We Own the Night

We Own the Night

A Chapter by Summer'sBreeze
"

Please review! Good or bad

"

“Hey!” Chad, my best bud called. “The guys just saw Kristen by the lake. Word is she broke up with Jake last week. Dude! This is your biggest chance yet.”

I sat on the hill, leaning on my arms and gazing down at the lake. I looked up at the sunset. “No. Think I’ll just stay here.” I reply.

Chad acts like he’s trying to clean something from his ear.

“Did I just here my bud giving up on a golden opportunity here?”

I smiled. “Naw,” I said. “I just want to stay up here for awhile.”

Chad shrugs. “Hey, whatever you say, but that doesn’t mean I have to miss this one in a lifetime chance.” He yelled back as he raced down the hill.

 

 I sighed, lying back down in the grass. My hands serving as a pillow, as I gazed up at the dieing sky. It wouldn’t be long now until dark.

Every year the town hosts a fireworks display at Hopper’s Pond, just outside the fairground, to celebrate the end of summer.

But the thought of fireworks or Kristen-the girl I’ve had a crush on since the sixth grade-were the least thing upon my mind.

 

 Instead I was reliving my dream from last night for the umpteenth time today, something I never wanted to forget.

It was something I wanted so badly, but had to face the reality of it never coming true.

I remember every detail, every touch, every smell, but it was just beyond my reach, which made me think of it even harder.

 

 She was the purest beauty, but not the coming kind. She had a way about her that made you feel alive. The way her hair shimmered gold in the light, and her deep green eyes made your heart melt. Even her voice was sweeter than honey, it made you want to listen to it forever.

 And just to hear her laughter was like to hear wind chimes in a lazy breeze.

 She was the kind of person who didn’t care who you were, as long as you didn’t care who she was.

 I could just…be myself with her.

 

My dreamed started just like any other.

 I didn’t know where the hell I was.

That was, until I saw the sky light up followed by thunderous booms, then I knew I was dreaming of being at Hopper’s Pond on a day like this.

But the only thing that told me I was dreaming was her.

 

 Her hair highlighted different colors each time the fireworks went off, as she laid back watching the war in the sky.

And to me she couldn’t be more beautiful, with her watchful gaze…well until she looked at me.

 

 She smiled tenderly at me and waved me over.

“I haven’t seen you before, are you new here?” She asked.

I sat down next to her. “No, I’ve been here my whole life. What about you?” I asked. “I haven’t seen you ether.”

She laughed. “I guess it’s not that small of a town like I thought then.” She held a hand out. “I’m Joyce, by the way.”

I took her hand gently in mine. “David.” I replied.

And that’s how our night began.

 

 I don’t know how long our night together was, but I didn’t care. I rather die than to wake up now.

 We watched the fireworks together, she told me about how she loved the green squiggly ones. I laughed when she told me they looked like snakes slithering across the sky and she shoved me when I said they looked like somebody had just sneezed.

Joyce took off running when I made a playful lunge at her in return, both of us laughing our heads off like little kids.

 

 We took off towards the field that was covered knee high with grass, the fireworks providing light every so often.

 I watched her dance through the field from the limited glances of the fireworks. She gave a playful shout when I caught up with her, tackling her, carefully in my arms, to the ground.

 

 I held her close, the only thing we said was our harsh breathing and her quiet giggling.

 She slid her arm slowly out of my grasp and laid it on my cheek. Her soft green eyes held unto mine. I leaned in closer so that our foreheads were touching.

This is how I wanted it to be.

 Here with her in my arms, the crickets chirping softly around us, and the stars our only witness.

Here the world stood still

 Here we owned the night.

 

 She laughed once, then moved away, getting up from the ground. I frowned, but she just smiled.

“Come on!” She urged, taking off towards the fairground.

 

 I slid between people as best as I could, apologizing as I went. Lights blinked from the carnival stalls, the air was mixed with the sweet smell of cotton candy and popcorn.

