The Appointment That Changed My Family's Life

The Appointment That Changed My Family's Life

A Chapter by

August 1993, nobody thought that this would be the month that would change my family's life forever.  She was 4 months along in her pregnancy with her second child and today she would find out if she was having a baby boy or a baby girl.  Little did she know, she would be finding out more news than that.  Everything up to this point had been normal with the pregnancy as she anxiously waited to go into the ultrasound room.  As the doctor examined the fetus, she had a concerned look on her face and at that moment my mom knew something was wrong.  The doctor completed the examination and then told my mom she was having a baby girl, but the baby wasn't developing right due to a birth defect called spina bifida.  As mom started to worry about how she was supposed to provide for this child the doctor gave her the options of adoption, terminating the pregnancy, or keeping the baby.  As terrible as the thought was of keeping the baby due to the unknown fact of how normal the child's life would be, that was the decision mom had made.  She was determined to give the child as much love and care as possible and promised herself that she would make the child's life as easy and normal as she possibly could.  However, she didn't come to this decision on her own and it didn't just change her life.  The family came together as a whole and helped to make this decision easier on my mom when she was going through this devastating time in her life.


© 2015


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm. written words from true events touching to read such a story.
great story that shows each one of us in life that no matter what challenges life puts on us to push through it and in the end it will be worth it.
Beautiful story
Thanks for enlightening me,
Infusion

Posted 12 Years Ago


i like it

Posted 12 Years Ago


I grew up in Flemingsburg, I guess that kinda makes us neighbors. Looking forward to reading more of your words . . .

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hi Kygirl21,

I enjoyed this bit of your life history, it was very well written and you chose your words wisely.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, however, you have had a wonderfully supportive family- so it sounds.

You have obviously defeated the odds, congratulations.

Legacy

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 16, 2011
Last Updated on July 18, 2015