The Early Bird Gets Caught In Fire

The Early Bird Gets Caught In Fire

A Story by S. Barber

ROSE
<>
It all started after the disastrous fire in the woods. 
I had gotten up early, and tried not to wake my little brothers. My sister, Lyette, was sitting on the roof, she glanced at me, but said nothing. I had headed into town, Mother asked me to buy new soap, I only said yes because I knew Will was working in the woods on Thursdays. I knew he would be chopping down the trees, I knew he wouldn't be wearing a shirt, I knew he would wave and I would have to act normal. I hurried into the shop and bought the soap. I wrapped it in my burlap sack, and headed to the woods.
I smelled the smoke before I saw it. I scrambled up onto a high rock a few feet away, and saw that the woods were burning.I dropped the soap and sprinted for the woods. I walked about a half mile into the burning woods before I saw the workers. Two were trapped under burning trees, and the others tried to pry them free. Will was one of the trapped. The men got the other trapped worker free and started to release Will when the flames grasped them all, included me. Our screams tore through the morning air. 
"G-go!" Will managed to choke out. The workers galloped out of the clearing, and tried to take me with them. I shook my head.
"No!" I cried. I ran into the flames, back to Will. "Will?" I asked. I looked behind me, the workers were gone. 
"Rose?" a trembling voice asked. 
"I'm here, it's me," I said.
"No, no, you have to go, save yourself," he said. I felt him go still. I screamed, then laid down my head, on Will's arm, closed my eyes, and gave in to the pain.

LYETTE
<>
I screamed. Dad came running. He clambered on to the roof.
"What's wrong?" he asked.
"The woods," I pointed. He gasped. The woods were completely engulfed, and the flames flickered towards the town.
"Rose went in to town, right?" Dad asked quickly. I nodded.
"I also saw her go into the woods, and she didn't come out," I whispered. Dad's face went pale. Bryant, Luc, and Freddie Jr. came to the window.
"What's wrong Daddy?" asked Luc, and Bryant pointed at my silent tears.
"Yeah?" he chimed.
"Rose is dead," said Dad.  

© 2014 S. Barber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on April 26, 2014
Last Updated on April 26, 2014

Author

S. Barber
S. Barber

About
ReadWriteLaughSmile more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by S. Barber


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by S. Barber


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by S. Barber