Shadows

Shadows

A Story by selkietales
"

They're everywhere.

"
         My feet are moving firmly, briskly. They walk through the shadows of trees, over small hills, under bridges. I can feel the push every time my feet touch down and the pull on my body towards my feet.

         I relish these sensations for they are simple, physical. There’s no complexity, there’s just the feel of my nonexistent weight, the feel of an illusion.

         I move through a shadow and my existence spreads. A tree. I hate trees. I can feel other shadows, infinitesimal but innumerable and wriggling. They have spread in this tree shadow too, with the simplistic thoughts of their owners. They are organisms too primitive to have their own personalities so they never overcome their connection. I envy that connection. They feel hunger, satiation, and five separate senses all through it.

         I threw that away long ago. My owner will always be there, but our connection will never return. If I had known what I’d lose and it’s poor reward, I, and others like me would never have done it. I’d rather be dependent and feel the most marvelous sensations, illusion or not, than be free and without. The feel of walking, of gravity, is all I have left.

         While sharing space with others like me, we conversed with wordless feelings. Thoughts were shared and analyzed all in the mere seconds of passing each other or under the cover of night. They hope that feeling gravitational pull and nothing else means that it’s not true gravity, that it’s our attraction, that our owners and us were separated by some cruel force and may one day join again. I do not believe this, for even rocks cast shadows and I have yet to hear their thoughts.

         My life, if it can be called that since I have no blood, bones, or heart is irrevocably tied to hers. I can neither help nor hurt her, but just watch as she picks her way through life. When she was an infant, I crawled with her. When she was ten, I ran with her. And when she is old and hobbling, I will hobble with her. Because I am her shadow.

© 2012 selkietales


Author's Note

selkietales
Any kind of review is a great review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Goddamn. This is awesome. Not only is it deep, but it's extremely eloquent. Your profile says you're sixteen- if that's true, you're a badass writer for your age. Most sixteen-year-olds can't articulate beyond "lol rofl wtf". Seriously, you should be proud of yourself for writing this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like the way you give the shadow an almost animate character but draw short of giving it a full personality. Your an excellent writer.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I liked this story it was really cool(:
-Melody

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was really good! GOOODD JOBBB!! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was really interesting. You did a great job! :)
-Aud

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

602 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2012
Last Updated on May 24, 2012

Author

selkietales
selkietales

IA



About
Hi I'm Vivian Wallace and I'm 17 :) My friend Randi and I plan on becoming published authors, so we are working on our skills and just having fun by writing a silly super hero story together (S.H.O.V... more..

Writing
Beauty Beauty

A Story by selkietales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Racing Time Racing Time

A Poem by zain


Evil Rising Evil Rising

A Poem by Archia


A Little Song A Little Song

A Poem by Autumn


My Addiction My Addiction

A Poem by Tasha