The People On Mute

The People On Mute

A Story by Sarah J Dhue

It was the village of the tongueless.  A silent haven, some would say.  But for someone passing through, still having a tongue, it was disturbing.  The silence, the blank stares, dry lips from lack of licking.  How the f**k did they taste?  They probably didn't, given the awful gruel-like slop they sold at the tavern.  One didn't know if they should speak and make a spectacle of them self, but the silence was deafening.  I wanted to break it.
"A pint please."  I said and my voice put a halt to everything around me, everyone staring at me.  But at least the silence was no longer pushing against my eardrums.  The bartender looked like a deer in the headlights, then glared at me, sliding a small notepad toward me.
"A pint?  Ya know?"  I repeated.  I heard the 'schkt' of metal and saw one of the other customers had pulled a knife on me.  His scowl spoke volumes that his mouth couldn't.
"A pint of-" his left hand gripped the nape of his neck and pressed my throat down on the sharp edge of the knife.  He didn't cut me too bad, but I felt a thin line of warm blood forming along the edge and a small sting of pain.  The force of his hand suggested that he would have no issue pushing me down harder on the blade, which from the feel of things had recently been sharpened.
"Beer-"  He pushed harder and I choked a bit as the knife threatened my trachea.  She slid his hand on the back of my neck to my scalp and gripped my hair, pulling my head back so that I faced the ceiling.  The slit in my throat opened wider as he did so and I winced.  The bartender leaned forward, grabbing my jaw.  I realized too late what was happening and began to flail, my thirst for sound had gone too far.  As the man gripped my hair, the bartender gripping my jaw to hold my mouth open, the blade was removed from my throat and entered my mouth.  And I joined the population of the village of the tongueless.

© 2017 Sarah J Dhue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh gosh, this made my cringe in a good way. Silly F****r. Should have known to keep yo trap shut.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on January 15, 2017
Tags: Sarah J Dhue, Dhue, short, story, mute, tongueless, horror, realistic, village

Author

Sarah J Dhue
Sarah J Dhue

In the author's lair, IL



About
I am Sarah J Dhue. I am an author, as well as a photographer & graphic designer, currently going to school for web design. I've been writing since I was in elementary school. I live in Illinois. My f.. more..

Writing