“Joyce!” I scanned each face, hoping to recognize her in the crowd.

I started running, almost tripping over a four year old in the process.

“Sorry, sorry.” I muttered to the crying child.

Where was she?

 

 I heard the echo of screaming coming from the Ferris Wheel, I turn my head automatically and recognize a head of familiar blond hair.

I let out a sigh.

Suddenly my heart felt lighter, as I walked toward her.

Joyce didn’t turn her head when I held her hand, instead she seemed mesmerized by it’s vastness.

“Come on.” I said tugging her to the entrance line.

 

 “Oh God, why did I even do this?” She moaned into her hands as the Ferris Wheel began it’s climb slowly.

“What? You’re afraid of heights?” I asked.

Joyce peeked through her fingers, her lips curled into a nervous smile.

“No, I love it up here.” She sighed, leaning back in the seat, turning her head toward me.

“I was thinking, why did I ride this with you sitting inches from me.” Her eyes sparkled.

I leaned closer to her. “Maybe I can change your mind about that.”

Her lips met mine halfway, fire and pleasure shot through my veins.

How badly I wanted to do that.

 

 I pull back, surprised, when I taste her salty tears.

“What's wrong.” I whispered, wiping her tears away with my thumb. She caught my hand and held it to her face.

“David, I don’t want you to go.” She cried, laying her head upon my shoulder.

In my mind I asked. Go where? I’m never leaving.

That was until realized where we were.

In a dream.

A dream I would soon wake up from.

“Same here.” I replied, hugging her tightly. “I’d give anything to just stay here forever.”

But we both could feel it.

 

 That pull, something trying to separate us, trying to drag us out of this world. We had no choice but to follow it.

As the world started to fade away, we stared at each other until it was like trying to see something on a TV with bad reception.

I could feel her hand begin to fade from mine.

“David,” I heard her say, but her voice grows weaker.

“D’vd…dn't....go.”

 

 

BOOM!

 

The first fireworks went off in the sky, bringing me back to the present.

 The same ache in my chest throbbed, while I stared at the sky, picking out the green squiggly ones.

 Behind me voices started coming up the hill. I watched as three figures walked toward me.

 I knew Chad’s hulking form and Kristen’s dainty one walking beside him, but the third figure I couldn’t tell by the way it fell in step behind the other two.

 “Hey David.” Kristen greeted me and I waved a hand. “Have you met my friend-”

 

“Joyce.” I said in awe. Her green eyes looked back at me with curiosity and a hint of something else…remembrance?

 

Kristen frowned. “Have you two met?” She asked.

 

Joyce smiled, something so warm it seem to melt my body.

“We’ve met before.” She said as I took her hand in mine.



© 2013 Summer'sBreeze


Author's Note

Summer'sBreeze
I heard Lady A's song We own the night and this was the first thing that popped into mind and i didn't want it to leave, so i wrote it.

tell me if there are any mistakes please!
And i apologize for the story being so long!


Thanks for your reviews they mean a lot to me

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved this story, I got so excited when I saw that you incorporated part of the song into your story! It was lovely. What I really loved about this story was that I could picture it all in my head and play it like movie as I read, which is exactly what I can do when I read a book. I think that just goes to say how strong of a short story this was. I noticed you apologized for the length but I honestly think that if you would have made this shorter it would've stunk because it would've felt rushed. Honestly you could probably make this longer. I can honestly say this is my favorite piece of literature I've read on this website so far.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Aw, this is a sweet story. It's nice reading from the guys point of view. I really love this story. I really love this story. It's going in my favorites. I have nothing else to say about this. It was short, simple, and sweet! The three "S's" to all girls hearts!

