Chapter-4

Chapter-4

A Chapter by catwoman

Kate moved slowly towards the dining room after taking a shower. Her mother was nowhere to be seen. She looked out through the window and saw her mother, deep in conversation with their driver. She walked out towards them. It was much colder than yesterday and she pulled her jacket close to her body.

"Hey mom" she called out. Her mother turned towards her and answered.


"There was a snowstorm yesterday and most of the roads're blocked. Your school has been suspended for two days and I probably wont be able to go for work either" she said bleakly.


As the days following were a Saturday and Sunday, Kate didn't have to go to school for four days and this thought made her ecstatic. She jocundly went towards her mother and cheered her up by suggesting that they make something. This cheered her mother up considerably as she loved baking with her daughter.


The day soon turned into a lively one. Her mother cooked while she ate and licked the remains. The thought of a break from school removed all troubles from her mind. As they waited for the cake to bake, she moved  towards the window and looked put. Her eyes immediately wandered  towards the forest which brought back to her the event which never truly left her mind. She could remember vividly his distinctive smell and the touch of his hand and yet she could not remember his face. The only thing about his face that she could recall was the captivating cold grey eyes.


"Mom, those forests are really beautiful,isn't it"she said. "It would be lovely to walk through it."


"They're lovely"said her mother without even looking. "But there is no way that that we're ever going to go in there. From what I've heard, there are many pits."


"But isn't it truly beautiful?" said Kate.


"It may be but anyway you are to stay away from it, or have you already gone there?" she asked looking suspiciously at her daughter.


"Of course not"Kate lied.


Her mother was a very practical person, who felt no need to explore, quite contrary to herself. She plunged into any adventure without further ado,  while her mother always pondered on the outcomes.They rarely agreed on anything and as they were both extremely stubborn, it often lead to fights. Her mother was short tempered ,but her temper subsides very soon and very often she felt bad for yelling at her daughter, who always remained silent unless she was very angry.


Kate couldn't help but feel restless for the rest of the morning and as evening drew closer, she slipped out, giving some vague excuse to her mother. She walked quickly towards their driver, Mr Simmonds. He was standing by the car, puffing on a cigarette. He was an elderly man with a kind face,


"Hey" she said, leaning beside him. 


"Hello Miss"he said. "What you doin' out here in the cold."


"I just wanted some fresh air" she replied. "Wont you get cold?"she said looking at his clothes. 


"I am used to this, Miss."he replied,smiling.


After pondering for awhile, she put forward  the topic which she wished to discuss. "The forest's really beautiful.


"It is, isn't it":he said, sounding a little distracted.


"Is it very big?"she asked.


"I'd say so, Miss" he replied.


"Do a lot of people go there?" she asked.


"Not anymore. No one cares, which makes me wonder what really catches everyone's eyes nowadays. In my childhood,we children played there and many people came to see it"he said. "Have you gone there yourself?" he asked


"Yes, once.It was wonderful, I reached a cliff. It was beautiful."


"So you'll go there again?"he asked


"I don't think so. Mother told me to stay away.


"I am surprised,Miss. I  thought you never listened to anyone."he said, smiling.


He moved away towards her mother who was gesturing wildly from the house. "You had better get in. It's getting dark and storm's in the air."


Kate trudged back to the house. Her mother was already cutting the cake, She gave one to Kate, She ate it and instantly gave her approval. 


The rest of the day went forward uneventfully. As the clock struck ten, both the mother and daughter went to their respective bedrooms, while one was pondering on her work , the other was thinking abstractedly about the forest outside.


Kate soon lay in bed. She closed her eyes and she soon  drifted off to a peaceful sleep. 



© 2016 catwoman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Arghhhh I reread this chapter and I am feeling so frustrated that I can't read the next chapter!! Sorry, this is a compliment. :D I know I already gave a review but...I am so excited for the next chapter!
Phenomenal and too frustrating (kidding haha)
-LK

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

9 Years Ago

thanks :D i have been a little busy lately and for some reason i can't seem to write the next chapte.. read more



Reviews

Arghhhh I reread this chapter and I am feeling so frustrated that I can't read the next chapter!! Sorry, this is a compliment. :D I know I already gave a review but...I am so excited for the next chapter!
Phenomenal and too frustrating (kidding haha)
-LK

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

9 Years Ago

thanks :D i have been a little busy lately and for some reason i can't seem to write the next chapte.. read more
This really gave a good feel to it; a good read. It could be edited a few more times but otherwise its truly amazing! I wonder if Kate will go back in the Forest? ...
Keep writing!
-LK

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

9 Years Ago

thanks for reading it :)
This could use some editing but it definitely has some potential. Keep at it :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

9 Years Ago

thanks for reading it :)
this is a good chapter the book is coming nicely

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

catwoman

9 Years Ago

thanks for reading it :)
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 6, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2016


Author

catwoman
catwoman

Writing
Chapter-1 Chapter-1

A Chapter by catwoman


Unforgotten Unforgotten

A Book by catwoman