A Closer Walk With Grandpa

A Closer Walk With Grandpa

A Story by Kara Emily Krantz

If life consisted of one long walk with my grandpa… I would never tire of living.

*This story involves Absolute Ridiculousness.*

The other day, I decided to go for a ‘short walk’ before I got ready for class… so I asked Grandpa to accompany me. Of course, by the time he got his shoes and jacket on, I could have come and gone twice over, but that wasn’t the point. I wanted to get him out of the house, and I wanted to spend some time with him.

He took me down this beautiful dirt road that I didn’t even know existed in the center of Charlton, Massachusetts… it reminded me of my favorite places in Vermont, what with the trees glistening and the streams gurgling. And there were birds flying and flitting and singing all about. Right off, we spotted a flock of wild turkeys. They were silly and chubby and clucked about themselves. However, it didn’t take them long to spot us, and they quickly skuttled away. I was sad to see them go. Soon after, though, we saw a beautiful buck! When Grandpa first told me it was an eight-point one, I initially assumed we were suddenly trapped in a video game, but then I realized he meant the buck’s antlers. He was a gorgeous sight.

My grandpa, eight-point buck that he is, was simply adorable. While we were entering the beginning of the trail, he sort of stumbled over this (very small) pile of brush. I was worried he would fall at first, but he caught himself, then muttered: “Well, they’re certainly not trying to make this path conducive to walking…”  Goodness, I adore that man. Moments later, he stretched out his walking stick and pointed at a couple beer cans in the woods, saying: “Ancient relics. From an old civilization.” I just shook my head, stifling a giggle.

After walking through the woods aimlessly for a while, and then a while longer, I realize that this man is haphazardly choosing left or right and has no idea where he’s taking me. So we look at each other, and he says: “Perhaps we should have followed the turkeys.”

We were both in good humor, though, especially him. We found a deflated balloon in the middle of the woods, and he goes, “Either this is where the balloon finally decided to land… or the buck was throwing a bash for the turkeys.” He looks at me, stone-faced. “Or visa-versa, of course.”

About a half hour later (still aimless and rambling), he lamented: “You’re not gonna be too happy with your grandpa when we get home, are you? You’re gonna tell me to mend my ways.” ... I had to cover a smile.

Needless to say, our twenty-minute walk turned into the length of a few hours, and I missed my class. When we finally came out of the woods, we collected our bearings and realized we were a couple miles down a side street in Charlton. This came as quite a shock to both of us, and was nervous since Grandpa had already clocked in enough cardio for his 78-year-old bones. So I jogged ahead the couple miles and returned with the car for Grandpa. You might consider this quite the heroic effort on my part, but I was panting away and barely able to make the trek myself.

Later that evening, Grandma asked me what I would have done had Grandpa had a heart attack or hurt himself. Before I could respond, Grandpa said, “Just make me comfortable and cover me up with leaves. That’s what you do with deer.”

So the moral of the story is don’t go on walks with Grandpa and a time frame.

But always, always go on walks with Grandpa.

© 2008 Kara Emily Krantz


Author's Note

Kara Emily Krantz
Right now this stands as basically an outline of the day, not very descriptive or flowery. This is different for me, and I'm not sure whether I should add to it, or keep it as it is.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow kara, as a I see the humor in this i also see the beauty. It is such a lovely story, and makes me wish I had known my own grandpa. I got a little chocked up reading this bcs of the simple beauty and the everyday things we take for granted, like a walk with a loved one or the beauty of that around us.
This is a great write and I am glad I had the chance to read it.
xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked it. I think it IS descriptive and maybe not flowery but you had very good imagery in there with the deer and turkeys, beer cans and deflated baloons. I love the idea of taking a walk with my grandpa (if he were still here) it sounded like so much fun and bonding going on. It was cute when you added the part about Grandma asking what you'd do if Grandpa had a heartattch and he answered " cover me with leaves that is what you do with deer". He is quite a character and I love that. I truly enjoyed reading this story and hope you write more soon. Congrats on a great job ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hon, this is absolutely adorable! (How come I didn't get to go?) I wish I could've went on long walks with my granny but she was 79 when I was born! Way past walking far by the time I had brains! LOL

Great write, though. And utterly, fabulously wonderful! Love it. Putting it in my favorites so I can keep it close to me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love it as is. Very well written and entertaining.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, I think it describes much! You don't need to add anything! There is so much love and optimism and caring and excellent humor in this piece! I never knew either of my grandfathers, but I hope we would have had something like this relationship, it warms my heart to think we would have. Barbara

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
I hope my two little granddaughters will take me on long walks one day.
Beautifully done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First time I've seen this one Kara and it had to be AFTER you won the competion with it!!!!!!!

FANTASTIC.

CONGRATULATIONS. This is a well deserved win girl.

As for the story - it is so filled with the love you and your Grandpa share and your natural joy in all that is around you that it makes the story glow from start to finish with it's own joy.

You wrote this from your heart and it is a wonderful memory to keep. Maybe make Grandpa's day and print it out for him too.

I am still smiling from reading this one

Well done Kara

jen-JG



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i would keep as is honestly. i loved this. some of my favorite memories are walking with my father and the dog out in the woods when we lived in a rural area. i think you capture your grandfather's humor and your comfortable report with each other very well. how nice to see a pretty straightfoward memory story. this works so well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow kara, as a I see the humor in this i also see the beauty. It is such a lovely story, and makes me wish I had known my own grandpa. I got a little chocked up reading this bcs of the simple beauty and the everyday things we take for granted, like a walk with a loved one or the beauty of that around us.
This is a great write and I am glad I had the chance to read it.
xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful story, getting caught up in that moment with your beloved grandfather as the day slipped away. Your story was very heartwarming, fun and sweet... makes me wish I would have known my grandparents. Thanks for sharing such a cherished memory.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very enjoyable. Your grandfather sounds like quite a man. I think it's a refreshing piece, far from overwhelming seriousness and tragedy, far from the intesity of emotion that writers often feel obliged to inject into their work. The piece itself is like the walk you describe in it: breezy, lighthearted, and wonderfully natural. You make the reader feel that they were just two steps behind you the entire way. I smelled the flowers on the breeze, and noticed the puffs of dirt being kicked up by our shoes. Beautifully done. Thank you for writing it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
21 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 10, 2008
Last Updated on February 10, 2008

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing