Darkness

Darkness

A Story by catwoman

Irene glanced out of the window.  She could feel the gentle breeze and smell the flowers that had bloomed. Like anyone who had abundance of time and deficiency of activity, her mind flitted to the past, which held so much of her present pleasures and sadness. Her mind was the only thing that provided light to her life which was fully in darkness. She could remember everything with such clarity. Her mind flitted across to her family.

Her family was her greatest accomplishment. What she always wanted was a loving husband and beautiful children. She got exactly what she wanted. She recalled with fondness, the elation she felt when they finally became man and wife. She smiled to herself. She remembered how they both had been in a sense of euphoria when they had their first child. Their second child was welcomed with no less elation.

Her trail of thought was interrupted by her visitor.
"Who're these people?"

Irene looked down at the child. The only one that ever visited her. She lived next door and often took cover in Irene's house when her mother was seeking her to convey some work. She was presently holding Irene's family picture.

"Oh, that is my family." she answered.

"Where are they now?" she asked.   

"Where we're all destined to go" 

"School?"-she asked with childish innocence.

"No .my child, they're dead"

"Oh"and after a pause she added "Are you sad?"

"Yes, terribly"

"How did they die?"

"We were going for a trip and we had an accident on the way."

"That's sad"

Seeing that her mother had already gone in and there was nothing much to do there, she got prepared to leave. She hugged Irene and said "Don't be sad ,I love you" and she left.

As she watched the child leave, silent tears rand down her cheeks. She remembered with utmost clarity and precision the sight of her dead husband and children. They had been travelling ever so merrily when suddenly a car on the wrong side of the road hit their car. Cruel death had left her alone to face life which no longer held the fruits of hope. 

The occupants of the other car were three drunken boys, taking their car out for a spin. She remembered seeing the lone survivor in court but none of it had ever registered much in her brain. The days that followed the incident was in much of a reverie and she had not cared about the proceedings in court as she knew that whatever the outcome was, she would never get back her family.

Soon after the incident. there were many who came by to convey their condolences. As time progressed, the number decreased until finally no one came. None of this bothered her as she had never returned to life ever since that day.

Th accident that deprived her off her sight and her soul had left her more or less dead. She often considered making that complete but the day she did decide to do it, was the day the child from next door had ventured into her life. She had somehow, without ever seeking to console her. been able to create a small light of hope within her. To see the child so artless and full of life, somehow lifted her spirits.Irene was able to find solace within darkness.She saw none of the happiness and excitement of the outside world and so felt no loss. What the eyes did not see. the mind did not want. In her mind so bleak and dark, it was the child next door that provided the light of hope, so essential for life.

© 2015 catwoman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a great story Catwoman, its very sad but you convey the message within really well, its a tale that must ring true today when so many such accidents are caused by drink driving and it was lovely when her feeling to commit suicide was swept aside by the innocence of a child, great writing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

8 Years Ago

thank you :)



Reviews

A lovely but sad tale. I found a few errors, such as "tears rand down her cheeks." You can polish this up and make it better with some close editing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


beautiful writing...deeply touching...well done...thank you

Posted 8 Years Ago


A lovely sentiment, and you carry the story well. I'm in a similar situation to you; love writing, but not sure of my ability to do it! But you should be content that you have given this person in Scotland a short insight in to your abilities, which are evidently very capable. Well done :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

8 Years Ago

thank you :D I am glad you think so :D
Roni Archer

8 Years Ago

Very new to this arena, so if you wouldn't mind reviewing either of my short stories i'd be forever .. read more
catwoman

8 Years Ago

i did already :D
a great story Catwoman, its very sad but you convey the message within really well, its a tale that must ring true today when so many such accidents are caused by drink driving and it was lovely when her feeling to commit suicide was swept aside by the innocence of a child, great writing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

8 Years Ago

thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 1, 2015
Last Updated on April 24, 2015
Tags: dark, sad, story

Author

catwoman
catwoman

Writing
Chapter-1 Chapter-1

A Chapter by catwoman


Unforgotten Unforgotten

A Book by catwoman



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..