More Than Words: Six Strings

More Than Words: Six Strings

A Story by Alasse Fefalas
"

Sometimes, it takes no words... and a six string guitar to convey the deepest feelings of the heart.

"

Disclaimer: I don’t own the song. More than words belongs to Extreme and whoever else who has the rights to the song. I just used the song because it was just perfect for this.


More than words: Six Strings

By Alasse Fefalas


The melodious sound of the string instrument streamed down the deserted hallway. Where everyone was talking and eating and drinking in the living room, someone had wandered into her study and found her guitar. Although hating to leave the room, being the host, Anne excused herself as her curiosity got the better of her. She hadn’t known any of her close friends being able to play the guitar. And so, she just watched from the doorframe, making no noise, the blond who was happily strumming the – HER – guitar.


“I didn’t know you knew how to play the guitar,” Anne said, making the blond guitarist jump slightly on the chair.


“I hadn’t planned on making it public, so not many know. Mostly it’s just me and my bedroom walls,” The blond smiled.


“Oh, and you weren’t planning on telling your best friend either? How nice of you, Jace.” Sarcasm had always been one of Anne’s greatest things, and Jace was usually on the receiving end of it.


“Thank you. And I didn’t even know you owned a guitar, much less a tuned one. Somehow... it doesn’t seem like you,” Jace noted, scratching his chin to mime a confused person.


“I’ve always known how to play the guitar. I got it from my mum. She was the one who taught me. And maybe, just like you, I didn’t want it to go public either. So this poor guitar has been here... gathering dust over all this time,” Anne explained.


“Just how much of the guitar do you know?” A mischievous twinkle in Jace’s bright blue eyes made Anne’s eyebrow rise skywards. “So maybe... perhaps a song from you?”


Jace’s request was quite daring, as Anne was known not to sing in the presence of another human being; she was quite comfortable singing just in front of her computer as it played the songs from her playlist. Anne’s laugh was one of embarrassment and surprise. “Did I hear you right? You want me to sing?”


“No, not just sing. I want to hear you play this old, dusty guitar and sing.”


“You must be seriously out of your mind. I think you’ve been drinking too much, Jace,” Anne pointed her finger accusingly at him.


“Maybe a little, but not too much. I’m sure I’m 80 percent sober. Oh come on, Annabelle. You and I both know you’re a great singer. And if you’re to close the door behind you, I’m sure no one else will be able to hear, seeing as they’re happily getting themselves drunk at the moment.”


Anne took sometime deliberating his request. Sure, her friends were happily getting themselves drunk in her living room, and they would definitely not be able to hear her sing. But there was another thing of being inside her rather small study room, with a handsome blond she had admitted to herself a few months past that she had fallen for. A handsome blond... who was giving her an adorable look he knew she couldn’t say no to.


“Oh all right. Just ONE song, okay?” Anne sighed, sitting down on the extra chair she had in her  study, after closing the door, that is.


“Right. Just one song. I won’t ask for more, I swear,” Jace promised, handing his best friend her guitar.


Placing it comfortably on her leg, she hung her right arm over the six string as her left pressed the chords, and strummed. A dreadfully executed C chord filled the room, causing Jace to cover his ears and Anne to stop the strings.


“Ah... I’m sorry. I haven’t played in a while,” Anne apologized, blushing as she did so.


“It’s okay. I don’t mind waiting. I’ll just keep my fingers in my ears as you warm up,” Jace gave her a stunning grin to which Anne could only reply by rolling her eyes.


As soon as she had familiarized herself with the guitar once again, she smiled to the man opposite her, “If you’re going to keep your fingers in your ears while I’m playing, do feel free to walk out right now.”


“Okay, I’m ready,” Jace informed her as he unplugged his ears.


Taking a deep breath to get rid of all her nervousness, she strummed her first note. Soon, however, she couldn’t continue.


“What’s wrong? Forgot the chords?”


“No... it’s not that. I can’t play with you staring at me like that. Maybe if you scoot over beside me, I might play better,” Anne explained, giving Jace a sheepish look.


“All right. Whatever it takes to make you play. And sing.” Jace shrugged as he moved his chair right next to Anne.


He was a little too close for Anne’s liking though. She could feel his body heat radiating from him, which was rather distracting, but a little better than him staring at her while she played. She was very conscious of the decreasing space between them, but managed to push it to the back of her mind. Strumming her guitar once again, she sang in a mezzo-soprano.


“Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you
It’s not that I want you
Not to say, but if you only knew
How easy it would be to show me how you feel
More than words is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn’t have to say that you love me
Cos I’d already know


“What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn’t make things new
Just by saying I love you


“More than words...


“Now I’ve tried to talk to you and make you understand
All you have to do is close your eyes
And just reach out your hands and touch me
Hold me close don’t ever let me go
More than words is all I ever needed you to show
Then you wouldn’t have to say that you love me
Cos I’d already know


“What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn’t make things new
Just by saying I love you


“More than words...”


Anne strummed the last note of the song that had captivated the attention of her best friend. Setting her guitar down from her lap, she asked how it was.


“You were absolutely amazing. And it was an interesting choice in songs too... More Than Words,” Jace smiled.


“Thanks. It’s one of the songs that I’m better at,” Anne laughed. You liar, her thoughts rang. You know more songs, but you just HAD to choose that one. A very big hint at that.


“Ah. But still, an interesting choice in song. More than words... I’d very much like that...” Jace whispered as he leaned in close to her.


“Jason...” Anne trailed off as Jace gently placed his lips over hers.


When Anne didn’t respond, Jace thought he had been too forward with her. He was about to retreat from his kiss when she returned him the kiss gently, which was so much not like her acidic personality. But still, he preferred her this way. Gentle, and sweet.


When they had to part for air, Jace gently cupped her face. “Promise me you won’t play for anyone else.”


A slight chuckle escaped her lips. “Sure as hell I won’t.”


“I had expected that.” Smiling, he dipped his head downwards for another kiss.


--

End.

 

© 2009 Alasse Fefalas


Author's Note

Alasse Fefalas
I haven't written for a while, so please excuse the grammatical errors inside...! >.<

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 18, 2009
Last Updated on April 18, 2009

Author

Alasse Fefalas
Alasse Fefalas

Singapore!, Singapore



About
I write poems, and sometimes stories. I'm currently working on a fantasy story called 'Lady of Magic'; the rest are one-shots. more..

Writing