Great read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Summer'sBreeze

11 Years Ago

Aww. Thank you for reading. :)
Yea I love the song too, and this story really did capture it! Great Job

Posted 11 Years Ago


That is so cute, I spent about seven years wishing something like that would happen to me.. the only thing that stood out and bothered me, if anything at all "... as she laid back watching the war in the sky." For a cute piece like this i personally think a different word beside war is appropriate. Anyway, thats just my personal opinion. feel free to ignore =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


You won, and I did indeed vote for you. Here are the postive aspects-
I liked the title, and the use of media res "Hey!" Grabbed my attention in the crowd of stories. This writing was exactly what I was after for a teen story, cute, romantic and playful!
I liked paragraphs 3 and 4 the most, because that's where you obviously got into the story as you were writing it! Your list of three, "every detail, every touch..." was quite good and showed off some skill! Your description of Joyce made her appealing and so uniquely beautiful! I liked your unique use of metaphor and simile.
Improvements-
"Dying sky" not dieing.
Your paragraphing needs work. It's easy to sort, as long as the internet works for you!
I'd say it's a bit stereotypical wih the boy's words 'dude!' for one.
I think the biggest issue here is the constant swappign between past and present tense. I advise past, it's much easier considering the time changes 3 times in this chapter. Proof? "Called" then still within the first chapter, "he's trying.'
Your spacing needs work too - "Kristen (needs a gap) -" for example. Also, were is more than one, so in that sentence Thing needs to be "things"
your pacing's a little off here and there, I highly recommend rewriting some parts when you are 100% patient to go over the story. I mean, I would love some more on the dream and I think it truly needs to be lengthened. The fireworks paragraph especially, that was pure gold! Make use of the key moments!
It was contrived with Joyce saying "I love you" at the end of the dream

Posted 11 Years Ago


This touched me. And not in a weird way. But seriously this was an amazing story.
Im a guy but Im a succker for dramatic stuff like this so I consider myself an expert about this kind of stuff.
I think you did great. Ive never heard the song but Im sure you did it justice. It was just really descriptive and I was so caught up in the moment that I didnt notice how long it was, so i dont think you should worry about length.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Summer'sBreeze

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Your review means alot to me. :))))
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Aw! So cute! Nice connection between dreams and reality. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was so cute. What a nice story. I'll probably read this again and again on Sunday afternoons. :) Your grammar was a little wrong in a couple areas, and if you want I'll mail you the mistakes.
But this was cool how they met each other in a dream, and remembered each other even afterwards. :) Keep it up Breezy!

Posted 12 Years Ago


So adorable!!! I was smiling at the end. I seriously was; I liked the ending.
It was nice to see the protagonist not falling completely over for a childhood crush; that chose to go to someone else... etc. I rather hate that.... frequent theme.
You have a great and engaging writing style... I don't know if I ever mentioned that.
I can't believe I missed this....

I find it ironic that the title matches the video I sent you.
Funny, eh?

Wonderful Breeze!

*95*

(If I could rate..)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved this story, I got so excited when I saw that you incorporated part of the song into your story! It was lovely. What I really loved about this story was that I could picture it all in my head and play it like movie as I read, which is exactly what I can do when I read a book. I think that just goes to say how strong of a short story this was. I noticed you apologized for the length but I honestly think that if you would have made this shorter it would've stunk because it would've felt rushed. Honestly you could probably make this longer. I can honestly say this is my favorite piece of literature I've read on this website so far.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That's so sweet. I love how you can capture the emotion in a story. What I really loved was how the dream could seem real, like I actually believed it was possible to happen. A really beautiful story.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

925 Views
21 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 14, 2013


Author

Summer'sBreeze
Summer'sBreeze

Stalking Ally's characters, fighting the rebellion with Katniss, Shadowhunting in the Victorian era, fighting titans, hiding in one of the Bandit's closets, jumping over clouds with Jip, wondering how much more can I fit in th, AL



About
***08/01/14*** Heeelllllooooooooo :D Yep, still here WC! I plan on becoming more active so I'm willing to take any read request just shoot a comment/mail my way to do so. I'll be sure to .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scorned Scorned

A Book by paparapapa