Bread And Butter

Bread And Butter

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

A Jewish widow's story.

"

Image result for Free shoemakers paintings


Bread And Butter…By Sami Khalil

A Jewish widow’s story.


Poignant memories flashed bright in her mind. Her outward expressions were an intimate display window of things passed. A Jewish widow, imbued with grace and charm, resilience refreshed the pages of life. She could not stifle a giggle sometimes without feigning interest in things. In her mind, nothing can outbid love felt for her late husband who was led to his death by the Nazis, losing the breadwinner status as a shoemaker of finest leather.


Nightly, still struggling, she would cry out loud, her voice carried the distances to his unknown grave. An atheist happened to pass by her house, meager and bleak by his standards, overheard those loud, somber notes. Being so poor, she prayed that God will wrap His mercy around her, to provide her with a basket of bread and butter; a basket of food for she lost all assistance except what she grows in her yard. No one will give her a job either for what she represented and her age, too.


The atheist, being cynical of religious people, he felt richly entertained at their shallowness and lack of savviness. He derived a plan so that to prove her wrong, compelling her to see there was, is no God. She needs to live in reality, he thought to himself. He hastily went to the marketplace, bought a prized basket of variety stuff, like bread, cheeses and fruit and endeavored to break into her house to place it on the dining table then waited outside for her return from the fields.


With great exhilaration, her heart brimmed with gratitude to God for the miracle. As she reveled in joy, she heard a boisterous knock, shattering her peace to the core. Who could it be?


After opening the door, he appeared to her in a stern manner but politely savvy saying: “Ma’am, I overheard your prayers and cries and, being an atheist, I played a trick on you. It was I who purchased the basket, not God! I did place it on your table while you worked in the field. I had hoped faith will not make a yoke of ignorance upon you and others with deep attachments.” She smiled at him, saying profoundly: “Sir, God keeps careful eyes on His servants even widows. Certainly, He is loving and compassionate. As you deny Him or downplay His attributes, he had used you to answer my prayers. Do not thumb your nose at Him lest be mired with the Devil’s snares. God bless you though for your good deed.”

He left astounded at her faith.

 

© 2019 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

For those who believe, this beautiful and fair story shows example that's easily understood. To those who are still looking for something other than hope, this story turns over yet another page on an ongoing saga. For and to those who believe their own strength is enough to support them through a lifetime.. one can but pray they safely walk the shallows and touch the moon.

You write with such elegance and calm, Sami.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and well articulated. This testifies to the power of human survival vs the injustice b.. read more
a most excellent tale of faith. i love the twist that confounds the atheist and reaffirms the widow ... :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! You have summed it up marvelously dear poet and friend. I like how you look at things in great.. read more
Pete

4 Years Ago

my pleasure ... :)
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

::::::::::://///////%%/%
It's a wise lesson. God does not need our believe. And, kindness does not need God, but sometimes, arrogance may be turned to His Grace.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Wow! He is gracious and merciful indeed. Thank you for the message and bless you for the visit. See .. read more
MomzillaNC

4 Years Ago

You're very welcome.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

:::::::::::;::::))))))))))))))))))
Such a good read Sami. You always reel the reader in to your lines and they are never disappointed. For all her suffering, she never lost her faith. No wonder the atheist was astounded. Some people are like that, they need that faith to keep them going. It is similar in some ways to the air we breathe. Without it, we don't survive. Some would say that sort of faith is a blessing, but I am not yet convinced. Thank you for an enjoyable read.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Vhristine Snne Shaw for this wonderful review and take on this write. You are.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

You are too kind Sami.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Gracie Mille.....
dear Sami... G-d works in mysterious ways. If our heart is in prayer every day...
we may be amazed at G-d's wondrous works. Do not be disheartened... G-d will show the way.
truly, Pat Your poem has inspired me to have more Faith. Hope and Charity, "but the greatest of these is Love". Amen

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and well spoken. You have blessed me with your visit. Enjoy all that God has provided... read more
What a wonderful, moving, picturesque, melancholic, vivid and touching story!
It is full of compassion and wisdom and optimism. The imagery, from beginning, middle and end, is filled with suspense, grabbing the reader's attention.
Yet it portrays the sad reality of human cruelty such as the holocaust.

But all hope is not lost because, thanks God, there are compassionate people like us poets who speak for the voiceless!

Well done!!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Wow! I love your words and how you put things in great perspective. I can't agree more with your tru.. read more
This is the poster child for SHOW instead of tell, especially when writing about faith or other inspirational writing, which can sound preachy when it's about how to live. Here, you use a solid example of faith and you told the story clearly, with a little bit of drama, but mostly straightforward storytelling, letting the story tell itself. Before I got to the end, I had the same reaction the heroine in your story had. I admire you for how many details you can pack into a story (even some pertinent history of the characters!) and still have the message be simple & straightforward, not too long, perfect for the short attention spans many online readers may have! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this lovely and uplifting review. Your wings of .. read more
beautifully compelling story, dear poet...inspiring to say the least!

you convey (one) having such strong belief in her faith. despite, the nay sayers and in dealing with despairs/betrayals in life we all unfortunately have no choice to face. how a shattered heart not succumbing towards an easy path of embitterment, shows not only such inner strength but a beautiful soul, splendidly. & is a lesson we all could and should definitely put into practice!

the emotional depth, tangible imagery you paint in your poetic story telling is amazing!

always a treat to immerse myself into your your poetic garden ~ thank you for sharing ☺︎

Posted 4 Years Ago


ms. barrie

4 Years Ago

brightest blessings, Dear Poet
✨❃✨
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

:::::::::)))))))))
ms. barrie

4 Years Ago

back at you! always!
A powerful story, Sami. It is amazing how some people can keep their faith after so much adversity enters their lives. Written with deep emotion and wonderful imagery. I enjoyed it. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and well summarized. Humans can be amazing. Thank you for sharing and visiting.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

378 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 12, 2019
Last Updated on May 13, 2019

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..