Morning Scent

Morning Scent

A Story by not me
"

Another little snippet (I have a lot, just some thoughts, could turn into something bigger once i piece the jigsaw in my head together.)

"

 I painlessly awoke in the early hours of the morning, our legs entwined, my head tucked under his chin and my face taking in his morning scent. I surveyed the tokens around me in this house which had gradually changed from threatening shadows with long fingers and wide mouthed faces to tender and fragile representatives of both our lives. His gorilla slippers, my rings neatly placed on his bedside table, a pair of his beloved over-worn jeans unbuckled on the carpet. Chipped, un-matching his and her mugs beside an opened packet of chocolate digestives. Tearscame to my eyes. This scene, as the morning light crept along his face, his hand limply resting across my stomach, as his eyelids twitched during his lazy dreams, this scene was so vulnerable, so hauntingly significant to me, to us, yet so utterly unimportant to the rest of this unfeeling world in which we lived and struggled to breathe.

This dawn would be captured by time and ripped down to flecks of un-recognisable dust by his devilish claws in a matter of seconds. The past takes over, and as our minds mature and begin to rot, spaces will appear in our memory. This cool morning with its clear skies and icy dew resting upon rugged leaves of weeds in the roof's guttering will be locked away from us forever. This tenderness will never be matched, the sheets will never fold in the same way. Take it in Sarah, take in every moment, soon it will be gone, and all you will have left is a stomach knotting recollection of something so distant that you begin to wonder whether it was reality, or just a blissful dream...

Didn't I tell you? Time, old father time, is bitter. So painfully bitter that he inflicts it on the most vulnerable among us. He laughs in hysterics when he makes us miss our bus, train, flight to see a loved one. He delights in watching the sick and frail writhing in pain as they slowly slip into death. It makes his f*****g day to see another wrinkle form on an aging woman's lips. Time will never show you mercy. Time will never quit. Time will drive us all to insanity and death. Time is not on our side.

© 2008 not me


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Added on February 10, 2008

Author

not me
not me

Bangor



About
that's all for now... more..

Writing