Tuxedo

Tuxedo

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The batty cat.

"

Image result for Crazy cats paintingsImage result for Crazy cats paintings

Tuxedo By Sami Khalil       (The Batty Cat)


The city skyline gave way to leafy woods, an enclave of the wealthy in Boston, overshadowed by their grandiose auras of mansions, crowning the admiration of any visitor and passersby.

Colonial and Greek styles, with massive Doric, Ionic and Corinthian columns were circled by ornate wrought-iron gates of late vogue and craze. All European predilections were expressed soulfully. An astonishing one belonged to a local psychiatrist who was a de-facto definition of the “populist bizarre.”

Although an expert in the anatomy of batty behaviors and rueful obituaries, he replenished the curiosity of his neighbors by advertising daily in needing a cat sitter for his beloved feline. A procession of people filed in and out of the mansion, failing the test at hand.

“You mean to tell me that the cat has to decide liking me before I start the job?”, one would say. Others will leave solemnly in protest over this crazy and worthless endeavor, although losing a handsome outlay. Some slept fitfully. All have failed in front of Tuxedo, the batty cat, to click with so to speak after his (cat scan).  

With a frightful hiss that mimicked snakes, he would voice his displeasure, exposing sharp fangs. Grumpy and feared, no one dared toying with him. They were frozen even in their tracks by those eerie green eyes, silhouetting a bad omen. All approached him gingerly, ambling along carefully to no avail, contracting feline fears, starvingly poor in reason. But there were red flags to raise blood pressures and shaky hands in no sense of detachment whether passion or purpose.

Finally, a lady named Olga, infused with pride and no fear, answered the call by a clever approach, bluntly borrowed from her guiltless conscience, battling this engagement successfully in the spaces of recent memory, heads scratching, eyes popping. Injuncting the norm by using her wit and magic, she went to the local animal shelter and found an exact copy of this cat, bought it, then proceeded in replacing him with a slight of hand, carrying him miles and miles away to drop that wicked one from atop Mt. Greylock.

The Doc. gave her the job, advertising in the local media her story and how she was the only one to do such a marvelous feat, miraculous to be specific. She enjoyed fame and fortune for her business grew and flourished among other wealthy callers.  

One day the Doc. and his family came back from a month’s vacation in Switzerland, he found a traumatized cat outside that looked like his, Turkey wandering, brainlessly grinding his teeth. He let him in and as soon as he spotted his counterpart being treated like a king, he ferociously attacked him, killing him instantly. The doctor was confused for they both looked alike. He buried the dead cat in a pomp and circumstance ceremony, attended by local politicians. Olga dared not come back for her life was at stake now. She thought to herself, I should have shot him, burying him in a fitting Tuxedo.




Related image








 

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. Makes me worry a little bit. Cats like me. We understand each other's little failings, and still haven't managed to kill the other! Why waste one of our lives?

Sorry Sami,
I had to run with it.

Jon

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you kindly for this visit and review. I can understand.
The story has a deeper level on the struggle of good vs. evil if I may go there. I love your interpretation though. That cat with 9 lives symbolically represents all things wicked and evil in the world. Some people treat it like royalty for they are evil themselves and they stepped on many to get there. Although clever, Olga changed the cat and got some accolades. The idea here you can't just replace something by wearing a mask, masking it or cheating your way to get what you want in life. It has to be an "Inner Transformation" or completely long term solution and not a quick let's get rid of this and continue that...Long story but I can go deeper. Then there is the jealousy aspect. The evil cat was so jealous of the other, it had to kill it and so forth. Sort of what we have in our world or Cain and Abel story in many books...
Note: An answer a gave to a dear poet.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I love your overall brainstorm idea of having this cat that doesn't like anyone . . . like my neighbor's dog . . . and trying to find a cat sitter. The idea of getting a look-alike replacement cat is a little bit of an over-used idea . . . (see the movie: Meet the Parents). But you did a good job of telling the story in your own unique way. I also love your artwork (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

You are very unique too in your own right. But I thank you warmly for extending your love and suppor.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I have so many ideas for writing, but the weather is so gorgeous, I end up spending time outside! *s.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

That will inspire too. Fall is in the air. Poetry on the air will follow.
I love that image of the batty cat in a tuxedo, Can't help smiling at it. Such an entertaining read Sami. That Olga was a sly one wasn't she? Also quite clever with it until the truth was found out. I love a bit of black humour Sami. There was plenty here.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Hahaha. So true and well understood. I'm so glad you liked this batty tale. Thank you so much Christ.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

My pleasure Sami. Have a good week-end.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

You too. See you later...
Ohhh, that Olga was a deceptive one! Always a bit of humor in your eerie tales...and I always enjoy them, Sami. Loved that artwork too. LydI**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Lydia for taking the time to visit and share. Glad you like my quirky tales.... read more
This was a great black humour tale. With a nice twist. Or in Olga guess Not lol.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

I do hope so. Thank you kindly...
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

my pleasure sweetheart.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:).....................
This is how black comedy should be, Sami. Your choice of images add to the already piquant tale of eccentricity of the master, deception on the part of Olga, the intrepidity of the original feline and the sheer misfortune of the impostor. Packs a punch in every part. A short story well told. Leaves the reader with a chuckle in the concluding lines.

Best,
M.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I love your take on this write and how you summed it up marvelously. Thank you so much beloved .. read more
I really wonder about Your stories, from where they came? what inspires them? what's which goes and rolls inside Your mind to think and write these stories? they are to me like these short scary movies, maybe like Hitchcock ones?! I don't know because I didn't see them lol

there is a side inside Your mind that You should keep using it writing them, maybe one day these stories will be taken into a new level, maybe one day to be filmed!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Hahaha. A gift from God the praiseworthy. Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this wonder.. read more
lightsong

5 Years Ago

I say keep digging, You always have something surprising to come out with, truth to know someone is .. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::))))))))))
Lovely prose, batty indeed, scary stuff clocked in your lovely language.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! So honored by your visit and so glad to see you again. It has been a while. Thank you so much M.. read more
dear Sami... amazing story and thoughtful ending. A great Halloween tail of two felines...
as fate would have it... reminds me of the Mark Twain story of having a Twin who died and actually was himself that passed when they buried his twin. I am indeed spooked. truly, Pat

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

WOw! So true and well articulated dear poet. I like your reference to Mark Twain and his twin. This .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

623 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 15, 2018
Last Updated on September 15, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee