Seul Choix

Seul Choix

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The haunted and beautiful lighthouse at ( Lake Michigan ) in the Upper Peninsula. A gorgeous place to visit and sightsee.

"

Image result for free Paintings of Seul Choix lighthouse



Seul ChoiX  By Sami Khalil

 (The haunted lighthouse on Lake Michigan)

Based on my latest trip to Michigan with some added drama...


It was pandemic fear on the ferry. As we left Mackinac island after dark, in Michigan’s upper peninsula, from which we toured this gem, some tourist fell into the choppy waters and cried out loud along the echoes of seagulls.

The captain, who was a trained diver, jumped with irruption after him to save that poor soul, but to no avail, for both went missing too in the salt-less deep.  As high waters buffeted our ferry, strong winds came out of nowhere and threatened us with tossing and turning. I could see the rugged shore, desired much by us all; panicked tourists.

Tediously, my eagle eyes spied the miens of a lighthouse with red flashes then yellow ones. From the pallet of emotions, I grasped unto hope, missing in the great jigsaw puzzle of events. Of said crowd, narking at my comments to calm down, had not the gypsy soul like mine.

Flashes of nice places preceding my visit like “The Henry Ford Museum” in Detroit, “Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland” in Frankenmuth, on the way to the U.P., kept my dazed mind from having a conniption of an episode. I took the helm upon this small vessel and brought it successfully towards a cove by the lighthouse.

Tourists erupted in mass, standing ovations for my heroism and started departing the rugged cove towards the beacon. As darkness settled, we could see the noteworthy height of the lighthouse, which was named “Seul Choix” by the French, as I found out later, when they were trading in fur and lumber along with the great native tribes. Its meaning denoted its value of saving countless ships from deadly wrecks for it was the only one.

In a restless night as such, where fear loves to breathe in crowds’ ears, we all inched closer and closer to the loud party we could hear in the distance. In many shades of cuddled ironies, we knocked hard on the weathered door so someone can hear us, letting us in.

As captain Joseph introduced himself, looking prim as the custom of his day, we were led towards a dungeon where we could hear howling and baying at inchoately. To our shock, bodies were dancing with souls missing, protruding from sunken eyes and gaping mouths. Dead cadavers dangled bestially, sending our imaginations reeling in an avidity of escaped routes. With a cigar smell from Joseph’s mouth that will gag a camel, he explained to us that it was all these poor sailors he collected from many wrecks. None made it alive. We were the lucky ones. It was time for our dance with fate as he stated laughingly. What a conundrum…

Fear struck all present and those who were slightly removed from reality. I motioned to them to run as fast as they could back to the ferry. As we bolted out, faint faces crossed our paths like living embers. As the thrashing waves towered higher and higher, my eagle eyes spied St. Igness. Goodbye Seul Choix. May your souls rest in peace! 


Related image



   

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the easy-read, comprehensive, creative, informative, suspenseful vibe of this wonderful write. You certainly have a unique way of taking your readers along with you.
It's wonderful how you depicted the overall concept, taking a contemporary
(still existing) place (the haunted house on Lake Michigan) where you actually visited, taking your experience of the trip and adding a wonderful and creative twist to it, whilst also adding the historical context of its existence. Thus you achieved a perfect complementary blend of fiction and non-fiction.

You certainly are a skilled and versatile writer, and I would encourage you to keep up the training and thinking and practicing more and more to better yourself.

'...Where fear loves to breathe in crowds' ears!' 😂
'...With a cigar smell from Joseph's mouth that will gag a camel!' 😂

Congratulations!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! It was a wonderful experience indeed when I visited last year the upper Peninsula of Michigan .. read more
Lighthouses always hold some mystical fascination particularly the occupants. nice writing as always Sami.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

I do agree wonderful Andrew Mitchell. I'm so glad you like this write. Thank you kindly for the visi.. read more
Emotions overflowing inside this epic tale, Sami. Outstanding work as always. Reading one of your visionary exquisite stories. Never ever a dull moment or second felt. Need a whiskey after that read.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Hahaha. Thank you so much Dawn the great for this wonderful review and continued encouragement. Have.. read more
A cigar smell that could gag a camel? WOW, talk about visceral imagery! You are amazing, Sami! Dead cadavers hanging...what a dance with fate indeed! "pallet of emotions"....a great phrase. Sami, when I read your stories, I know I won't be bored, that's for sure. A wonderful "edge of your seat" tale. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this amazing review and kind sharing. I'm so glad.. read more
The paintings are gorgeous, Sami. What a hair rising adventure you have penned! Now I have to leave the night light on for a long while, when I go to sleep. some gems of phrases left me grinning.... " cigar smell from Joseph's mouth that will gag a camel," is my favorite.( I believe you are a nonsmoker) I hope you had a wonderful holidays my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! I'm a non smoker indeed. I love your review and how you glean personality details from contents.. read more
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

I admire people who dislike smoking. You have a wonderful sense of humor and captivating style of wr.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

I thank you generously. You too.
This short story was packed with suspense and vivid imagery, some of it quite haunting. You injected plenty of fear into it as well. A thoroughly entertaining read Sami.

All good wishes

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! This lighthouse is truly haunted and packs beauty and mystery. I happened to visit recently and.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Always a pleasure Sami
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

:)..................
most compelling story-poem
the vivid imagery weaves a web of heightened suspense of violent seas beckons my imagination to the scene from the film “dracula” ~ during his sea voyage.

and the ending, you brilliantly captured empathetically the demise of the Seul Choix

this kept me spellbound to
the end ~
your gift for words/story-telling is truly astounding
and always a pleasure to
delve into

thank you for sharing your
poetic artistry with us all ~ :))

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

You are amazing too. All thanks and blessings.
ms. barrie

5 Years Ago

:)))))))))))))))))))
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::::)))))))))))))
"In a restless night as such, where fear loves to breathe in crowds’ ears, we all inched closer and closer to the loud party"

Sami Khalil

Posted 5 Years Ago


"As darkness settled, we could see the noteworthy height of the lighthouse, which was named “Seul Choix” by the French"

Sami Khalil

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

434 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 5, 2018
Last Updated on November 5, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil