your name is what you carry to the grave, after a legacy left behind,” they believed. “It is your honor and sign.” So, they started a massive fire for all to flee the town, caught the wealthy landowner fleeing, forcing him to jot names on each and every gravestone every night carrying a lantern in his hand. His past misdeeds imbibed horror and fear in them, so it was time for discipline. He was strangled afterwards, his wife thrown from her balcony leaping to her death. Even drunk seafarers kept disappearing.

Startled guests to this cemetery to this day can see a lone lantern at night with flashing names on tombs off and on. Many shadowy figures manifest their lingering essence; the clanking of chains and the clunking of footsteps.

Image result for cemetery paintings


     

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i can think of allies, both black & white, wishing for the groundless racism to take them into the deep hole of nothingness.

regards,
al

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! So true and rich blessings your way my good ole friend for speaking out and sharing. Thank you .. read more
Hey Sami Your words were so good my friend. I certainly got a taste of the horror of racism. The human race has so much to be sorry for. The absolute worse thing in this world is this racism. We humans are supposed to be intelligent and humane, but I see so much ugliness in the so called super races. Even now in some countries this kind of crap is going on. Shame on this b******s . I am so glad that karma caught up with passionless guy, Karma always catches up in the end. All the damage we English, and other so called civilized races have done seems to be catching up with them. Terrorism is hated but it all comes back to the horror folk have caused from years gone by. Great story, my friend, I loved the read....Peter

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well articulated great poet. You have summed it up marvelously. You have graced me,.. read more
I really like the Gothic feel of this story. I feel you were able capture that mood as well as the very serious subject matter. You also have a real knowledge of words. The vocabulary is spot on.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Nila for taking the time and effort to visit and comment. Truly appreciated.
Hi Sami, the horrors of slavery are so terrifying, as well as ugly it is no wonder there are "haints" in every inch of this country.... perhaps eve more terrifying than the crimes committed is that hardly anyone today wants to face what it has meant to be black in America, a death sentence hanging over black lives for just being alive, for just walking out the front door, for trying to have a little bit of dignity... the truth many still refuse to face is that the Dread Scott of 1854 still is the law of the land... this country and its "moral" heart has never been great and too many ignore or agree with this history...

your horror story is one that should be shared everywhere and every day,,, thanks Sami for sharing it here, now... In Mississippi as I am sure elsewhere as well, black folks were buried with not even a headstone to mark that they were once human... this country has stolen much more than names....

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I'm blown away by your truth and your most compassion toward people of color who are God's crea.. read more
The next time there is a spooky story to be told around a campfire I'm sharing yours, Sami. I've been intrigued by the history behind haunted placed and such. Love the imagery and feel to this piece. Great job.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I'm so grateful for you and taking the time and effort. So glad you like this genre. You are va.. read more
Reads like a story to be told around a campfire! You really brought us there and told a wonderful story. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Lydia for this wonderful review and kind visit. Glad you like it.
hi Sami,

i love the spooky narrative atmosphere that touches upon the primal imagination.

you’ve creatively captured Savannah’s historical events as well.

both which are captivatingly
merged and results in a highly engaging story/poem.
i also enjoyed the photo
included. intriguing, and brilliantly penned ink

so glad to read you again!
~ barrie ~ :)



Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Brightest blessings as well. Keep visiting///
ms. barrie

5 Years Ago

that i’ll do :) 100x
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::))))))))))
Creepy. I won't be surprised if this cemetery actually exists, it'll be fun visiting the place.
You narrated the tale very well! It was chilling, and hence intriguing.
I thought the title was subjected to spoonerism, thought it should be 'saints of havana', but nah, I guess the title is the original name of the cemetery. That's really cool!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow and Wooo! I'm so glad you have visited and enjoyed my work. I love haunted places and cemeteries.. read more
Zoya

5 Years Ago

Ooh I love them, too! You are very welcome.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)...............
"In her beauty at day, you can bask, hiding at night from deaths’ mask; if and when you are up to the task."

Sami Khalil

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 19, 2018
Last Updated on May 19, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil