I Am But A Man

I Am But A Man

A Poem by realmwriter

  I will write my book, just as we all do one page at a time. And I will write crisp clear and concise colors. I will write with all of the skill of a master poet. I will paint my picture with all of the colors of Michelangelo and let them bleed into one another, for I am but a humble artist who sees all of life as a grand and beautiful thing...I am Derick Ray  Van Dusen; Artist, lover, friend, Father, brother, son. I am just a man, take it or leave it, this is who I am!

 

  I will bleed out of me all that I can and do for others where others will not. I will share all of myself with the world and let them see me, and I will do it with all of the finesse and grace God gave me. I will be the artist and continue to paint. I will be the lover and continue to be loved. I will be the father and continue to raise my Daughter. I will be the brother and continue to set a good example; I will be the son and continue to take my fathers’ advice.

 

  I am an artist, I paint and I draw. I write and I read. I see color where others see only black and white. I see beauty in things that others cannot or refuse to see beauty in. I hear words in my mind like music from the greatest musicians. I paint with grand brush strokes and vivid images that float effortlessly from my brush. I see all of life as a source of inspiration. My pencil is always dull, for I use every shade of grey. My brush is always worn, for I am frantic to the canvas. I am an artist.

 

  I am a lover; I am gentle when my companion is blue. I am ruff when she is red. I take the time to rub her feet and kiss gently the nape of her bare skinned neck. I bring roses for no other reason than to bring beauty into her world. I will whisper sweet nothings into her ear and listen when she speaks. I draw her bath so she can relax away the angry day. I massage her soul with my own and run my fingers through her hair. I dance with her and sing with her and caress and hold her. I am a lover.

 

  I am a friend true to the core. I will go out of my way to help when you need it. I will give you the shirt from my back simply because I believe you need it more than I. I will be there for you when you need a hug or someone to smile at you. I will listen when no others ears can hear your tears. I will pick you up off of wounded knee when you’ve fallen on hard times even if you will not do the same for me. I will give of myself for you my friend because that is what friends do. I am a friend.

 

  I am a father and I will do all that I can to protect my Daughter and see to it that little harm befalls her. I will comfort her when she cries and hold her when she has had a bad day. I will support her in every way that I can, even if sometimes I do not agree with her. I will let her make some mistakes, for that is how we learn best. I will give her everything that I can but I will not spoil her, nor will I spare the rod. I will be there for her when she needs a hug or just needs to talk. I am a father.

 

  I am a brother and I am proud to call myself one. I will set an example for my siblings even though it may not be the best one. I will go fishing with my sister and brothers even though I do not like to fish.  I will support my brothers and my sister even if I receive none from them, though I do. I will stand up for them and fight for them, I would die for them. I will give them a place to sleep if they need it and a place to hang out when they want it. I will help them in any way I can. I am a brother.

 

  I am a son and I will make my parents proud. I will show my love for them until my dying day. I will respect them even if our opinions do not match. I may not always see eye to eye with my father but I am damn sure glad he is my Dad. I might not always agree with my mother but I am damn sure happy to call her Mom. I will listen to them even though their words don’t always make sense to my young ears. I will try to understand when they correct my path, as to why they did. I am a son.

 

  I am but a humble man who stands proudly before the world and screams to the heavens, THIS IS WHO I AM. Take it or leave it, I am but a man.

 

© 2011 realmwriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great write! Makes you want to reflect on the type of person you are and see things as they should be. And artist, a father, a friend, a brother, a writer, a single man who can be everything like that. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


If you can stick by every word that you have written, you will always be regarded as a perfect man. Life is very hard and you have to take a lot and give a lot, in this world. Wonderful write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


i SEE THIS AS A GREAT MANIFESTO OF YOUR HOPES DREAMS DESIRES AND CONTENT OF CHAARACTER

Posted 12 Years Ago


Have missed your work love! This is tear inducing..in a good way! You take all elements and make them leap from the screen...a man ..yes...indeed...but an artist and fellow walker of art and knowledge in this world....brilliant work xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amazing... I have to agree with Kenneth here.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this manifesto. Words to live by.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2011
Last Updated on September 20, 2011

Author

realmwriter
realmwriter

Harrison, AR



About
You know, I can write about almost any subject, in poetic form and even an ocasional short story, but I find it most difficult to write about myself. I am an artist at heart and will use whatever m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deja vu Deja vu

A Poem by Muse