The Piano Coffins

The Piano Coffins

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

An imaginative story.

"

Related image

The Piano Coffins…  By  Sami Khalil



He had finally found the town that reflected his ideals. Moving to Fairhope, Al., escaping the hussle and bustle of Birmingham’s city life, an ardent hobbyist took up coffin making with an added dimension to death; real pianos, nestled outside the vaults, made into them, powered by solar energy that played music from dusk to dawn. He remembered his wife’s fragile voice (who was an outstanding player of this magnificent instrument) that broke the silence while crawling across her face were the signs of death, achingly churning across his sea of emotions. Her eyelids had the shimmer of grayish hues reflecting into a mirror of final agony. When she entered the dark labyrinth of the unknown at last, his life felt like a detritus of abandonment. As the story commences and with maddening grief, he took away with him only her beloved piano for safe keeping in the new residence. “If life is worth savoring to the fullest, so shall death be,” he thought to himself, “for music soars on the wings of emotions.” “And if death comes knocking to those who welcome this unknown visitor, one should embrace him with impending ambiances.”

With great marketing skills, he placed succinct signs above his barn door that read: “Serenade the Dead,” “Calm the Spirits,” sprucing up sales as he promised his wife to keep her hobby alive and well. “Death does not have to be grim and dark, even boring.” Clients, far and wide, came to purchase, making the local cemeteries hum with piano melodies all night long, heard by the locals to their amazement and shock. They had that colorful, bold rhythms that suited many personalities. “Souls have mystique as music does,” “Music has energy as life does,” he would tell friends, too. All were happy in this town by the sea, except a grouching dead ole’ man, a known bearer of evil, who attacked the coffin maker at home with an evil vengeance for disturbing his peace, cutting all his fingers along with both ears, gouging his eyeballs, haunting the “Piano castle” he lived in. Visitors to the castle can still see a figure playing at the piano the melodies of his wife and the ocean waves. The shriek killed him but couldn’t silence the sounds of the music even in cemeteries. They kept playing the music of hope; Fairhope.

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Reading this I found myself far beyond the sorrow of death to the energy of life.
Your words seem to soar, going out to forever with the energy you create with your story.
You are so truly gifted my friend! It is a joy to read your work. Thank you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Effie for this wonderful review and kindness. So glad you enjoyed the story. .. read more
Effie

5 Years Ago

You are very welcome.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:).................
This is one of the best things that you’ve written that I’ve read so far! This is hilarious! I love humor thru exaggeration & I laughed more & more as I read on, becuz of the way you stretched each description to the crazy maximum. The best lines are those describing the wife’s death – that’s brilliant & hilarious writing. I couldn’t stop laughing. Your imagination has outdone yourself with this one! Thank you for the belly laugh (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I'm so happy and honored dear poet and friend for liking this write and accolades that inspire .. read more
Any excesses bound to lead to catastrophe! Even music however soothing ...when played insistently can cause adverse effects on human brain. Imagine a places of rest humming uncomfortably, no wonder the grouch went nuts and put an end to The piano coffin maker.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Another great take on this write. You are very astute Mrudula Rani. Thank you so much for the v.. read more
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

Sami, It's always a great pleasure reading your marvellous stories.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:::::)))))))))
What an imagination - it's a bit unsettling! I always enjoy reading something out of the norm. By the way is this an advert for your business? I suppose death and music are connected but in a conventional way so you may find some custom.
Seriousy - I like the way out wackyness of this.
Cheers,
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Alan for this wonderful review and take on this write. I like how you speak i.. read more
this is truly spellbinding.
as always, the narrative,
dialogue, atmosphere captures the reader’s imagination.

your gift for writing {storytelling} inspires, and
awakens imaginations.

my favorite being these lines:
//
“Music has energy as life does,” he would tell friends, too. All were happy in this town by the sea, except a grouching dead ole’ man, a known bearer of evil, who attacked the coffin maker at home with an evil vengeance for disturbing his peace, cutting all his fingers along with both ears, gouging his eyeballs, haunting the “Piano castle” he lived in. Visitors to the castle can still see a figure playing at the piano the melodies of his wife and the ocean waves. The shriek killed him but couldn’t silence the sounds of the music even in cemeteries. They kept playing the music of hope; Fairhope.
//
...particularly resonates with me. this is a story that
i want to keep visiting ...hauntingly beautiful, eloquently profound

thank you for writing and sharing your literary gifts
~ brightest blessings :))


Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Brightest thanks and appreciations for taking the time to review and share your wonder with us... read more
ms. barrie

5 Years Ago

you’re so very welcomed, Dear Poet...
my sincerest thank yous, you deeply humble me, your .. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)..................
'Clients, far and wide, came to purchase, making the local cemeteries hum with piano melodies all night long, heard by the locals to their amazement and shock. They had that colorful, bold rhythms that suited many personalities. “Souls have mystique as music does,”

For me the coffin is the Person, possessor of all things pssible during life.. but, at the end is but a shell that shows what he or she was.. and should always be remembered for. Wrong, maybe, but how my mind immediately travelled, I get things so wrong these days, but, Sami, I try.

Your story is such an intriguing one, seems logical, is sad, sadness has reflections that shine or hide, Seems that the coffin {bodies) have, in life, responded to everyone met in thousands of different ways.. and so the soul spreads its wings.. even facing evil.. such as the demon in your story. Death, cruelty often hightlights the truth.. if the protagonist allows weaknesses to show. Perhaps. Great writing, Sami, more than worth your long-lived own appraisal!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

You are an inspiration and a model of dedication. I can't thank you enough.
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Wow!? You're very welcome.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)...................
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Frist of I like that idea of piano like coffin. Very original and very symbolic people are like good or bad melodies. I like your very poetic style but you still keep us on the stabil ground. There is very detail describtion of death and dying. Very important part of our life . For me is music very important there is always lot of inspiration. Like in this great short story well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I love your take on this one and your generous support. You are right on the money. I like how.. read more
...

5 Years Ago

This story have nmagic to catch reader attention. So I hope you get more reviews and response all th.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Be blessed...
I like this. The narrative voice, opens vivid images while the overtones suggest the images also bare emotional scars. This is a great short story. I enjoy your use of language, throughout the piece.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this wonderful review and kindness. Glad you lik.. read more
Patricia Wedel

5 Years Ago

dear Sami... when my Mother passed many moons ago, I composed a poem and sang it as part of her eulo.. read more
“If life is worth savoring to the fullest, so shall death be,”

Sami Khalil

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

665 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 1, 2018
Last Updated on June 1, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Between Between

A Poem by emmajoy