Come Hell or High Water

Come Hell or High Water

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Such is life. Bad things do happen to good people.

"

Related image


Come Hell or High Water By Sami Khalil



They would leave on a ferry to reach their destination. A congregation of local Baptists, had found the perfect spot to do lapping baptisms, in the bayous of Louisiana. Onlookers could see seagulls speedily dip and dive, catching some fish, crickets chirping and frogs hopping from spot to spot, in this “Sportsman’s Paradise.” There were many rumors of downstream colonies of gators, but not where they were. After singing joyful noises to the Lord, an itinerate preacher, who came from Mississippi, would pray, then baptize the flock to whoever’s needed. It gave them indescribable feelings of joy, keen not on forgetting God’s blessings. Then he would deliver a feisty sermon on hell and brimstones. Even the bayou witches, like the famed Marie Leveau, could not escape that wrath. One day, an unfortunate incident happened that changed the course of the conversation. It was storming hard that day, rain pattering faces, turning the water muddier and muddier, limbs ripped by heavy winds. Some minds wondered from peace to anxiety. The inviting place became hostile. An alligator sneaked up on them, biting the preacher, dragging him to the abyss, suffocating the poor soul on the way to no avail. That picture spoke a thousand words, tucked away in sad truths. Distressed, attesting to the viciousness of gators, the congregation saw signs of revenge on their suffering souls. With blood pumping, boiling in the veins, some adult hunters, came back in small boats, hunting and killing every gator found in the narrow channels. If salvation is near for the believers, damnation is nearer for the reptiles.” Be fruitful and multiply,” was for humans only, not them. These dangerous muddy waters are fiddling with fury. They cleansed the swamps finally, playing to the drums of victory under the silvery moon. Even the local newspaper reported that victory. Safety has returned. So, the congregation went back to their honored ritual, after great patience and cowering. The sun was bright, soothing winds scattering Southern comforts, jazzy themes playing mind tricks when a  new chosen preacher was mocking death, preaching the baptism of the living, invoking the Spirit of God. Then a shadow of a crop-duster appeared roaming above their heads, with signs of distress. It crashed into them, shattering to pieces, killing them instantly. No one could bail them out. It was a death by misadventure as the local paper stated all over. 


Related image


  

 

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an end my friend! I really didn't see it coming, You always have a way to surprise us!

I felt I was reading a chapter on a novel, again Your fine simple language, is sharp and to the point! Your title is SO amazing, hide a real message in it, fate which is made with human hands, and fate which is made by nature, which one can we escape, and can we really escape it? then, the main message in Your story, how humans are different from any other living, and when they walk hand by hand, together as one, they can overcome even the force/fate of nature, still... it seems fate is FATE and no matter what we can't run away from it, and many times it plays in the unexpected places and times.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! You are so astute and sharp. I love how you put things in true and powerful terms. I can't than.. read more
lightsong

5 Years Ago

You are so very kind to me, all is my pleasure my friend.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:).................
For such a short story, this one makes my head spin becuz it’s so full of ideas I want to comment on. First, I love the way you open this story with a sparkling description of swamp dwellers gathering for pious reasons. Your details are so imaginative, plus true-to-life for such a scene. I felt your intro a little long for such a very short story, tho. I wouldn’t change it, but it kept us waiting for the real action to begin. When you describe how the parishioners think the gators have no right, whereas they (the parishioners) have every right – this feels like a spoof on our current immigration issues. This viewpoint is so ugly to me, but sadly it’s the prevalent way to consider sharing our space with others who’re different. I don’t think you intentionally wrote your story to evoke this idea, but I could not stop holding on to this interpretation as I read on to the end, where I felt a slight bit of satisfaction when the goody-two-shoes actors got wiped out. I believe in karma -- or death by misadventure! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I love hearing more about your viewpoint on this. I couldn't agree more. I am a very spiritual perso.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I also love your title here!
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:::: ::)))))))))))
I enjoyed reading this interesting story. So many acts in the name of...whatever, whoever we deem to cast the blame. Blame the alligator, blame the people, blame God. Blame nature itself.
And once blame is cast we are then justified to seek our revenge?
Acts of violence breed the same.
While good people stand silent the few can summon much destruction upon them.
Just some thoughts provoked by your colorful and well written story.
Wonderfully written. Thank you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I totally agree with your wisdom and truth sharing. You have summed it up marvelously. Thank yo.. read more
Effie

5 Years Ago

You are welcome. :)
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)..................
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Seems like Karma to me.....the hypocrisy of their acts of god driven slaughter being repaid in kind with their own demise. If one is to believe the words of God written in the texts, all creatures deserved their place on the Earth. And perhaps these devout followers missed a vital piece of information.

I have no idea if this story is based on a true incident, but it is a fascinating write, Sami, and one written with a true moral message at its heart. Apologies for my absence on your page. Life has been busy.

As always, a highly original, well written piece.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this amazing review. As you know, we are all vuln.. read more
They died for their beliefs. Very interesting to note that one death scenario came from below and one came from above. "As below, so above." How many people have died for their religion? Something to think about.

Your blend of culture and storytelling is so entertaining in this, I read it three times.

Nicely done, Sami.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well said Relic. Thank you so much for gracing me with your appreciated visit and s.. read more
Sami, you spin yet another uniquely amazing tale.
your attention to detail, (without bogging the story down.) — the twist from perhaps idyllic to catastrophe...and none
too soon is a testament of your gift as a story-teller.

this a wonderfully penned, captivating narrative poem, a foreboding of exhibiting such callousness, audacious (godly) superiority—

one cannot escape justice, in the end, it will always prevail
thank you for sharing your poetic artistry with us all :)


Posted 5 Years Ago


ms. barrie

5 Years Ago

thank you, Dear Poet Friend...also, i love how you mentioned “Marie Laveu”. ~ maybe it’s me bu.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Not familiar with it. I'll check.
ms. barrie

5 Years Ago

plenty of info. on the legend in you tube :)
At first you create such a colourfully joyful and expectant atmosphere, Sami. Then, what comes next can only be described as a blood bath. Can understand the killing of the one creature but to do away with an entire colony seems so wrong; especially as this appears to have been a one off. Seems revenge can be interpreted as justice.. logic flies out of the window.. and so it goes on... and on..

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Whoa! My bad. Gracie millee.
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Prego, prego!
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::::::)))))))))
Perfect title here old friend. There's always a consequence for our action. Was it God's wrath for the slaughter of the creatures he created or was it karma, hmmm. Your work impeccable as always keep writing my friend

Posted 5 Years Ago


kelvin

5 Years Ago

Yes that I quite clear to some avid when those laws are broken there's a consequence in shine fashio.. read more
kelvin

5 Years Ago

I meant in some form Avid that I don't think nobody will ever know hahaha I just went back and read .. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All true. Thank you kindly.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

744 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 7, 2018
Last Updated on July 13, 2018


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos